+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Play Offs

Play Offs

It's been suggested that the Team finishing 3rd bottom of the Premiership goes into a play off with Team's finishing 3rd 4th and 5th in the Championship , is this fair ? Didn't it used to be like that for all divisions a while back ? Or have I dreamt that ? Personally i think the current format is the only good change in football for many a season, it creates interest and gives Teams something to play for , I don't like any of these New Proposals , the game is Dying as it is , it's the rich gerrin richer and the poor gerrin poorer , some clubs will soon be out of Business , and all the Liverpools/ Manchesters etc will be to blame for paying over inflated prices for the likes of Pogba/ Bale etc , greed greed greed

Scottish Leagues used to do it burra can't remember it in England.

New proposal is just to give clubs another chance to cling on to the Premiership money. Eventually there will be no relegation from a rich separate closed shop. Entry and exit by invitation and vote of top six.
    Remember the scandals of re-election votes to Fourth Division ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Scottish Leagues used to do it burra can't remember it in England.

New proposal is just to give clubs another chance to cling on to the Premiership money. Eventually there will be no relegation from a rich separate closed shop. Entry and exit by invitation and vote of top six.
    Remember the scandals of re-election votes to Fourth Division ?
    Naeow a dunt , worrit an Arsenal Barnsley type thing ? We wa cheertud then , all them years ago , nubdi likes us an nivva ev Arr blame Jim Iley Art !! My mates son thort that worrin real name " Jim Iley Art " it ezza ring to it

I'm pretty sure they did try it for a season or 2.
    Perhaps it's time to let the big clubs go.
    I think their fans would miss the EFL more than we'd miss them.
    It will be unaffordable for fans jetting around Europe every other week.
    What might be a novelty 3 or 4 times a season will prove an expensive chore after a couple of seasons.
    You might find fans supporting their local teams more and following their big teams on TV.
    Let them go. No Promotion, no coming back - call their bluff.
    See ya.

I think the fear if this happens Hodger , That some of these elite club's ??? Would push for their B teams Under 21s to be allowed into the EFL divisions , therefore having the best of both worlds , I don't watch as much Premiership football anymore , I would rather watch a league one or two match , The International games dont interest me at all untill the final stages ,

Tha reyt ageean Roma. Thaz sum memory thee.

Av read inter league Play Offs were tried as an experiment in the late 80's. Boro-v-Chelsea,1988 Boroi in Second Division relegated First Division Chelsea.

Aar can't remember it burrit wo Boro 2 Chelsea 0 First Leg at Ayresome Park and Chelsea 1 Boro 0 in return. A lotta feyting on pitch between fans at Ayresome Park.

Chelsea promoted back as Second Division Champions a year later in 1989.

They used it to help a phased reduction of two teams from top league and it was abandoned when that was achieved.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 14-10-2020 at 08:52 AM.

That mite ev been abart time then wen clubs that edto apply fo reolection, due tu finishin bottum ov 4th Division stopped ? , then whoivva wa top non league teeum got promoted inta league ,
    a farnd an old programme tutha day Barnsley v Bristol City 1961 4 d , ad filled in scoor wi wun 7 - 3 a dint fill arr scoorers in but did theirs, John Ayteo 3 , wi gorrin grarnd via that old ladda ont wall backov brewery stand , wid gorrin too early tho abart one o'clock , we got hidid under some old tin baths Unda paddock , wi dint get cott so it warra good day art fo fourpence , awa blackbreet wenna gorooham tho, another gu in tin bath