+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: To many round pegs / square holes

To many round pegs / square holes

Injuries cant be helped, quality opposition / quality finishing was to be expected, and yes having players able to adapt / play in number of roles, useful. In League 1 or Champ so much easier, but at Prem level, sooner or later, you will be found out.
    Ayling, Dallas, Allioski, Phillips, Rodrigo, Shack , Struijk, etc all are at present / have had to play out of their main or true positions, and for number or reasons, find it tough - size, height, speed, tackling, awareness, RB at LB etc.
    We keep hearing about building combinations & partnerships in defence or up front, fingers crossed this can happen once Koch / Llorente return, and maybe a proper LB.
    Burnley up next, 90 mins of direct, set piece play !!

True but bar Dallas who has the modern day versatility of Paul M (though sadly not quite his talent} think players are coached to be flexible.

Basic issue is with injuries it makes the weaknesses and lack of top top quality throughout the first coach match day squad harder to cover.

You give me a manger that keeps this back four up

LB- Alioski
    CB- Ayling
    CB- Struijk
    RB- Dallas

and I'll give him the manager of the millienium award, because thats what we are facing if Cooper is out for any period of time. It is woeful luck to lose 3 CBs but and I said it many a time at the start of the season we should have strengthened at full back. I adore Alioski but you know what I also adored Andy Hughes, was he good enough for PL? No. Is Alioski? No.

Shackelton at RB is laughable, kid works hard but can't play there, ****y tiny Leif Davies at CB will be a whole load of fun vs the gigantors at Burnley and West Brom.

Attacking wise, come at us, I think we have the best attacking football in the league on our day but defensively I'd be pushed to find a worse equipped side. I just hope we stay up this year and address the defense properly and central midfield so that it isn't just Kalvin, we can't depend on Kalvin having a good game 38 out of 38 games which is what were doing now, unless Forshaw is rebooted like robocop

Hate to say it but think Coopers probably out for Burnley

also think it's crazy to suggest but Maybe Cresswell and Strujik start with Ayling and Dallas on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    You give me a manger that keeps this back four up

LB- Alioski
    CB- Ayling
    CB- Struijk
    RB- Dallas

and I'll give him the manager of the millienium award, because thats what we are facing if Cooper is out for any period of time. It is woeful luck to lose 3 CBs but and I said it many a time at the start of the season we should have strengthened at full back. I adore Alioski but you know what I also adored Andy Hughes, was he good enough for PL? No. Is Alioski? No.

Shackelton at RB is laughable, kid works hard but can't play there, ****y tiny Leif Davies at CB will be a whole load of fun vs the gigantors at Burnley and West Brom.

Attacking wise, come at us, I think we have the best attacking football in the league on our day but defensively I'd be pushed to find a worse equipped side. I just hope we stay up this year and address the defense properly and central midfield so that it isn't just Kalvin, we can't depend on Kalvin having a good game 38 out of 38 games which is what were doing now, unless Forshaw is rebooted like robocop
    100% right that is what I have been saying all alone and you and others taking pots at me. The only thing with the defence thing even with 2 cb we were been pumped. I don't think we will go down no way as we are so unpredictable we are going to win a few games.

been watching some u23 games, cresswell looks half decent, worth a shot given the circumstances. Agree we should have brought more defenders in this season, rather than a team of wingers.

Drameh looks good too. Greenwood was excellent against Fulham in an AM role thought he was Pablo for a second when I started watching that’s how good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Drameh looks good too. Greenwood was excellent against Fulham in an AM role thought he was Pablo for a second when I started watching that’s how good he was.
    Agreed. Drameh and Greenwood have real potential. Also, the phrase is square pegs, round holes, right?

I'm pretty sure I could get a round peg in a square hole with a big enough hammer.

Cherry is right - square pegs / round holes, but i think the latter best describes our defence.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)