+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Happy December Anniversary!

Another Happy December Anniversary!

Following a drab, driech, goalless draw through at Hampden, the Scottish League thought it would be a right good laugh to wind up the Funsters and rearranged the League Cup Final Replay for the following Wednesday 12th December 1979 at Dens.

Running out at a stadium completely unsuitable for modern football even back then, United grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and proceeded to rip apart a strong SSB team managed by Sir Alex and featuring top quality such as Alex McLeish, Gordon Strachan, fourth official Willie Miller and,er, Doug Rougvie.

With nerves settled by a first half Wullie P opener in the pissing rain, Bannon then had a stormer of a second half and United proceeded to an easy win with further goals by Wullie P again and Luggy with the assistance of the fourth official.

Great,great scenes that night as Heggy raised our first ever trophy and I do remember grown men with tears down their cheeks as United put the first of the Funster jibes - ‘You’ve Never Won A Trophy’ - firmly to bed. Just like them.

What a night and of course soon to be followed by even greater triumphs that were probably more deserving of a greater stage than thon schitheap up the road, but hey ho.

As a footnote, Sir Alex was apparently properly fizzin’ after the match and furiously told his squad on the bus hame that they would never lose another Cup Final while he was boss. And they never did. I love Wee Jum, but I so wish he’d had just a wee bit mair of a ‘swagger’ like that as he undoubtedly was the better tactician. But for memories like that night and the many,many others, even in defeat, I thank you for all you did for our wee cornershop. What a colossus.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 12-12-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Still got my copy of the quickly pulled together programme sheet handed out in the ground. An incredible night.

A fine birthday present for a young Japan Arab.

Edit to add - goals below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_giwikSXO8

You have got a certain way we the wurds mate,what an FN post.

One of the best nights ever to be a United fan. Remember standing in the Provie Road end after the full time celebrations and thinking about my granda who had stood on the terraces since the beginning in 1910 and never got to see United lift a trophy. Mind you he did say that United were well done out of the war cup final (which he attended) cheated by the Huns, somethings never change

The first game was terrible.Aberdeen were the better team.But in the replay they were blown away.Was in the Provie as well.SE gale and lashing rain.What a night.

Party time in the Barrels after, head was bumpin’ the next day

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Why did you have to post that in advance of tomorrow? I am even less inclined to switch the telly on the morn. Next time, think before you act!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    Why did you have to post that in advance of tomorrow? I am even less inclined to switch the telly on the morn. Next time, think before you act!
    Cmon the Ram think positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop6...=serbianhuddle

She is even wearing the cup final wig that disgust's granny and the Dees.
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 12-12-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)