+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports fixtures being cancelled in sympathy with BLM.

Sports fixtures being cancelled in sympathy with BLM.

In the light of another police shooting and ensuing protests (riots?), major league sports teams here (NBA/MLB/MLS) are cancelling games today 'in sympathy' with BLM. Obviously it doesn't impact fans directly (except arm chair ones) as all games are being played behind closed doors anyway but is it a 'bridge too far' or just another step in the right direction to right to wrongs in the world.

How would you feel if Wycombe v RUFC on September 12th was postponed at the last minute as the teams decided to effectively take a knee and not get up?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 27-08-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    In the light of another police shooting and ensuing protests (riots?), major league sports teams here (NBA/MLB/MLS) are cancelling games today 'in sympathy' with BLM. Obviously it doesn't impact fans directly (except arm chair ones) as all games are being played behind closed doors anyway but is it a 'bridge too far' or just another step in the right direction to right to wrongs in the world.

How would you feel if Wycombe v RUFC on September 12th was postponed at the last minute as the teams decided to effectively take a knee and not get up?
    From what I understand BLM in the US is a separate organisation with different objectives to its counterpart in Britain.

The US has a direct link with the slave trade and imposed a regime of segregation up until the late 60s. The country is still suffering the consequence of those laws and depth of feeling much stronger.

In that sense I think its difficult for us to judge and it would be wrong for us to apply our values. Because of that, it may be reasonable to postpone games over there but certainly not here - I cant see how it would come to that anyway.

I believe that viewing figures for US sports that have a high degree of BLM preaching are taking a hit with viewing figures, so the protesting sports stars may find that wages are not as generous in future years.
    Personally would I like to be preached at when attending a sporting event? NO. This also brings up the dilemma of what will fans do if TS allows this to happen at the NYS, it may result in me not attending...sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    I believe that viewing figures for US sports that have a high degree of BLM preaching are taking a hit with viewing figures, so the protesting sports stars may find that wages are not as generous in future years.
    Personally would I like to be preached at when attending a sporting event? NO. This also brings up the dilemma of what will fans do if TS allows this to happen at the NYS, it may result in me not attending...sadly.
    Interesting point Slim, not sure how people would react to the knee at football games, I saw that some Rugby players (including Black players) didnt take the knee and received death threats from the lefties on the basis that "if you dont conform with us you are our enemy"

Its interesting how these people think

Nobody in any authority will challenge this because they daren't.
    You are either with us or against us seems to be the message.
    Why can’t people have empathy without having to agree with all action taken?
    I wouldn’t take a knee does that make me a racist or part of the problem.

Why fetch it here?

Yes there might be some racism here but we are not America where they clearly are a problem, why should we be involved?

Given the low NBA ratings they've probably done it to save face.

Bringing politics into sport is a mistake IMO, people turn to sport to get away from politics.

If it continues in this country I'll go fishing instead of watching football and rugby.

Will the postponement of Wycombe v Rotherham result in one single redneck cop putting his gun back in his holster?
    This is entirely a problem of a wild eest nation led by a lunatic.
    And whatever the snowflakes would have their lollipop-sucking friends believe about Colonial Britain.. it hasn't been a problem here for decades.
    Can't remember when a redne k cop last shot a black man 7 times in the back here... or even once.

.... horrific when a Cop chases a man around a car and shoots him in the back 7 times from point blank range. Not bothered whether it's a black man or white man, it's undefendable........ put the cop in the Chair.

...........only in America, the land of the free.....................

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    .... horrific when a Cop chases a man around a car and shoots him in the back 7 times from point blank range. Not bothered whether it's a black man or white man, it's undefendable........ put the cop in the Chair.

...........only in America, the land of the free.....................
    That's what you get living in a gun toting society. What if the cop had let him go and he'd got into the car where he had a gun (he did have a knife in there) and it resulted in him shooting the 3 kids and others dead. I can assure you if that had happened the cop would have been to blame.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast