+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On this Day - 13th October

On this Day - 13th October

Our first ever league win.

1888: Notts County 3 (Daft, Jardine, Moore) Everton 1 (Ross)

An estimated 3,000 watching at Trent Bridge. Notts playing in chocolate and blue halves.

It's a sign!!!

Don't think I've ever really looked at our record in the early days, but you posting that made me look up the first season. Typical Notts - in only our third game we managed to rack up what is still our heaviest ever defeat (1-9 v Aston Villa, which we managed to suffer twice more over the next 40 years). I'm assuming the local headline was "Like lambs to the slaughter".

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

An estimated 3,000 watching at Trent Bridge. Notts playing in chocolate and blue halves.
    Local headline : Toffees topped by the chocolates

One of my best mates is an Everton fan. Not sure I'll be able to claim bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    It's a sign!!!

Don't think I've ever really looked at our record in the early days, but you posting that made me look up the first season. Typical Notts - in only our third game we managed to rack up what is still our heaviest ever defeat (1-9 v Aston Villa, which we managed to suffer twice more over the next 40 years). I'm assuming the local headline was "Like lambs to the slaughter".
    The Athletic News’ reporter, ‘The Tramp’, wrote on the Monday, following the 9-1 drubbing, against Aston Villa on 30th September 1888,

“The Lambs were ruthlessly but quietly slaughtered, and the Villains good-temperedly revelling in the gory work.”

He ended his report by saying,

“I must give Notts their due, and say that they accepted their licking like thorough sportsmen.”

I bet you were their