+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Strikers

Strikers

Austin and Zohore both had fairly poor scoring records over their careers yet we still went and splashed out big (for us) on them. I do wonder what management were thinking about. We have to get it right this time whether we go up or stay down. Not easy, but I'd rather take a chance on players that have been banging them in reguarly in the first division than Prem or Championship occasional scorers. The players we really need to look at are those who play for clubs who just miss out on promotion.
    I know it's not easy but we need to get it right or we will crash and burn before the new year.
    I'd like to know what our is going to do. I believe he bought the club merely so he could say he owned a top division English club. He now knows if that's what he wants then he has to spend big to keep us up. I'd like to see 4 new strikers, inclding two from division one, maybe one from one of the Championship high fliers who miss out on Promotion.
    Hark at me! We ain't even up yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Austin and Zohore both had fairly poor scoring records over their careers yet we still went and splashed out big (for us) on them. I do wonder what management were thinking about. We have to get it right this time whether we go up or stay down. Not easy, but I'd rather take a chance on players that have been banging them in reguarly in the first division than Prem or Championship occasional scorers. The players we really need to look at are those who play for clubs who just miss out on promotion.
    I know it's not easy but we need to get it right or we will crash and burn before the new year.
    I'd like to know what our is going to do. I believe he bought the club merely so he could say he owned a top division English club. He now knows if that's what he wants then he has to spend big to keep us up. I'd like to see 4 new strikers, inclding two from division one, maybe one from one of the Championship high fliers who miss out on Promotion.

That little f ucker somewhere in China will be singing with his wallet firmly shut tight:

我们有Kanu-Robson Kanu-认为您不了解

We got Kanu- Robson Kanu - Don't think you understand

Whether we go up or not we still desperately need a striker (or 2)

For me Austin seemed a good signing on the last day of window for £4 million. Don't know where you get 'poor scoring record' from as outside of the Prem he averages well in excess of a goal every other game. If he maintained that we would have celebrating promotion all together before lockdown. At 30 he shouldn't be past it but he is imo.

Zohore was a strange one. One no more than decent season for Cardiff in the Championship followed by 2 poor returns. Remember reading Cardiff Fan Forums who couldn't believe we paid £8 million. Looked at bad deal at the time and haven't seen anything to change that belief.

Kanu. Not his fault he hasn't scored enough. Even his mom wouldn't consider him a Championship striker!

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post

For me Austin seemed a good signing on the last day of window for £4 million. Don't know where you get 'poor scoring record' from as outside of the Prem he averages well in excess of a goal every other game. If he maintained that we would have celebrating promotion all together before lockdown. At 30 he shouldn't be past it but he is imo.

Zohore was a strange one. One no more than decent season for Cardiff in the Championship followed by 2 poor returns. Remember reading Cardiff Fan Forums who couldn't believe we paid £8 million. Looked at bad deal at the time and haven't seen anything to change that belief.

Kanu. Not his fault he hasn't scored enough. Even his mom wouldn't consider him a Championship striker!

Let’s say we don’t go up - all three strikers still need to be shipped out. Not one of them is fit to lace Gayle’s boots and here lies the problem. Benrahma has many qualities and reminds me of Pete Odenwingie as he can produce magic. HRK works hard but so does one of my employees but sadly the person is not good enough so needs to go!!! Look at Greenwood for Man U at 18 - you either have it or you don’t! This guy has two good feet and ruthless in front of goal so that’s what we need to be looking at!!!

Zohore must be one of the worst signings we have ever made, League Two standard at best. That lad that we loaned out to Northampton should definitely be in the squad for next season. Anybody looked at Hayes football club, perhaps they might have another big, fast, black centre forward we could buy off them........

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post

I think Austin has reached double figures in a season once in his career. On reflection It's not so much their scoring record as much as are they they the right type of strikers for our style of play. Neither are.

I think Austin has reached double figures in a season once in his career. On reflection It's not so much their scoring record as much as are they they the right type of strikers for our style of play. Neither are.
    127 goals in 247 matches outside the Premier Chris.........that’s about as good a ratio as you get at any level of pro football at more than a goal every other game.

I’d take that quality of striker at any level every day of the week and it leaves Bob Taylor and many others in his rear view mirror.

113 in 324 for Taylor and 10 in 29 for Austin yet one is a “legend” and the other is a fat c u n t by all accounts!

He’s scored a minimum of 10-25 goals in every season he’s played outside the Premier so you need to check your facts old lad!

He got 16 in 71 Premier games as well so just around a goal every 4 games whereas Odemwingie got 30 in 87 for us and is regarded as our best ( owned ) Prem striker.

If Austin was playing alongside a livewire like Gayle or a worker like Andy Hunt and had a peak Chris Brunt and Gera supplying him he’d get 25 a season at this level.

We’ve sorted out our lack of pace and creativity in forward midfield areas but we now badly need to address two strikers to compliment Austin if we keep him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)