+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnstone

Johnstone

Is it just me but yet again Johnstone could have done better:

Terrible positioning and every time he saves it - rather than pushing the ball around the post he pushes it on to an opponents foot for a tap in!

No positives - 2 big points dropped and stupid subs by Bilic yet again!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Is it just me but yet again Johnstone could have done better:

Terrible positioning and every time he saves it - rather than pushing the ball around the post he pushes it on to an opponents foot for a tap in!

No positives - 2 big points dropped and stupid subs by Bilic yet again!

Sick of Johnstone parrying the Ball and why bring on Kanu - he just gives the F uckin ball away too much!!! Surely Ivanovic would have been the steady experienced head rather than young Field to have come on!!! Does Bilic ever get subs right!!!

PS - Gallagher will be on the bench next game as it certainly won’t be Sawyers!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Sick of Johnstone parrying the Ball and why bring on Kanu - he just gives the F uckin ball away too much!!! Surely Ivanovic would have been the steady experienced head rather than young Field to have come on!!! Does Bilic ever get subs right!!!

PS - Gallagher will be on the bench next game as it certainly won’t be Sawyers!
    Bilic often gets subs right! It would have been difficult to bring on Ivanovic as he wasn't on the bench because he is not yet considered fit enough.

Strange that he was fit enough to do 60 minutes in the week, then not fit enough for the bench tonight. Still trying to get my head around that.

Quote Originally Posted by billsbest View Post
    Bilic often gets subs right! It would have been difficult to bring on Ivanovic as he wasn't on the bench because he is not yet considered fit enough.

Well he played 60 minutes against a good Brentford and he was the type of player needed to hold the defence steady - but Field!!! Then Kanu who gives the ball away!! Johnstone is the worst keeper ever seen at West Brom in my view

When will Button replace the awful Johnstone?

I presume Gallagher will be starting the next game instead of Sawyers - or will he?
    Last edited by baggieal; 26-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.

As a former goalkeeper myself ( albeit of limited ability) I was always taught to keep on the balls of your feet, for the first goal Johnstone was very flat footed and was beaten on his near side, very disappointed with his effort, or non effort to save it, certainly not the best goalkeeper ever to have played for West Brom

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    As a former goalkeeper myself ( albeit of limited ability) I was always taught to keep on the balls of your feet, for the first goal Johnstone was very flat footed and was beaten on his near side, very disappointed with his effort, or non effort to save it, certainly not the best goalkeeper ever to have played for West Brom
    Same thought as me BRF, as a14 year old (many moons ago) I recall Brentford’s Paul Bence, telling me to stay on my toes. (He was not a goalkeeper but brought over to give us a training session, I recall also, that he was a very nice chap) It is something I never forgot.

To be fair to Johnson, he was flat footed but I think he was unsighted until it was to late. As for parrying the ball, it may be because the balls are like balloons today, but goalkeepers don’t seem to catch the ball any more. Even crosses or corners, any pressure on the keeper and they flap or punch it. I always wanted to catch it.

To be honest have not seen enough of Button to judge. He was very good against Harrogate but average against Brentford. So I guess Bilic has to judge based on what he sees in training. I am not a Johnstone fan...but dropping him could make things worse...

Totally agree. As a PE student and the 1st X1 'keeper I was always coached that if at all possible you caught the ball and only punched it as a last resort. Mind you, this was in the sixties when all the 'keepers were British. This punching of the ball only started when foreign 'keepers came into our game. I don't know how much of a difference today's footballs make but I do believe that on too many occasions the ball is punched or parried when it could be caught, or am I being a ' Colonel Blimp?'

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Totally agree. As a PE student and the 1st X1 'keeper I was always coached that if at all possible you caught the ball and only punched it as a last resort. Mind you, this was in the sixties when all the 'keepers were British. This punching of the ball only started when foreign 'keepers came into our game. I don't know how much of a difference today's footballs make but I do believe that on too many occasions the ball is punched or parried when it could be caught, or am I being a ' Colonel Blimp?'
    You are absolutely right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)