+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead - Old AFC Left Back

Dead - Old AFC Left Back

Not good news. Chick Mclelland, old left back and coaching stalwart had passed away.

I think Chick had been in a bad way with dementia for the last few years.

RIP min

I mind he scored a volley top corner cracker in a midweek Euro game , I think, Very sad news

Ah, sorry to hear that.
    Cracking player, missed the 76 League Cup Final due to injury, heard mixed reports re: his abilities as a youth coach, but dedicated a goodly chunk of his life to the club.
    RIP fella.

Ach ... saddened tae hear this news ... decent player - often questioned regardin his 'habit' o' hesitatin' on the ball ... for what sometimes seemed an age ... whilst decidin where to put the ball. However, never questioned regarding where he sent it. Perhaps there's a lesson there

RIP Chic, and thanks for the good times.

Affa sorry to hear this. I did my coaching qualifications with him and Drew Jarvie in the Pittodrie car park back in the 1990s.

The goal he scored in Europe was against Fortuna Dusseldorf, where we nearly pegged back their 3-0 lead from the first leg. He never failed to remind us of it, and I think he added five yards to the distance every time he mentioned it.

http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtu...9&squad=Senior

He wisna in a good way mentally when he was onstage with the team at the 40th anniversary dinner of the 76 League Cup winning squad in 2016, although Billy Williamson played at LB in the final.

As a community coach, the kids and their parents thought the world of him, and although there was a dearth of talent came through at the time, Chic could only work with the material scouted for him.

Poor loon. Rest easy, Chic.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post

The goal he scored in Europe was against Fortuna Dusseldorf, where we nearly pegged back their 3-0 lead from the first leg. He never failed to remind us of it, and I think he added five yards to the distance every time he mentioned it.

http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtu...9&squad=Senior
    There was whispers that the ref had been bought that night.

His performance suggested as much, we should have definitely took that to extra time, at least.

Am I imaginin things, or did Chic sometimes play at right back?

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Am I imaginin things, or did Chic sometimes play at right back?
    Not to my knowledge.

Ian Hair or Stuart Kennedy were the right backs then, and in fact Billy Williamson played at right back, left back, and even centre forward, so he’d have filled in for Hair. I remember Billy scoring a hat trick to win a midweeker 3-2 against the victims around 1973.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 26-12-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Chic sold me an Olivetti golfball typewriter once.

Billy’s hat trick was in 75 v the wanchors, and I recall girning whingeing greeting and splenetic letters, poorly punctuated too, full of split infinitives and ill-judged gerunds, in the Green Final complaining that we should have won by about 40 more goals, and that that left half Willie Miller wouldn’t ever amount to anything.

Thank goodness our supporters are more appreciative nowadays.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...5&squad=Senior
    Last edited by 57vintage; 26-12-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Chic once sold us a state-of-the-art Olivetti electric typewriter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast