+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offside nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    You could add the cup games with replays with extra time till someone won. It took 4 replays v Chelsea in 1956

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.m...on-7618295.amp

Did your ref panel go off the photo as shown and not consider the player half hidden by Balmford - because there is no other view to consider. In rugby they have views all round the pitch. You get front back and sides views
    VAR technology is run on a shoestring.
    It doesn't matter what those of us passing comment use because it is the VAR operators that matter and they decided, correctly, that Bamford's armpit was offside.
    Those that use the board are very much divided as far as VAR is concerned with the older end and very experienced being against it.

There is a vast difference between technology in rugby and that used in football because it is much easier to define offside in rugby and most of the other calls are very black and white-----football is not, and never will be like that no matter how much technology is used ---unless they can manufacture robot officials and get rid ofthe human element.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It has only ever been a game, it will only ever be a game --no matter how much they wish to change things for the digital age.
    It used to be a game to be enjoyed, however, because of all the interference with TLOG and VAR, it is no longer a game to be enjoyed and you may well just as well play some computer game if that is your idea of fun.
    I have never played a computer game in my life, in fact, I miss the old pinball machines which were great!
    Saddens me to say it, but FIFA have ruined the beautiful game. Corruption is rife and they simply refuse to let tried and tested practices over a century of playing football well alone.

I watched Arsenal and Villa yesterday and it was like watching a training match. I don't think I will watch any more games this season, because it is crap. City and Liverpool second half was like watching paint dry, even my soccer mad father-in-law has had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Saddens me to say it, but FIFA have ruined the beautiful game. Corruption is rife and they simply refuse to let tried and tested practices over a century of playing football well alone.

I watched Arsenal and Villa yesterday and it was like watching a training match. I don't think I will watch any more games this season, because it is crap. City and Liverpool second half was like watching paint dry, even my soccer mad father-in-law has had enough.
    I couldn't agree more BT. People say that it is the lack of fans etc., however, the reality is that the game itself is nowhere near as exciting to watch,even when you have some good players. So much possession is based on passes around the back four in the defensive half of the field, progress over the halfway line and then go backwards once again, often ending up back with the keeper and the whole thing starts again ad nauseam. Yet, we get the ball forward quickly and are criticised by all and sundry because it is non-football.

The best football I have seen played was in the mid-70s in the German and Dutch Leagues when Ilived over there. Fast attacking football by the Dutch but more tactical by the German teams but then an electric change of pace led to some good openings. Add to that the fact that you could tackle people and physically compete ---proper football. The Premier League doesn't even come close.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It doesn't matter what those of us passing comment use because it is the VAR operators that matter and they decided, correctly, that Bamford's armpit was offside.
    Sorry super, but how do you or they know where the player behind Bamfords armpit is to make that call, you can’t see it. The point about rugby was the number and location of cameras, for tries or foul tackles rather than offside. Often three angles are available?
    VAR in football often only offers one camera shot.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Sorry super, but how do you or they know where the player behind Bamfords armpit is to make that call, you can’t see it. The point about rugby was the number and location of cameras, for tries or foul tackles rather than offside. Often three angles are available?
    VAR in football often only offers one camera shot.
    I don't need to know OC, I am not involved with VAR and would never wish to be. It is the saviour of football as far as FIFA is concerned and will eventually lead to the 100% perfect game. Who am I to argue with that? I only played over 1000 games, many at semi-pro level and also officiated at the same level and I honestly can't tell you what constitutes offside, handball, a fair tackle etc., etc.

I will just say that my tag on the referees' board is:- "The referee's decision used to be final!"

I agree Super.

Serious suggestion...why don't we start a petition to bin it? I reckon it would get massive support.

I'll start one if you wish?

59_60 ---I am afraid that it would not make any difference at all. It is FIFA's new (or not so new) toy and it is the way that they want the game to go. They are aided and abetted by IFAB who, under the leadershp of David Elleray, are responsible for any modifications to the Laws of the Game and their interpretation. Since Elleray took over as head in 2016 there have been 248 changes to Laws and their interpretation.
    FIFA are experimenting with even more digital ideas so you can guess that things will not improve.
    The unwritten Law 18 has long disappeared to be lost for ever. Just to let you know that Law 18 was use common sense when officiating!

I've started one!

Please sign it and share it!

http://chng.it/Sbg8DYVH

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Totally agree, there are far too many overpaid Prima Donna’s in todays game. Would like to see how they would have coped with, Norman Hunter, Jackie Charlton, Tommy Smith and Billy Bremner, not to mention a leather ball.
    Graham Souness might have worried one or two of them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ansg...=Rensenbrink70

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)