+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Next up Killie

Having watched all the game today: Connelly and Pawlett are the problem. A lack of a cutting edge too: so Nicky Clark .

I think we all knew we needed additions to the squad who got us up. MM has shown he can get more out of the current team but i think like most managers he will have quickly realised there are players who he can rely on and others he can't. All things considering we've started the season not too bad (esp since we are missing a few key players from last year) but signings are definitely still needed.

Benji- Looks good enough (although i do think some of the goals we've conceded this season i think he could have done better with.
    Connolly and Reynolds- in the whole have been alright but both will make mistakes. Edwards doesnt look like the answer to me but he has only played once.
    Robson- looks good enough.
    Neilson- looks like he has potential but needs to sort out what position he is best in plus shouldn't be relying on a 17year old to be a main player in our first season up.
    Butcher- good in some games poor in others. think he is a suited to certain games type of player.
    Harkes- has improved but needing more cutting edge from him.
    Pawlett- same as harkes. harkes has youth and the excuse of not having played in the prem. PP i dont think has that excuse. Improved but need more.
    Chalmers- not convinced yet. clearly has some talent but not shown enough for me.
    Clark- not for the level im afraid.
    Appere- Not a fan

Thats before you go into the squad players who havent played much. both Smiths, Glass, Powers,Freeman, Sporle, McMullan even shankland

Think we need reinforcements

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    I think we all knew we needed additions to the squad who got us up. MM has shown he can get more out of the current team but i think like most managers he will have quickly realised there are players who he can rely on and others he can't. All things considering we've started the season not too bad (esp since we are missing a few key players from last year) but signings are definitely still needed.

Benji- Looks good enough (although i do think some of the goals we've conceded this season i think he could have done better with.
    Connolly and Reynolds- in the whole have been alright but both will make mistakes. Edwards doesnt look like the answer to me but he has only played once.
    Robson- looks good enough.
    Neilson- looks like he has potential but needs to sort out what position he is best in plus shouldn't be relying on a 17year old to be a main player in our first season up.
    Butcher- good in some games poor in others. think he is a suited to certain games type of player.
    Harkes- has improved but needing more cutting edge from him.
    Pawlett- same as harkes. harkes has youth and the excuse of not having played in the prem. PP i dont think has that excuse. Improved but need more.
    Chalmers- not convinced yet. clearly has some talent but not shown enough for me.
    Clark- not for the level im afraid.
    Appere- Not a fan

Thats before you go into the squad players who havent played much. both Smiths, Glass, Powers,Freeman, Sporle, McMullan even shankland

Think we need reinforcements
    Appere not a fan....... Fkn ell - IMO his best position is attacking from the left, he's not an orthodox left winger but totally excels and is dangerous as fk in that position.... Not a fan of Appere... Holy sht

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Appere not a fan....... Fkn ell - IMO his best position is attacking from the left, he's not an orthodox left winger but totally excels and is dangerous as fk in that position.... Not a fan of Appere... Holy sht
    Agreed. Massive fan of Appere out on that left side. He has drive, power and is a big goal threat cutting in from the left. Was superb last season until dropped for golden boy Pawlett. One of MM's more strange decisions so far is playing Chalmers ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Apart from the penalty I think all of our goals have either been scored very close to or within 6 yard box.
    No headers, no real shooting threat from outside the box, and no-one able to consistently deliver a defence splitting pass.
    I commented on this watching the game yesterday. For all the corners we had yesterday or in any of the matches we have played we have never troubled the opposition keeper and it never feels like a scoring opportunity. No one is prepared to shot from outside the box unless they are being closed down and by then any opportunity has gone. We are still tippy tapping around the box at times without any real threat. from the opening games you cld almost count on one hand The amount of times An opposition keeper has had to make a save. MM said yesterday that he is looking to add to the squad but there is nothing imminent. He has repeatedly said also that he wld only add to the squad if the player adds to it. I’m hoping they have potential targets but I’m not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Appere worked well last season in a 2 up top where he could do all the running for shankland. then he got moved out wide where he was hit or miss imo.

I wasn't totally convinced by him last year if im honest. It was great to see the boy come back from juniors and make the breakthrough. he showed moments of real quality but just found him too inconsistent. gave him benefit of doubt last year but this year he needed to improve again and i haven't seen it yet. Again i'll give him benefit of doubt due to step up but not convinced and I don't think he can be a lone striker currently.

I do think the reason I can't take to him is that Cammy Kerr had his number last season far too easily hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    Appere worked well last season in a 2 up top where he could do all the running for shankland. then he got moved out wide where he was hit or miss imo.

I wasn't totally convinced by him last year if im honest. It was great to see the boy come back from juniors and make the breakthrough. he showed moments of real quality but just found him too inconsistent. gave him benefit of doubt last year but this year he needed to improve again and i haven't seen it yet. Again i'll give him benefit of doubt due to step up but not convinced and I don't think he can be a lone striker currently.

I do think the reason I can't take to him is that Cammy Kerr had his number last season far too easily hahaha
    Thought he was excellent last season. Any inconsistency came from our arsehole of a manager dropping him when he was on fire, claiming he didn't want to risk burn out. A decision which baffled a lot of fans if I remember correctly as he started brilliantly up top with Shankland and continued it out on the wing. Was outstanding until the Hibs game but was dropped when Pawlett became fit. No surprise that he came off the bench and scored a peach in that game too. Be lucky if he started half of the games between then and the end of the season.

He's not done it this year because he isn't a lone striker. He's better out wide with the play in front of him where he can run with the ball & drive into box. He's being used wrong because Shankland is out.

We really should be giving the younger players some slack. They will be found out at times this season as we develop. Appere left cutting in until we get a left mid makes sense. Clark is limited and may be more of an impact player off the bench - he certainly cant lead a line. I am not sure what is happening with transfers but seems (and just a guess) its one out one in type demand maybe.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)