+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Black lives matters

Black lives matters

All this has got out of hand.First I do not agree with having Black Lives Matter on the back of Premier League shirts or going down on one knee.It started with the death of George Floyd in America.The way he died was terrible and the police who arrested him should be severely punished.But George Floyd was arrested for passing counterfeit money and had a long history of criminal offences including armed robbery so he was not the saint that some people paint him to be but he still did not deserve to die the way he did.I know black people have had it rough in the States but that is no reason for the marches in the cities of the UK,damaging property and statues.The statues are part of our history,and as for colonialism all the European countries where doing it because that is how it was in the past.Right or Wrong you cannot alter history by destroying property.
    Slavery was wrong and terrible so as well as pulling statues down in this country why not pull the Colleseum (I don’t think I have the spelling right) down in Rome because the Romans trained the slaves to be gladiators and killed in the name of sport and some of the slaves were white from Britain.The we could pull the pyramids down in Egypt because although I know slaves were not used to build the pyramids Egypt had thousands of slaves.Also the Inca buildings in Mexico should come down because people were sacrificed in the name of religion.Even the ancient black people in Africa had slaves but I don’t know what you can pull down there.To be a racist is wrong but it doesn’t help by destroying property.One of the daftest things that people are accused of being racist is Black Peter in Holland,this was a boy who went down the chimneys on the 5th of December to deliver presents for the children.The reason he was black was that he was covered in soot but some say it’s racist.
    All lives should matter not just black ones,what about the young girls in Rotherham and other places around the country that were ruined by Muslims or the poor kids in Aden dying from hunger and military action from different Muslim religions.
    As the old saying says “Life is hard” but the colour of ones skin should not matter but destroying property doesn’t help.
    By the way I have moved back to South Yorkshire after suffering another stroke and my sons wanted me back down here because they said I was too far away in Filey but I do miss the seaside and my little Yorker thinks the same.I have now passed my 80th birthday but still think they will have to shoot me to get rid of me.I now rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    All this has got out of hand.First I do not agree with having Black Lives Matter on the back of Premier League shirts or going down on one knee.It started with the death of George Floyd in America.The way he died was terrible and the police who arrested him should be severely punished.But George Floyd was arrested for passing counterfeit money and had a long history of criminal offences including armed robbery so he was not the saint that some people paint him to be but he still did not deserve to die the way he did.I know black people have had it rough in the States but that is no reason for the marches in the cities of the UK,damaging property and statues.The statues are part of our history,and as for colonialism all the European countries where doing it because that is how it was in the past.Right or Wrong you cannot alter history by destroying property.
    Slavery was wrong and terrible so as well as pulling statues down in this country why not pull the Colleseum (I don’t think I have the spelling right) down in Rome because the Romans trained the slaves to be gladiators and killed in the name of sport and some of the slaves were white from Britain.The we could pull the pyramids down in Egypt because although I know slaves were not used to build the pyramids Egypt had thousands of slaves.Also the Inca buildings in Mexico should come down because people were sacrificed in the name of religion.Even the ancient black people in Africa had slaves but I don’t know what you can pull down there.To be a racist is wrong but it doesn’t help by destroying property.One of the daftest things that people are accused of being racist is Black Peter in Holland,this was a boy who went down the chimneys on the 5th of December to deliver presents for the children.The reason he was black was that he was covered in soot but some say it’s racist.
    All lives should matter not just black ones,what about the young girls in Rotherham and other places around the country that were ruined by Muslims or the poor kids in Aden dying from hunger and military action from different Muslim religions.
    As the old saying says “Life is hard” but the colour of ones skin should not matter but destroying property doesn’t help.
    By the way I have moved back to South Yorkshire after suffering another stroke and my sons wanted me back down here because they said I was too far away in Filey but I do miss the seaside and my little Yorker thinks the same.I have now passed my 80th birthday but still think they will have to shoot me to get rid of me.I now rest my case.
    Hope you've settled back in south yorkshire Filey and in good health sir .

Fantastic to hear from you. We all wondered how you were, and I’m sure we are all pleased to know that you are well. Stay safe friend.

Father of the Board.
    Keep thissen fettled Filey.

One thing that I don't agree with is the politicising of football shirts with the slogan "Black Lives Matter", no matter whether I agree with the sentiment or not. I thought it was against FA/ EFL rules.
    Just imagine the arguments if shirts last year ed the slogan "Get Brexit Done" on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Father of the Board.
    Keep thissen fettled Filey.

One thing that I don't agree with is the politicising of football shirts with the slogan "Black Lives Matter", no matter whether I agree with the sentiment or not. I thought it was against FA/ EFL rules.
    Just imagine the arguments if shirts last year ed the slogan "Get Brexit Done" on the back.
    It would certainly be interesting if a PL player didn't want to take the knee or have BLM message on the back of his shirt , a James McClean if you will .

He could simply say I think politics and sport should be separate issues and I support BLM in my own way off the field .

He'd have a point too because I'm old enough to remember 3 successive Olympic Games where country's boycotted the event .

1976 in Montreal it was the African nations , the 1980 Moscow games it was the US and four years later in LA it was the Russians .

I remember all the talk at that time too because the games were weakened as a spectacle and they said politics shouldn't be used in this way in sport and should be kept out of it .

Perhaps we should have had End Austerity on the back of our shirts for the last ten years seen as this town has suffered some of the worst of the government cuts in the entire UK .

The town per head receives £5 from central government in funding , in London it's £70 per head .

Doesn't Barnsley Lives Matter too , whose had their knee on our throat then metaphorically speaking ? .

Not wishing to take anything away from BLM by any means and their movement is a good one but towns like ours are discriminated against too and they'd be hell on if our football club went all political and that's a fact .

"The Roster's Fine"

"Best Window Ever"

"Dog Pays Nowt"

"Profit Not Ambition"

--- a rich field of possibilities for slogans on the back of BFC shirts

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It would certainly be interesting if a PL player didn't want to take the knee or have BLM message on the back of his shirt , a James McClean if you will .

He could simply say I think politics and sport should be separate issues and I support BLM in my own way off the field .

He'd have a point too because I'm old enough to remember 3 successive Olympic Games where country's boycotted the event .

1976 in Montreal it was the African nations , the 1980 Moscow games it was the US and four years later in LA it was the Russians .

I remember all the talk at that time too because the games were weakened as a spectacle and they said politics shouldn't be used in this way in sport and should be kept out of it .

Perhaps we should have had End Austerity on the back of our shirts for the last ten years seen as this town has suffered some of the worst of the government cuts in the entire UK .

The town per head receives £5 from central government in funding , in London it's £70 per head .

Doesn't Barnsley Lives Matter too , whose had their knee on our throat then metaphorically speaking ? .

Not wishing to take anything away from BLM by any means and their movement is a good one but towns like ours are discriminated against too and they'd be hell on if our football club went all political and that's a fact .
    The fact is that they're too shyte scared to oppose anything to do with political racism due to being accused of racism themselves if they don't comply. People that demonstrate are supposed to want social equality but it seems to me that they want more than that. In 100 years time the white race will have no say in anything. Where will that leave us?

Racism can be beaten without all these extreme measures like lettering on footballers shirts,taking the knee and all these marches through the streets of this country.They are political measures and should be kept out of any sport.I have had many good coloured friends in my life including a Muslim couple who live local to me with a little girl who thinks I am her Grandad,and I am proud to be her Grandad.When I have not been very well they have been there to give me help.If I tried taking the knee now I would have to call my Muslim friends to get me back up on my feet.The marches in this country should be stopped because not only are they costing thousands of pounds to police when the money could be used to help people who need it.Also the people that go on the marches risk spreading the coronavirus pandemic which will put more cost and pressure on the NHS and kill people most at risk such as the black people they are marching for and the elderly like me.If “Black lives matter” so much to them they should stop going on these marches which would save some of the black lives they are marching for.
    In the US all these marches are spreading the virus more,can’t they understand they are helping to kill more of their own race by doing it?
    For Gods sake stop the marches and help this poor old man live a little bit longer.

Racism can be beaten without all these extreme measures like lettering on footballers shirts,taking the knee and all these marches through the streets of this country.They are political measures and should be kept out of any sport.I have had many good coloured friends in my life including a Muslim couple who live local to me with a little girl who thinks I am her Grandad,and I am proud to be her Grandad.When I have not been very well they have been there to give me help.If I tried taking the knee now I would have to call my Muslim friends to get me back up on my feet.The marches in this country should be stopped because not only are they costing thousands of pounds to police when the money could be used to help people who need it.Also the people that go on the marches risk spreading the coronavirus pandemic which will put more cost and pressure on the NHS and kill people most at risk such as the black people they are marching for and the elderly like me.If “Black lives matter” so much to them they should stop going on these marches which would save some of the black lives they are marching for.
    In the US all these marches are spreading the virus more,can’t they understand they are helping to kill more of their own race by doing it?
    For Gods sake stop the marches and help this poor old man live a little bit longer.

Absolutely spot on with that post Filey, very well said and makes a lot of sense.

I agree with the sentiments entirely.