+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Babies and Bathwater

O/T:- Babies and Bathwater

We are into a new era in the civilised world which is ruled by mobs and knee-jerk reaction. Social media is responsible for the spread of a revisionist attitude that is not healthy when it isn't carefully thought out.
    As an example, the knives are out for Baden-Powell because some sources identify him as a Nazi sympathiser. Yet this may be down to nothing more than his adoption of the swastika as a symbol in the 1920's. He lived for many years in India where the swastika is a symbol of good luck.
    Would it be a good idea to turn the sites of Nazi concentration camps into beautifully lawned public parks so we can forget what horrible places they were? Or is it better to hang on them as a permanent reminder?
    Rather than throwing statues into the docks after mob invasion, why not re-erect the statue in museum or put a public disclaimer on the base of the statue, pointing out that here is a man who did so much for Bristol but by foul means?
    Now the attention is on Queen Victoria here and Confederate generals in the US.
    But these people are undeniably a part of history and cannot be denied a place in it. We learn from the bad things we have done in our own lives just as we learn from the bad deeds of people in history.
    It is a mindless act to simply destroy artefacts from yesterday on the spur of the moment
    Last edited by SwalePie; 11-06-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed title/prefix format

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    We are into a new era in the civilised world which is ruled by mobs and knee-jerk reaction. Social media is responsible for the spread of a revisionist attitude that is not healthy when it isn't carefully thought out.
    As an example, the knives are out for Baden-Powell because some sources identify him as a Nazi sympathiser. Yet this may be down to nothing more than his adoption of the swastika as a symbol in the 1920's. He lived for many years in India where the swastika is a symbol of good luck.
    Would it be a good idea to turn the sites of Nazi concentration camps into beautifully lawned public parks so we can forget what horrible places they were? Or is it better to hang on them as a permanent reminder?
    Rather than throwing statues into the docks after mob invasion, why not re-erect the statue in museum or put a public disclaimer on the base of the statue, pointing out that here is a man who did so much for Bristol but by foul means?
    But these people are undeniably a part of history and cannot be denied a place in it. We learn from the bad things we have done in our own lives just as we learn from the bad deeds of people in history.al
    It is a mindless act to simply destroy artefacts from yesterday on the spur of the moment
    Totally agree, but please be careful as I was asked if I was "a closet racist" for saying almost the same thing about mob rule and vandalism.

But these people are undeniably a part of history and cannot be denied a place in it. We learn from the bad things we have done in our own lives just as we learn from the bad deeds of people in history.
    Have a look at this websight for an insight into what isn't to be allowed.
    https://www.toppletheracists.org/

Councils are also starting the process of inviting comments on what public statues and memorials should be removed.

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-c...eas-steve-reed

Sid as usual I think this could have gone on the other thread, but I agree with your point.

Statues of Christopher Columbus are now being decapitated and Gone With The Wind has been taken off air. It's definitely got a a hint of cultural revolution about it.

At the heart of the left and its cronies is the devil.

It destroys and burns everything in its path, if it can.

Just look at the BBC. The beast runs rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post

Councils are also starting the process of inviting comments on what public statues and memorials should be removed.

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-c...eas-steve-reed
    I don't mind that as long as it's done democratically.

Netflix have now removed "The League of Gentlemen" and "The Mighty Boosh" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't mind that as long as it's done democratically.
    Being cynical I think the review seems to be a response to the threat of disorder (see the plan to remove Baden-Powell) so I'm not sure how democratic it will be.
    If people want a statue of Robert Peel in Birmingham toppling because he created the modern police then I don't hold much hope for democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    At the heart of the left and its cronies is the devil.

It destroys and burns everything in its path, if it can.

Just look at the BBC. The beast runs rampant.
    I think I'm paraphrasing something I've read somewhere along the way but the far-left and the far-right are just different journeys to the same destination.

I agree with every word you've written there sid.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast