+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What If?

What If?

What if time machines existed? Which two Notts' games would you travel back to watch?

First choice, a game from the past that you attended.

Second choice, a game from the past you would have liked to attend.

My games would be:

1st May 1971 - Notts v Exeter - 18,002 celebrate promotion under Jimmy Sirrel and the start of better days, after years of dross.

31st March 1894 - FA Cup Final - Notts v Bolton - Logan's hat-trick and the only major trophy we are ever likely to win.

Game I attended: Would have to be my first as there were no TV cameras there and it would be my only chance to re-live it, 20/Nov/1982 v Liverpool (lost 2-1).

In the past - It would be amazing to see Notts play at Trent Bridge and I'd be fascinated to see how the crowd reacted in those days (were there any chants? what sort of language would they use to direct disapproval at the referee - "I say old chap, put your monocle in!". But I couldn't possible turn down the chance to sample a 45,000 plus crowd at Meadow Lane and the win over Fword to clinch promotion in 1950 with two goals in three minutes to win 2-0.

Leeds v Notts circa 1975 in the cup. Notts won 0-1 against that great Leeds side. Scanlon header from Carter cross or vice versa ?
    Notts v Sheff Wed circa 1976 - Ian Scanlon hatrick in about 180 seconds if I remember correctly.

Notts v Brighton ( would love to go through that day again )

Notts v York (record attendance) what an atmosphere to witness
    Last edited by Glad2BeAPie; 10-12-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Great thread idea.

Agree would love to relive that full Wembley day experience. A stress free entertaining play off final in front of 59,000.

If we are talking Meadow Lane, I would choose May 93 last game of the season against Sunderland. Both sides in danger of relegation, Notts win, Dave Smith stars and Drapes scores one of my favourite ever Notts goals with a sublime volley and win in an entertaining game in front of a big crowd bolstered by a packed Kop full of Mackems.

Even in defeat Sunderland stayed up and everyone celebrated in the sunshine.

Great day, great memories

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Game I attended: Would have to be my first as there were no TV cameras there and it would be my only chance to re-live it, 20/Nov/1982 v Liverpool (lost 2-1).

In the past - It would be amazing to see Notts play at Trent Bridge and I'd be fascinated to see how the crowd reacted in those days (were there any chants? what sort of language would they use to direct disapproval at the referee - "I say old chap, put your monocle in!". But I couldn't possible turn down the chance to sample a 45,000 plus crowd at Meadow Lane and the win over Fword to clinch promotion in 1950 with two goals in three minutes to win 2-0.
    That was my first Notts game, too! Went as a Liverpool fan came back a Notts supporter.

I definitely wouldn’t choose a defeat, so that rules out a few of the above choices.

Game revisited? Notts 2, Bolton 0 - clinching our first-ever trip to Wembley in 1990. Over 15,000 packed into the old Lane, great performance, great atmosphere, great party afterwards.

As for the other game, it would have to be one from the Tommy Lawton era - any big game at home where there were over 30,000 present, we won and Tommy scored a bullet header.

Threads like this are both a blessing and a curse: a wonderful reminder of better days, but a painful reminder of how far we’ve fallen in recent decades.

The obvious one for me personally would be the Wembley win that got us promoted to the old 1st div.
    Game I would like to have been at was Tommy Lawton’s debut. 2 goals scored in a 4-2 win with 38k at ML. A true legend.

Attended: Brighton play offs, would have nice to have gone a bit older too and had a few beers to celebrate.
    Not attended: Tranmere play offs year before: Mum and Dad had booked a bloody holiday and had to ring my grandad to get the result

I’d definitely set my time machine back to February 12th 1994. Or the other two league wins over them that I went to would do.

The one game I wish I went to that I didn’t was the Oldham great escape game.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast