+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 120 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

You seem to have a great deal of knowledge about the EMA and I simply don’t know enough to argue.

My only point is that you began your argument by questioning whether, as participants in the EMA, we would have made as much progress with vaccination as we have. You then used this as a potential criticism of Starmer because he had, according to you, backed our membership of the EMA. When asked when this was you came up with ‘four years ago’ in 2017.

In all fairness, I don’t think a statement made 3-4 years ago, about our possible membership of the EMA, can be used as criticism within the context of a pandemic which only emerged 12-14 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You seem to have a great deal of knowledge about the EMA and I simply don’t know enough to argue.

My only point is that you began your argument by questioning whether, as participants in the EMA, we would have made as much progress with vaccination as we have. You then used this as a potential criticism of Starmer because he had, according to you, backed our membership of the EMA. When asked when this was you came up with ‘four years ago’ in 2017.

In all fairness, I don’t think a statement made 3-4 years ago, about our possible membership of the EMA, can be used as criticism within the context of a pandemic which only emerged 12-14 months ago.
    But had he been successful with his argument 4 years, it is likely that we wouldn't have gone down this successful, to date, vaccination programme. At some time in the last 4 years, he's changed his mind, I suspect that's likely to have happened quite recently.

On another side note, the Guardian/Observer is usually left leaning and pro EU, but the article yesterday dragged itself down to the level of the Mail or the Express. They were actually promoting that the EU's vaccination programme has been a success and qualified that it was better than that of the UK, quoting that Denmark had proportionally delivered more second doses than the UK. Any creditability that publication had, just went out of the window, for me.

Never stopped you before

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

On another side note, the Guardian/Observer is usually left leaning and pro EU, but the article yesterday dragged itself down to the level of the Mail or the Express. They were actually promoting that the EU's vaccination programme has been a success and qualified that it was better than that of the UK, quoting that Denmark had proportionally delivered more second doses than the UK. Any creditability that publication had, just went out of the window, for me.
    Yes I read that and thought it was a bit of desperation/sour grapes

I also read that The French are now spinning their pathetic effort as being superior to UK’s on the basis that a greater percentage of their population (that have had at least one jab) have had two jabs, conveniently ignoring that their base number is minuscule compared to U.K. That REALLY is desperate on the part of les frogs

Meanwhile, UKPLC power on

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Never stopped you before
    Lol...give you that one.

Andy and Ram...I don’t subscribe to any of this ‘our programme is bigger than yours’ nonsense...whether it comes from the UK, the EU, the Guardian...whoever. Neither do I support your own ‘UKPLC power on’ and ‘desperate on the part of les frogs’ etc sentiments.

My view is that we should all be responding to what is a world wide problem on a world wide level. All other nationalistic point scoring is a little parochial and pathetic imo...wherever it originates. If that makes me a naive ‘snowflake’ I can live with that.

On a slight side note...good to see crowds back at the Test match in India. Terrible, imo, to see the almost complete lack of social distancing. When will we learn?

My view is that we should all be responding to what is a world wide problem on a world wide level. All other nationalistic point scoring is a little parochial and pathetic imo...wherever it originates. If that makes me a naive ‘snowflake’ I can live with that.
    Don't call yourself names rA, to quote one of your catchphrases 'you're better than that'. we have TTR on hand for that.

I gotta make the point though that you confuse Nationalistic for Patriotic in the same way you confuse Right Wing for Conservatively inclined. God knows there's enough division in this country, we've at last found something to unite us (the vaccination programme) and I'm very happy to shout it out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Don't call yourself names rA, to quote one of your catchphrases 'you're better than that'. we have TTR on hand for that.

I gotta make the point though that you confuse Nationalistic for Patriotic in the same way you confuse Right Wing for Conservatively inclined. God knows there's enough division in this country, we've at last found something to unite us (the vaccination programme) and I'm very happy to shout it out loud
    Bullying me again?

The EU in its own way is nationalistic and protectionist.
    They got caught with their pants down. Fair enough, but what gives them the right to blame us/ try to undermine us?
    I would love the mentality to be the way RA wants to see it. Unfortunately, when not in that club, you will be treated as a THEM!
    No matter how desperate the situation is. Nothing undermines the blue flag and stars.

Hmmm...not sure I’ve confused ‘Right wing and Conservatively inclined’. At the moment we happen to have a very Right Wing Conservative Government...that’s not the same as me saying all Conservatives are very Right wing or that I fundamentally disagree with all those who are ‘Conservatively inclined’.

Likewise I think the difference between being ‘Patriotic’ and ‘Nationalistic’ is that, while the former is being supportive of one’s country - which I am, the latter is to be supportive off one’s country at the expense of another...which you are when you big up ‘UKPLC power on’
    and in the next breath talk about the French as ‘desperate les frogs’.

It should go without saying that I honestly and obviously want our vaccination process to be as successful as possible. Maybe I’ve suffered too many disappointments supporting Derby, but I’ll celebrate properly when those second jabs have gone in on time.
    It’s all a bit of a waste of time if the rest of the World lags behind though, so I’ll ‘shout loudest’ when the World works together and the strong/rich help the weak and poor...not when we might be doing a bit better than the French. I’ll save that for the Rugby.

Hmmm...not sure I’ve confused ‘Right wing and Conservatively inclined’. At the moment we happen to have a very Right Wing Conservative Government...that’s not the same as me saying all Conservatives are very Right wing or that I fundamentally disagree with all those who are ‘Conservatively inclined’.

Likewise I think the difference between being ‘Patriotic’ and ‘Nationalistic’ is that, while the former is being supportive of one’s country - which I am, the latter is to be supportive off one’s country at the expense of another...which you are when you big up ‘UKPLC power on’
    and in the next breath talk about the French as ‘desperate les frogs’.

It should go without saying that I honestly and obviously want our vaccination process to be as successful as possible. Maybe I’ve suffered too many disappointments supporting Derby, but I’ll celebrate properly when those second jabs have gone in on time.
    It’s all a bit of a waste of time if the rest of the World lags behind though, so I’ll ‘shout loudest’ when the World works together and the strong/rich help the weak and poor...not when we might be doing a bit better than the French. I’ll save that for the Rugby.
    OK, being constructive instead of just dissing your stance: tell us what you would have done with the 15 million jabs that have been at the gift of the UK government over the past twomonths, if you were in charge instead. For info, and I have thought about it, I would do just about exactly what HMG HAVE done (and intend to do)

OK, being constructive instead of just dissing your stance: tell us what you would have done with the 15 million jabs that have been at the gift of the UK government over the past twomonths, if you were in charge instead. For info, and I have thought about it, I would do just about exactly what HMG HAVE done (and intend to do)
    Not sure what your point is. I haven’t criticised the vaccination programme over the last two months. The only possible ‘fine tuning’ I’ve suggested is that those in the front line might have been given greater priority. That’s just opinion.

Page 120 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)