+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIFA European Premier League

FIFA European Premier League

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ked-tournament

A $6 billion (£4.6 billion) financing package is being drawn up to back the launch of a new European Premier League, Sky News reveals

Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.

Sky News has learned that financiers are assembling a $6 billion (£4.6 billion) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.

As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament, with prize money for the winners expected to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds each year.

One football industry figure said that a formal announcement about the plans was possible as soon as the end of this month, although on Tuesday a number of key details - including the full list of participating clubs - had yet to be finalised and the plans could still fall apart.

The source described it as "potentially the most important development in world club football for decades".

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham candidates to join

According to insiders, a handful of English sides have been approached about joining the league, with the other candidates comprising Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.

It is not thought that any of the English clubs have yet signed legally binding terms to join, and it was unclear which member of the so-called 'big six' would miss out if only five are ultimately involved.

The news will drop a fresh bombshell into the fracturing landscape of English football, which has spent recent weeks at loggerheads over proposals - engineered by Liverpool and Manchester United - to hand more power to the biggest clubs while providing a coronavirus bailout for teams below the top flight.

A blueprint, dubbed Project Big Picture, would have seen the Premier League reduced in size from 20 to 18 clubs, reducing the number of domestic top-flight fixtures each season.

The plan, denounced as "a backroom deal" by government ministers, was rapidly abandoned last week.

If the latest plans bear fruit, they would effectively constitute the European super league that has been subject to on-off discussions for many years.

The giant Wall Street bank JP Morgan is in talks to provide $6 billion of debt financing to help launch the European Premier League, with the proceeds repayable from future broadcast income generated by the tournament, according to a football executive.

Other banks are expected to join the financing of the new project, which would become one of the world's richest annual team sports competitions if it gets off the ground.

Each of the founding teams is expected to earn fees paid hundreds of millions of pounds to participate, with clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid receiving the biggest sums for joining.

They added that the European Premier League was likely to feature either 16 or 18 teams - meaning a likely minimum of 30 matches for each club, based on a format of round-robin home and away fixtures - although that is said to be among the details being finalised ahead of a formal announcement.

If the discussions are successfully concluded, the European Premier League would effectively usurp UEFA's Champions League competition, which has been a mainstay of the continent's football calendar for decades.

It was unclear whether the new tournament had the backing of UEFA, the European governing body, although some insiders claimed that it did not.

If it did have UEFA's support, it is likely to be unveiled as an enhanced version of the Champions' League and an example of unprecedented cooperation between two governing bodies which have historically found themselves in opposition on key issues affecting football's global governance.

However, football insiders said that if UEFA was not involved, the new tournament would represent an "incendiary" move from FIFA that would undermine the European governing body's principal annual revenue-generating tournament.

In that scenario, there could be a string of legal challenges to prevent it from getting off the ground, given the complexity of existing tournament agreements involving Europe's top clubs.

One source cast doubt on the prospect of a successful launch of the European Premier League without UEFA's backing, particularly before 2024, when the existing Champions' League structure is expected to be revamped.

Neither FIFA nor UEFA would comment.

Other clubs which are said to have been invited to take part in the new league include Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, according to Vozpopuli, a Spanish publication.

Real Madrid has been one of the principal architects of the European Premier League's creation, with a plan to get the new competition launched as rapidly as possible.

Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Bayern Munich are also likely to have been approached.

Key Capital Partners, a Spanish finance house, and Florentino Perez, the veteran Real Madrid president, are also understood to have been driving forces behind the latest project.

Mr Perez and Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, were reported last year to have held talks about reforming elements of the club game.

The latest version of the European Premier League project is understood to have been in gestation for well over a year.

Providence Equity Partners, a global private equity firm which owns companies in Britain such as Ambassador Theatre Group, is understood to have held talks about becoming a shareholder in the new league, but football sources cast doubt on whether it was still involved.

Talk of a European Super League has been a ubiquitous feature of football politics for many years, but has invariably faded amid trenchant opposition from national football associations, politicians and supporter groups.

An earlier iteration of the current project was reported by German news outlets to have been drawn up almost exactly two years ago, and featured 11 'founder' teams with a number of 'guest' teams.

the most concerning part i have heard today is "the founding member clubs cant be relegated for 20 YEARS!!!"

i bet Dlck Masters is feeling like a proper dumb c*nt now, the same clubs who have caused him all the grief over our takeover have shafted him anyway

oh and they still want to play in the PL (or a version of their teams)
    Last edited by TANYA_; 20-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.

I personally hope they go ahead with it. They have gone from one corrupt organisation to another one.
    Once they make the jump to abandon our national game, theres no going back unless its at the very bottom of the pyramid.
    The Amercian owners want a franchise model like their version of rounders and rugby with tarts shoulder pads.

Theres nothing stopping them on relocating Liverpool or Man Utd to London and calling them the London Reds.
    I would plss myself laughing if that happened

If it's going to happen then the sooner they fuck off the better.

Obviously I'd prefer a Premier League with them in it but, if they went, they'd be replaced and, after a few years, it would become the new normal to play in a league without them. it's all about trying to carve a bigger slice of the pie for themselves so they're welcome to it and I hope they choke on it

And before anyone says it, if we were one of the big clubs being courted I wouldn't want anything to do with it then either. Football clubs, by and large, should be rooted in their communities and that should be their bread and butter-playing against each other in their national leagues with the excitiement of a limited number of 'exotic' games against clubs from other countries being earned through the usual manner of acheiving in your home league.

Even if we’d been taken over and were competing again, I’d much rather be competing in a strong premier league than in this nonsense. In the KK & to a certain extent SBR era’s when we were competing with one of the great Man Utd teams and finishing above the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Leeds etc. the premier league was amazing and those special European nights were just that - special, a bit of a welcome diversion from the 38 domestic games.

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    Theres nothing stopping them on relocating Liverpool or Man Utd to London and calling them the London Reds.
    I would plss myself laughing if that happened
    Well, at least they’d be nearer their supporter base.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    well, at least they’d be nearer their supporter base.

I’m also surprising myself in that I don’t want my club anywhere near a league like that.
    Pure greed, man. We already have the Champions League for the spectacle of the best teams in Europe playing each other - it’s pure greed.
    Greedy, rich people are hard to stop (as we well know) and so let them go. Perhaps it’s the only chance to stop the slide of the game towards a complete absence of integrity.
    The champion of England will still be the champion of England and any ‘big’ team will be the champion of Europe whether it’s Man U or Juventus.
    I hope it goes ahead asap.

When it inevitably folds, fans get sick of paying to travel across Europe every week, The teams should ot be allowed back into the Premier League. They should have to start at the bottom.

Be interested to know what the real fans of the clubs involved think. Not the keyboard warrior, glory-hunting ones but the people from the communities they're based in.

I mean, most clubs have a proportion of their fans who come from outside their immediate community and that's great-I love hearing stories about people from out of the area who support us, whether it's because of a family link or a certain player back in the day ot a particular era, e.g. Keegan or a game they attended/watched and were hooked...and most clubs will have fans with exactly the same stories...and I class them as real fans too. But, what we certainly don't have are any glory hunters unless they started following us after the '55 final and thought after 3 FA Cup wins in 5 years we'd be in line for some more. The problem for these 'big 6' clubs is that they've got huge numbers of exactly that sort of fan who have absolutely no association with the club in a traditional sense and who are absolutely on board with the idea of a European super league because they have no loyalty to or affinity for the domestic league the club they 'support' play in. And, with football being so global, these fans outnumber the 'real' fans to the extent that the real fans' voices are heard less and less.

It's the FIFA generation and they basically want to replicate what they see on their PlayStation/X-box in real life. Life imitating art....isn't it meant to be the other way round?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)