+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scousers win title in silence

Scousers win title in silence

The crowds were hushed, no sound of "You'll Never Walk Alone" came forth from the crowded Anfield kop.

Not only did Liverpool win by default due to another team losing (echos of our titles) but also no scousers could infiltrate Stamford Bridge to cheer on the home side for once in their lives.

Its a shame really that after 30 years, 1149 games, 239 players etc etc the feat was greeted in silence: the only sound coming from simulated overdubbed TV noise. The pubs are empty and silent, a few knotted clusters of supporters listening on the radio in the local parks raise a glass to their heroes and return to their homes cheered yet curiously sober.

There is always the prospect of going and standing quietly somewhere adjacent to the ground for the celebratory home game to follow, but being responsible citizens, Stanley Park is likely to be a barren scene, rather than the usual cauldron of adulation and passion.

Or is it?

You obviously have not seen the scenes of 1000s of Liverpool fans celebrating last night. I can understand the frustrations of the many more 1000s who respected the lockdown.

Just think what would have happened if they had won the title whilst playing a game, after the pubs had reopened on the 4th.

Ah, another example of irony being lost in written format. A bit like Marriott's groin issues being due to him playing in the hole, not as a striker, yesterday!

Totally agree GP. How very dare they be handed it on a plate by a team from Manchester losing... and they made sure the League didn't go down to the wire, keeping it interesting for everybody, I mean, there's still 7 games to go. Waste of time..........

New points record?
    New points difference to the 2nd placed team record?

Saw some Manc online saying "13 to 1 ahead on PL titles". I gently (cough) reminded him that the PL winners are, just as were the winners of the old First Division, CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND. I asked "didn't Man Us 7 old titles count?" It's 20-19 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    You obviously have not seen the scenes of 1000s of Liverpool fans celebrating last night. I can understand the frustrations of the many more 1000s who respected the lockdown.

Just think what would have happened if they had won the title whilst playing a game, after the pubs had reopened on the 4th.
    Not defending them...but they’ve waited three decades and, having seen the estimated half a million on Dorset’s beaches yesterday, who can blame them?

Crowds in Dove Dale yesterday were unprecedented, as they were elsewhere in the Peak District. As a local resident I don’t blame them for coming...just wish they’d take their rubbish home. Only a minority obviously, but what is the point of visiting local beauty spots and leaving your trash there?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not defending them...but they’ve waited three decades and, having seen the estimated half a million on Dorset’s beaches yesterday, who can blame them?

Crowds in Dove Dale yesterday were unprecedented, as they were elsewhere in the Peak District. As a local resident I don’t blame them for coming...just wish they’d take their rubbish home. Only a minority obviously, but what is the point of visiting local beauty spots and leaving your trash there?
    Sorry GP, your sense of irony passed straight over my head.

It begs the question, what can you do with a huge minority of the British public that show no respect for others or even, themselves? I truly despair at the attitude of a large number of fellow residents of this country, are we unique or does this behaviour continue around the world?

Short of declaring martial law, what can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Sorry GP, your sense of irony passed straight over my head.

It begs the question, what can you do with a huge minority of the British public that show no respect for others or even, themselves? I truly despair at the attitude of a large number of fellow residents of this country, are we unique or does this behaviour continue around the world?

Short of declaring martial law, what can be done?
    I think, from personal observation, that the vast majority believe that the restrictions are now over, or at least, for some twisted reasoning, dont apply to them because they want to do something.

No doubt rA will find a way to blame unclear government advice, but the reality is that the great majority of the population are too thick or too uncaring to understand that there are still vulnerable people out there who they can indirectly transit it too. Yes death numbers are down to merely a few each day, but the way I look at it, those few deaths lie fairly and squarely in the hands of the selfish revellers, wherever they may be

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think, from personal observation, that the vast majority believe that the restrictions are now over, or at least, for some twisted reasoning, dont apply to them because they want to do something.

No doubt rA will find a way to blame unclear government advice, but the reality is that the great majority of the population are too thick or too uncaring to understand that there are still vulnerable people out there who they can indirectly transit it too. Yes death numbers are down to merely a few each day, but the way I look at it, those few deaths lie fairly and squarely in the hands of the selfish revellers, wherever they may be
    Tbf, GP...I agree with you about those - not actually the ‘great majority’ - who are ‘too thick or too uncaring’, but government advice has been ‘unclear’ throughout and driven by populism too.

Never let it be said that you arent predictible!!..I saw some strange ONS stats today that suggested there were only 90 deaths due to covid (50/50 men/women) amongst teachers: out of about 50,000 that doesnt suggest that its as risky as you had worried about. Many many more risky jobs it seems that are definitely not as customer facing - eg administrators, managers, company directors etc.

Same stats, which analysed death by job, seemed to point to 44,000 out of 50000 deaths did not have a job - presumably mostly retired. About 90% of all deaths, to help you with maths

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Never let it be said that you arent predictible!!..I saw some strange ONS stats today that suggested there were only 90 deaths due to covid (50/50 men/women) amongst teachers: out of about 50,000 that doesnt suggest that its as risky as you had worried about. Many many more risky jobs it seems that are definitely not as customer facing - eg administrators, managers, company directors etc.

Same stats, which analysed death by job, seemed to point to 44,000 out of 50000 deaths did not have a job - presumably mostly retired. About 90% of all deaths, to help you with maths
    Actually it’s ‘aren’t predictable’...to help you with both grammar and spelling.

Possibly it wasn’t as ‘risky’ because the schools were largely closed between March and June and are still only functioning at a very reduced capacity in terms of physical rather then online ‘attendance’.

My concern, as you may recall, wasn’t entirely about teachers, but about all adults - including parents and other adult family members - who come into contact with children who, in turn, would be forming much more of a ‘melting pot’ if the social distancing rules had not been so well observed in schools.

I wonder if you’ve ventured back to your office yet...but really this isn’t some sort of competition to see who’s most at risk, it’s about taking the necessary steps to protect people and avoid a second ‘wave’.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)