+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Coronavirus 'Tiers' - what a mess

O/T:- Coronavirus 'Tiers' - what a mess

We were told that there would now be three tiers to make it simple.

Liverpool are put in 'Tier 3' (although BJ never mentioned 'tiers') and gyms have had to close.

Lancashire is now moved to 'Tier 3' but gyms will be allowed to stay open.

Meanwhile, Manchester talks have stalled because they want a better deal.

You couldn't make this up!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-10-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix

... you don't want a one-size-fits-all, so you've got a tiered system. Regions wanted more control. Make your mind up ...

just a modicum of competence shouldn't be too much to ask...
    but apparently it is

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... you don't want a one-size-fits-all, so you've got a tiered system. Regions wanted more control. Make your mind up ...
    Straw Man

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    just a modicum of competence shouldn't be too much to ask...
    but apparently it is
    This lot simply aren't up to the task of protecting the public. However, credit where it is due, they are really efficient at syphoning off taxpayers money by handing out contracts without tender to Tory donors which are then unfulfilled.

History will not be kind to these shysters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    Wouldn't you have thought that if you introduce a tiered system that all those in the same tier would be under the same restrictions?

I'm in agreement that we shouldn't have a one-size-fits-all, but I'm beginning to think that we are going to get it with a 2 or 3 week circuit breaker lockdown.

I know these are unprecedented times but is there anyone out there who honestly thinks that this government, I don’t care about left or right, has handled any of this situation with any competence?

It’s easy to see why people buy into conspiracy theories in saying they are confusing people on purpose etc etc, but I actually think this government really are just so inept and have no clue on what to do next.

It is so so bad that it’s almost funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    This lot simply aren't up to the task of protecting the public. However, credit where it is due, they are really efficient at syphoning off taxpayers money by handing out contracts without tender to Tory donors which are then unfulfilled.

History will not be kind to these shysters.
    Did you read this?
    I don't know how anyone can keep on finding the funny side in the face of such corruption/callousness/incompetence (delate as appropriate or just add to the list....)

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1049110.html

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We were told that there would now be three tiers to make it simple.

Liverpool are put in 'Tier 3' (although BJ never mentioned 'tiers') and gyms have had to close.

Lancashire is now moved to 'Tier 3' but gyms will be allowed to stay open.

Meanwhile, Manchester talks have stalled because they want a better deal.

You couldn't make this up!
    Slam Manchester into tier 3, if Burnham doesn't comply, he gets fined and prison. Simple, he's a mayor, there is no negotiation to be had

The way I see it the problems with this government stem from the fact that:

Boris Johnson is a spiv and a chancer. A PR man. Great for game shows, being the centre of attention waving flags when stuck on a zip wire, and writing juicy articles with falsified sources. Not so good at quietly taking care of the details. We already knew this.

Most of the ministers in this government are there because they proved themselves loyal to Johnson/Cummings during the Tory leadership election. This always happens to some extent, but not necessarily to this extent. When you select people for important jobs on the basis of anything other than competence, you're asking for trouble.

They seem to be following the Tory mantra of 'private always good, public always bad'. Cummings is very unpopular but if you listen to some of the things he has said in the past few years he doesn't come across as a typical Tory, so I'm a bit surprised by this.

They seem to be pathologically afraid of not being liked. They feel like they have to give good news all the time, but then are forced to change course when reality intervenes or focus groups tell them that what they thought the public wanted to hear is not what the public wanted to hear.

I don't think this is an easy situation to deal with, and few countries have dealt with it well, but I think this government has made it more difficult than it needed to be.

I saw an interesting graph on an Italian fact checking website yesterday, which plots countries according to drop in GDP and number of deaths per million. It's quite interesting and the UK doesn't come out of it well on either count. I'll try and dig it out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast