+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite cities

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Cape Town (SA)

George (SA)

New York

Washington

Worsthorne
    When was Worsthorne elevated to "City status" Alto?

Back in the day I went out with a lass from up there and I really liked the folk in that little village.

Is Worsthorne from where you hail Alto?

No, I was born in a front room in a street off Briercliffe Road (Towneley Street), but my Mum was born in Worsthorne.

Manila must take some beating ? I was sitting outside a coffee house,with my camera at my side, near to me,two middle aged women said, ''be careful going about with your camera,'' I asked them ,''but why?'' They said they were travelling in a 'jeepney' in Manila,when 2 young kids got inside with guns ,and asked for all the money,valuables,etc they had. They thought the local police must be in with it too, and allowed them to operate,taking a share also ?

Ones not mentioned

Nice probably visited 8 times miles of beaches and promenades, culture easy access by train to Cote dAzur

Bath
    Cheltenham
    Bristol used to live there
    Glasgow live here

Tokyo very different
    Kyoto old buildings Geisha girls

Kuala Lumpur

Historic Europe
    Tallin
    Dubrovnik
    Rome but watch for pickpockets and suitcase thieves in suits - we nearly lost ours whilst looking at a map.
    Athens

US
    Denver
    Boston

Tallin was on our September travel itinerary, hoping for better luck next year because this is one place I really want to see.

Nobody mentioned Aberdeen.Hell of a long main street and lovely area with nice people.

Fairbanks - but for God's sake don't go in winter.

Never been to Aberdeen barrie, I wanted to go to the Europa Cup match, but I could not get enough tickets for the four of us who wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Nobody mentioned Aberdeen.Hell of a long main street and lovely area with nice people.

Fairbanks - but for God's sake don't go in winter.
    Lived there too Barrie, in the 70s, supported the Dons, played cricket there surprisingly, the city smelt of fish in the fish market days, the top end of Union St has gone downhill as they built shopping malls near the station end. If it’s still there you can get the Ashvale Whale, a massive fish supper and if you can eat it they give you another!
    I’m surprised you could understand them, men are loonies, women quinies, fit like, far ya goin, rolls they call softies, butteries they call rolls.
    Aurora borealis in winter out of the city lights.
    We found the locals insular, they hated Edinburgh more than the English. University is attractive, river Don smells of sulphur used in paper Mills.
    We didn’t settle couldn’t compete with the oil folk and in the days of 50mph speed limits a 10 hour drive to Colne. We never got English football but got Se ur Beatha a Gaelic programme instead!
    Had three winters there and the only day snow lay on the ground was the day we moved out! The winds blow direct from Scandinavia and in summer the cold sea creates a haar (fog) the drops the temperatures like San Fran.
    Not near anywhere unless you go on to Orkney or Shetland

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Lived there too Barrie, in the 70s, supported the Dons, played cricket there surprisingly, the city smelt of fish in the fish market days, the top end of Union St has gone downhill as they built shopping malls near the station end. If it’s still there you can get the Ashvale Whale, a massive fish supper and if you can eat it they give you another!
    I’m surprised you could understand them, men are loonies, women quinies, fit like, far ya goin, rolls they call softies, butteries they call rolls.
    Aurora borealis in winter out of the city lights.
    We found the locals insular, they hated Edinburgh more than the English. University is attractive, river Don smells of sulphur used in paper Mills.
    We didn’t settle couldn’t compete with the oil folk and in the days of 50mph speed limits a 10 hour drive to Colne. We never got English football but got Se ur Beatha a Gaelic programme instead!
    Had three winters there and the only day snow lay on the ground was the day we moved out! The winds blow direct from Scandinavia and in summer the cold sea creates a haar (fog) the drops the temperatures like San Fran.
    Not near anywhere unless you go on to Orkney or Shetland
    One of my grandsons was born in Aberdeen in 1995! His mother was flown there by helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    One of my grandsons was born in Aberdeen in 1995! His mother was flown there by helicopter.
    They used to fly regularly to and from the rigs.

We had students from Shetland who when asked the name of their nearest railway station answered

Bergen! Lol

Folk from the Western Isles wanted to see a train!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)