+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut and paste

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Don't disagree with your main point but after a slow start last season we lost only three non-OF games August to December. We were close to matching Celtic for points over the calendar year and the fact we ended up third at the postpone after our collapse in 2020 proves we had been anything but crap before.

Robinson does have a useful knack of digging out a result. I think unless we lose to Glentoran he'll be given the first round of fixtures to turn it round.
    Do you think he will be binned if and likely when Glentoran beat us ? i think not especially after his increased contract we cannot afford to offload him. Not that I would ...yet

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    Do you think he will be binned if and likely when Glentoran beat us ? i think not especially after his increased contract we cannot afford to offload him. Not that I would ...yet
    I'm not convinced we'd sack him, I think he might walk away.

The comparison to McCall isn't on our squads at the start of 2014/15 and now but the attitude of the manager. McCall had done well but was clearly just done, he had no ideas and it was time to move on. I wonder if Robinson is feeling the same, particularly when he must have imagined what it would be like to get the NI job - not a criticism, anyone in any field with an interview would feel a bit 'meh' returning to the old job...he might ask just what else he can achieve with us and his interview post-Accies suggested that while he's hurting, he just has no idea how to fix it. The point-costing change in that game was also such a petulant, childish call I wonder if he's giving up a bit - putting on Polworth for O'Hara/Campbell would have been a calculated gamble, it may or may not have worked but it would have been an adult decision. Pitching into an insane 4-2-4 was something a 12-year-old does on Championship Manager...

Like McCall, if he left now he'd go with dignity intact and plenty of credit towards his next job - if we get stuck in a downward spiral, it's harder and harder for him to find his next gig.

All mental speculation of course, nothing more than guessing from five games and a two-minute interview. If we beat Glentoran, put up a decent fight on Sunday we have two weeks to take a deep breath then thing may look different.

"If we beat Glentoran, put up a decent fight on Sunday".... then the can will be kicked down the road a bit more and will buy Robinson more time, until the next dismal 0-1 home loss to a side of similar standing. It's depressing but this really does seem like all we can hope for under this manager and with this team and that's why we need radical change. Unfortunately too many at the club are blinded by the "we're only a wee club, have a tiny budget so this is as good as it gets" outlook and nothing will change as even if/when Robinson does move on, we all know the job will go to Lasley and we'll see more of the same until we eventually sleepwalk into relegation.

I'm well aware that we aren't a 'big' club and don't have the same resources as the city clubs, but I absolutely refuse to accept that what we have just now is the best we can realistically hope for. Right now we've basically got fans and no doubt some within the club with the mindset that as long as we scrape past a NIFL pub team then avoid anything less than a 4-0 pasting at Parkhead then that's a good sign. Personally I just think it's sad and pathetic.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 26-08-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Definition of madness ... 'keep doing the same thing knowing the outcome will be the same' ... or something like that. 0-0 means a point, making stoopid subby's and chasing a never gonna get win; MADNESS !

Would you rather we lost to Glentoran and got pumped on Sunday?

We have to get our confidence up as a team and as well as players, a win tonight is a MUST. Turnbull not playing would normally have been a worry for me. But IMO it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise has we won’t hopefully be relying on one player to take all our free kicks and corners which have become so predictable. I would bring Polworth back into the team and have our midfield play balls in behind the Glentoran defence for Lang, Long, White or Watt to run onto. So far this season we have played football up to the opposition’s eigh**** yard box and then appear to run out of ideas. If we score first tonight I think we will win by a couple of goals, lose the first goal and I don’t see us having the confidence, drive or desire to turn the game round. Best of luck guys COYW

Current transfer talk would suggest Turnbull will not play tonight before his imminent move to Celtic. Therefore, assume Polworth will start and doubt named team sheet. Personally looking for good performance to simply regain confidence but care not a jot our exploits in Europe as we're NEVER a contender ... Europa a distraction and waste of time. We may/hope win tonight and will exit next round. My preference is SPL survival and cups

Confidence apart, we're playing for €260,000 tonight. A couple of seeded teams lose and we're theoretically favourites in the next round with 280k at stake. Even if you don't care about Europe, that's a mighty chunk for not much...

Anyway, as for the XI, there have been as few times as Motherwell fan I've ever been as up in the air as today. Presumably Carson and the back four remain in place because there's no one else and Campbell, if fit, is a must start. Everyone else could drop out with little complaint. We're in the bizarre situation where Harry Robinson is suddenly looking like he deserves a chance because the other wingers have all sunk below him...agree Polworth should play but given his lack of minutes this term when everyone and their granny has been thrown on there's clearly some bridge building needed.

It will be a nervous and potentially miserable night I fear.

Polworth must start, even if unfit. Set pieces though remain a concern for us, as we're not making the most of them. Wingers too remain an issue.

Progression to the next round is important. For some of our fans £280K is chickfeed and not worth the effort, but the club could do with this cash.

Having obviously only saw son of Stephen Robinson, Harry on TV, ASK why have we offered a contract ?
    We have a selection of utter phuds without acquiring another.
    Could we not have held out for a Premiership loan player or was it .. "Happy birthday Harry, here's a contract"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)