+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is our squad 'Premiership' standard?

Is our squad 'Premiership' standard?

So many differing views across all types of social media these last few months about our squad being 'not good enough' for the Premiership. While I feel like we definitely need a few signings, when you look at the teams who are likely to be challenging us this season, I'm not so sure anyone can define what 'Premiership standard' even is?

Take away Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs who have squads jam packed full of players who have played most of their careers at Scottish Prem level or above, and there are teams who I dont think we should be fearing in any way.

Motherwell have had a few good seasons now and have a settled squad but their main striker next season is going to be Jordan White. We all saw him multiple times last season, he is decent, but hardly a massive step up for us to be dealing with?

Livingston came into the Prem with a squad full of players who had mostly never played a minute in the top league. Their star man Dykes was also no more than average against us for QoS in his time there.

Hamilton have just signed Callaghan, Trafford and Smith who played for Dundee, ICT and Airdrie last season.

St Johnstone's back 4 will include Callum Booth along with Rooney and McCart from ICT who we scored 9 goals in 3 games against last season.

Ross County have a squad full of average players who have flitted between Prem and Championship throughout their careers. Spittal, Graham, Gardyne etc to name a couple.

I'm not saying our squad is the best it could be, I definitely want some players in, but I'm seeing some panic among many fans but I think some are over-exagerating the quality of the opposition we will face next season.

A good question would be.What squad is better,the one that got relegated or the one that got promoted?.
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 19-07-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Its hard to tell. Some players will step up to premiership football and do well...others might not! Next season is going to be strange to say the least and survival is our number 1 goal! This virus has effected every team. I don't have high hopes for this season but will be glad if we are sitting mid table when the January window opens. There is so much uncertainty with how each team is going to cope with this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Its hard to tell. Some players will step up to premiership football and do well...others might not! Next season is going to be strange to say the least and survival is our number 1 goal! This virus has effected every team. I don't have high hopes for this season but will be glad if we are sitting mid table when the January window opens. There is so much uncertainty with how each team is going to cope with this pandemic.
    That's the way i'm thinking too,Hearts have done everything in their power to wreck our promotion but fortunately for us the pandemic has made the playing field pretty level albeit The Rangers have been shaking the money tree again.

We just have to get a centre half in though as we allowed Watson to leave,i know we need more than that but centre half is our number one priority.NO PLAYER should be sold to Hearts or anybody else for that matter.

Based on last season, no. We huffed & puffed and stumbled over the line against a league of really poor teams. In a one off game, we may be able to match a few of the teams in the Prem, but over the course of the season, I think we'd struggle with the team we have right now. Just look at the bench we had yesterday, it was full of kids. Our strength in depth is very poor. Even at a Championship level we struggled with key players out. With a few signings in key areas I'd be a lot more confident

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Based on last season, no. We huffed & puffed and stumbled over the line against a league of really poor teams. In a one off game, we may be able to match a few of the teams in the Prem, but over the course of the season, I think we'd struggle with the team we have right now. Just look at the bench we had yesterday, it was full of kids. Our strength in depth is very poor. Even at a Championship level we struggled with key players out. With a few signings in key areas I'd be a lot more confident
    Agree. The squad in my opinion is no where near strong enough to sustain any decent challenge in prem.

That said the only slight glimmer of hope we may have. Is that MM might be able to get more out of the existing players, and from what I’ve read can change tactics and adapt if needed during games. If this is the case I’m sure we will survive the first season, but without any new additions this may well be all we will do. If so I’d be happy with that.

Congrats to DUFC! Good luck next season and have fun, everyone.

opinions on the squad will vary as always.

my opinions on it are.
    We currently only have 3 players who i think would be able to handle the step up no problem.
    Benji, Shankland and Butcher. this is purely based on how much they dominated the Championship last season.

I think there is a group who will likely be good enough but would need to deal with the step up.
    All defence, Harkes, Pawlett, McMullan, Clark, Appere.

then there are a few who are difficult to predict.
    C. Smith, Sporle, Powers.

plus the youngsters who we don't know how much they will impact the team.

overall i think we had a decent enough of a squad to compete with most teams in the league and be away from any problems. i do think it will depend on how MM sets up the team as players might look completely different playing under MM compared to RN.

interesting times ahead

Interesting question.

Think we definitely need 2/3 signings in the areas abady has been discussing over recent weeks. We have the basis of a no bad squad but need some additions.

One thing that is interesting, personally I think we have a much better manager. We shall see however. I am hopeful.

PS

Phuk Hertz

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Agree with this weegiearab. Good post.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)