+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is Rross?

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I've had a couple of good breaks at Colvend in Dumfries and Galloway.

Bit of walking, decent wee villages, couple of good golf courses.

They were freebies though, the lodge would have been £550 for the week.......not overly expensive as it was spotless and in a great site but dear. if you need the weather to enjoy yourself.....Scotland really isn't an option.
    The last time I looked Golf in Dumfries and Galloway is a lot cheaper than other parts of Scotland. Dumfries and Galloway is a bit of a backwater which might account for cheaper prices to encourage people to take a holiday in that region.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I am interested to know which parts of Scotland are suitable for a holiday which are not that expensive.
    The internet makes it all lot easier to compare prices for holiday accommodation thanks to sites such as Booking.com, AirBNB and Trip Advisor.
    Looking at these sites I am shocked at how expensive Hotels and self catering is on islands in the Inner Hebrides.
    Three years ago my wife and I fancied having a short holiday during the month of October on the island of Mull. We were shocked how expensive hotels were in Mull despite it almost being the end of the season. There is also the added cost of travelling to these islands by Calmac ferry.
    I use youth hostels and I don't eat in hotel restaurants which tend to be extortionate, self catering is the best way to go and that involves taking the food and supplies you'd normally use in that time at home so costs nothing extra in reality. If I go out for a meal it tends to be a bar meal which I might do at home anyway while off work so again no extra cost. You can get a private double or twin room in the Tobermory hostel for the week for less than £350. It costs around £100 return for two people plus a car from Port Askaig to Kennacraig. Add fuel and you're looking at around £500 for two people for a week on Mull. Is £250 per person for a week away really that expensive? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I use youth hostels and I don't eat in hotel restaurants which tend to be extortionate, self catering is the best way to go and that involves taking the food and supplies you'd normally use in that time at home so costs nothing extra in reality. If I go out for a meal it tends to be a bar meal which I might do at home anyway while off work so again no extra cost. You can get a private double or twin room in the Tobermory hostel for the week for less than £350. It costs around £100 return for two people plus a car from Port Askaig to Kennacraig. Add fuel and you're looking at around £500 for two people for a week on Mull. Is £250 per person for a week away really that expensive? Not for me.
    The weather is the only ‘problem’ in Scotland and even then it depends on the type of holiday you like. I can’t stand beach holidays as I get bored so really wouldn’t thank anyone for that type of break. Was in Achmelvich and Skye week before last and the weather wasn’t great but everything else was. Not that excited about being in a plane right now either so staying in Scotland works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    The last time I looked Golf in Dumfries and Galloway is a lot cheaper than other parts of Scotland. Dumfries and Galloway is a bit of a backwater which might account for cheaper prices to encourage people to take a holiday in that region.
    The night sky was stunning down there especially when we were down in December.

Never seen as many stars since the Italians were at Dens.

Is Islay the same?

Can't say I noticed when I was at Mackrehanish.

Surely if you’ve lived and been brought up in Scotland all your life and go to Skye and it rains,is that a surprise!!!
    It’s like people moaning about Monday’s if your in say your mid fifties have you not got used to it coming after every Sunday by now ....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I’m booked up to do the NC500 in September, booked 5 different hotels with B&B, I like a bit comfort so got decent hotels, total £452 for them all, happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    I’m booked up to do the NC500 in September, booked 5 different hotels with B&B, I like a bit comfort so got decent hotels, total £452 for them all, happy with that
    Enjoy, great holiday regardless of weather.

To be fair if you're careful the hostels are pretty comfortable. Just avoid the ones that have male and female dormitories and try to book a private room.

The Scottish Government is perceived to have done a decent job and this is reflected in public opinion , However no doubt this will all come out in the wash when there is an public enquiry

It’s very very difficult for any Government in what is a an unprecedented tragic and still unfinished event.

So many variables /unknowns and scientific advice changing almost daily.

I don’t feel comfortable with any government playing deaths top trumps while comparing to other nations.

I absolutely abhor people who refuse to wear a face covering in public because they believe from social media that the virus is a hoax and then boast about not wearing a mask on social media .

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    The Scottish Government is perceived to have done a decent job and this is reflected in public opinion , However no doubt this will all come out in the wash when there is an public enquiry

It’s very very difficult for any Government in what is a an unprecedented tragic and still unfinished event.

So many variables /unknowns and scientific advice changing almost daily.

I don’t feel comfortable with any government playing deaths top trumps while comparing to other nations.

I absolutely abhor people who refuse to wear a face covering in public because they believe from social media that the virus is a hoax and then boast about not wearing a mask on social media .
    I'm exempt but wouldn't wear one even if I wasn't.

If someone wants to stop me going in their shop.....fine....I'll go elsewhere.....no big deal, don't really go to shops, dont use public transport....well maybe twice a year.

Was in Baynes last week..

Sign on the door saying 3 in at a time.

I was 3rd in the queue.....guy mid 30s in front and a guy who was 60ish with a "stay safe" mask on and a pair of Dexys midnight runners dungarees, not works dungarees or the dab variety but a "fashion" pair.

Guy in front of me must a got an inch or two too close to dungarees man who turned round pulled mask down and shouted "back off".

Didnae go Doon well with Mr normal and a wee Dundee gadge argument started....back and forth hit for tat until Mr normal hit the winner......"look mate there's mair chance of me dying laughing at they breeks than you dying cause an standing an inch closer than two ****ing metres"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)