+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke

Just a quickie to test the waters here.
    So Greg Clarke resigns for using the term ' High profile coloured footballers'.
    Yet in America throughout the election there was a panel of punters including a 'coloured female' and all were quite happily referring to Joe Bidens running mate Kamala Harris as a 'woman of colour'.
    Can somebody explain the difference, especially as I always assumed the US was far more sensitive to these matters than the UK.

A think it goes back to the days of segregation and apartheid Ollie.

When the US Southern States unofficially segregated blacks and whites in schools, transport, employment blacks were described as "Coloureds"
    The Official apartheid policy in South Africa had premises, transport etc signed as for "Coloureds" or "Non-Coloureds" or sometimes "Whites Only" and "Coloureds Only" and this was strictly enforced.

The feelings attached to the word "Coloured" still run deep.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 11-11-2020 at 05:48 PM.

its nailed on the next one will be a black transgender asian muslim woman/man/something i can guarantee it won't be a white male over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A think it goes back to the days of segregation and apartheid Ollie.

When the US Southern States unofficially segregated blacks and whites in schools, transport, employment blacks were described as "Coloureds"
    The Official apartheid policy in South Africa had premises, transport etc signed as for "Coloureds" or "Non-Coloureds" or sometimes "Whites Only" and "Coloureds Only" and this was strictly enforced.

The feelings attached to the word "Coloured" still run deep.
    Don't know if I'm misunderstanding you but it's kinda my point SB.
    The word coloured has connotations and links back to the riots in the 60 in the US.
    But now they seem quite comfortable using it. Yet here it's a quitting offence.

I saw 2 separate interviews this morning where they asked what the difference was and neither could give a clear answer.
    It was described as 'abhorrent language'. A bit over the top.
    He's an old bloke who shouldn't have been in that job anyway.
    He's of a generation that struggles to know what's right to say, and what's not.
    People have never been more offensive to each other, yet never been so easily offended.
    There's bigger disasters in the World than some old bloke using the word coloured, yet it's headline news.
    He's resigned - move on.
    There's plenty of old racists in the House of Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    I saw 2 separate interviews this morning where they asked what the difference was and neither could give a clear answer.
    It was described as 'abhorrent language'. A bit over the top.
    He's an old bloke who shouldn't have been in that job anyway.
    He's of a generation that struggles to know what's right to say, and what's not.
    People have never been more offensive to each other, yet never been so easily offended.
    There's bigger disasters in the World than some old bloke using the word coloured, yet it's headline news.
    He's resigned - move on.
    There's plenty of old racists in the House of Lords.
    I was born in 1947 Hodger and believe me I was brought up in a generation that fully understands the difference between right and wrong and the majority still do. There is a minority in all generations in life.

“He's of a generation that struggles to know what's right to say, and what's not” some statement that young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Olias1 View Post
    Don't know if I'm misunderstanding you but it's kinda my point SB.
    The word coloured has connotations and links back to the riots in the 60 in the US.
    But now they seem quite comfortable using it. Yet here it's a quitting offence.
    I hadn't realised that people commonly used the term in the US. I thought that's where PC language like "person of colour" started.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I was born in 1947 Hodger and believe me I was brought up in a generation that fully understands the difference between right and wrong and the majority still do. There is a minority in all generations in life.

“He's of a generation that struggles to know what's right to say, and what's not” some statement that young man.
    Quote from Wikepedia :

'It was also seen as an acceptable word to use in much of the UK until the 1960s and 1970s'.

Wikepedia
    Does it say that generation “struggles to know what's right and what's not”
    and why shouldn’t older men be in jobs?
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 11-11-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Fine - you win.
    I'm not that bothered.
    He's resigned, he was right to resign.
    My point about the House of Lords was that there's some very well educated people over the age of 60 that regularly put their foot in their mouths.
    Too many people are being labelled racist when they're not.
    Racist is standing on the Ponty End singing 'We've got no ******* in our team' in 1990.
    How many of those people found Clarke's unfortunate use of words 'abhorrent'?
    I don't feel strongly enough about it to continue with this.
    If you want to, go ahead, knock yourself out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast