+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 Academy coaches made redundant at Dens

16 Academy coaches made redundant at Dens

It is reported in today’s Courier that 16 Academy coaches at Dens have been made redundant as a result of cost cutting measures including Barry Smith. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...-cost-cutting/
    It is reported that 12 coaches will continue to work for free.

The announcement today of coaches being made redundant would seem to confirm that the club will not recieve a payout from the insurance policy ?

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    The announcement today of coaches being made redundant would seem to confirm that the club will not recieve a payout from the insurance policy ?
    How on earth can you make that link? The savings from this will be negligible.

If people are going to volunteer for free it would suggest to me that's because we are still awaiting the insurance news.

If they have decided nobody will be getting taken back on I doubt we would have so many continuing to work for free.

All up in the air is my hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    How on earth can you make that link? The savings from this will be negligible.
    It seems very logical to me, if a large payout was forthcoming, the coaching issue, ground repairs etc , would be taken care off.

As usual there is no announcement about the 16 academy coaches being made redundant on the club website.
    The club should be making the announcement and posting it on the club website not letting the Dundee supporters read about it in the Courier and Tully.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    As usual there is no announcement about the 16 academy coaches being made redundant on the club website.
    The club should be making the announcement and posting it on the club website not letting the Dundee supporters read about it in the Courier and Tully.
    Bad news for us is usually papers first then a damage limitation fantasy story time from John Nelms as a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    Bad news for us is usually papers first then a damage limitation fantasy story time from John Nelms as a follow up.
    Agree. I think that the club speaks to the recipient of bad news, who then shares it with a newspaper contact, quite legitimately and then the story goes in. Suits the papers, day 2 is the other side, the DFC official version and we are fighting an uphill battle. Also guarantee that there will be a positive story about other local clubs on a similar topic. A boy other way is put our version out first on official website and then you get even more critical comment when a recipient of the bad news is informed by the journalist before our telephone conversation is held with the recipient. Twitter and stuff just makes it really difficult to deal with bad news.

On a slightly different slant, Strachan is in the paper saying £80 per week isn't a professional organisation. Obviously a quote from an earlier report but the total of 12 coaches getting £80 a week works out at £960 a week, or just under £4K per week. 1893 Foundation is reported to be bringing in almost £9k per month, perhaps there is room for more support than when the original discussions were instigated as this money was not available.

If coaches are willing to support the club through this difficult time I can see why the club made the decision to conclude the process, and I would hope that there is every prospect of the coaching for youths carrying on. Any word of how these redundancies have actually affected the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Agree. I think that the club speaks to the recipient of bad news, who then shares it with a newspaper contact, quite legitimately and then the story goes in. Suits the papers, day 2 is the other side, the DFC official version and we are fighting an uphill battle. Also guarantee that there will be a positive story about other local clubs on a similar topic. A boy other way is put our version out first on official website and then you get even more critical comment when a recipient of the bad news is informed by the journalist before our telephone conversation is held with the recipient. Twitter and stuff just makes it really difficult to deal with bad news.

On a slightly different slant, Strachan is in the paper saying £80 per week isn't a professional organisation. Obviously a quote from an earlier report but the total of 12 coaches getting £80 a week works out at £960 a week, or just under £4K per week. 1893 Foundation is reported to be bringing in almost £9k per month, perhaps there is room for more support than when the original discussions were instigated as this money was not available.

If coaches are willing to support the club through this difficult time I can see why the club made the decision to conclude the process, and I would hope that there is every prospect of the coaching for youths carrying on. Any word of how these redundancies have actually affected the kids?
    I think you have made a slight typo.
    I assume it should read 12 coaches getting £80 per week works out at £960 a week or just under £4K per month.
    Last February I heard a rumour that Gordon Strachan was being paid an annual salary by the Dundee Football Club which was the equivalent to two first team players annual wages.
    I do not know if this information is correct but if so then the club should keep on the the 16 Academy coaches assuming that they have a team to coach and dispense with Gordon Strachan’s services.

Thanks islay. Be poor show if this is true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)