+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven McLean

Steven McLean

Asides from how come we had him as ref again so soon after the Sevco game, but has this guy got an agenda against us or something? Following on from the incompetent failure to send off Morelos, how the actual phuck did he not give a penalty for the foul on McMullan in the last fif**** minutes? I mean he is literally ten yards away and watching it straight on when it happens!

Some say its because of his brother, im not so sure

Is he no just quite poor as a ref?

Iv never been in the paaranioa camp that thinks every ref has an agenda against us even though we have had some horrendous decisions over the years. I do genuinely beleive there has been a OF bias with referreing against all teams whether thats deliberate or not, i think probably not... but its the pressure that gets to them.

McLean on the other hand seems different though. Im seriously thinking there is something in this as the decisions he has been making against us are ones which he can 100% see with no excuses. I really do beleive this ref is worth the club investigating and taking the evidence to be looked at

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Asides from how come we had him as ref again so soon after the Sevco game, but has this guy got an agenda against us or something? Following on from the incompetent failure to send off Morelos, how the actual phuck did he not give a penalty for the foul on McMullan in the last fif**** minutes? I mean he is literally ten yards away and watching it straight on when it happens!
    I guess he lives reasonable local so travel can be minimised? Stonewall penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I guess he lives reasonable local so travel can be minimised? Stonewall penalty.
    It was a total bricker. He robbed us of an opportunity against a 10 man Sevco and last night after the non penalty I was totally expecting Killie to go up and grab a goal back so that you suddenly go from should be being 3-0 up to clinging on to a 2-1. It was ridiculous.

I love ref bashing. Great sport.
    Purely for balance though.....
    Morelos one - I have sympathy with him(ref not Morelos) I dont think he could have seen the second movement of the arm. 4th official should have seen that but difficult for the ref. Big call to get a red card out without being certain and when your official colleagues have let you down.
    Penalty- I agree, thought it was a clear pen. McMullen was slipping though and it might have looked like he was on his way down already.

Undoubtedly wrong decisions in retrospect, but both a judgement rather than pre meditated hatred.

Actually thought he had a good game last night. Didnt fall for Brophy's diving or McKenzie's diving and tried to let the game flow a bit.

Maybe I have just started drinking too early though. Will happily give him dogs abuse next time he has our game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I love ref bashing. Great sport.
    Purely for balance though.....
    Morelos one - I have sympathy with him(ref not Morelos) I dont think he could have seen the second movement of the arm.
    I think he does, if not then he had a bias against Morelos for booking him for something he couldnt see properly.

I totally get what you are saying btw but the booking for it doesnt add up, hes either deemed it only a booking or booked a player for soemthing no-one could see

Players previous actions do colour judgement. Think Butcher gets that too sometimes. Personally was howling for a red at the time of the incident, if he didnt see the arm movement could still see it being late and maybe felt that was a yellow card?! Totally agree a bad decision either way actually, and although I was arguing the other side of the coin, I do think it was a poor one to miss.

I have to admit when I saw this thread this morning my first thought was surely we aren’t signing Steven McLean? He’s retired isn’t he? Are we offering him a coaching role? Strange one, oh no, I hope he hasn’t died.

Fortunately it wasn’t any of those. On refs, generally I think the standard has been quite good so far, and I say that from the perspective of up to now i’ve Not really given it much consideration. Mind you I thought refs in championship were terrible mostly. I’m just grateful we don’t have VAR to ruin the spectacle, or at least how it is managed down South.

I have a degree of sympathy for last nights incident as McMullan was already on his knees in anticipation of the tackle coming in. But it was still a late challenge and should have been a pen.

There were surprisingly few bookings last night though, especially when both teams were holding their own in the challenges. Ive seen games with softer tackles and bookings flying like confetti!

His brother was still sh!t!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)