+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Sheff Utd Match Preview

Burnley v Sheff Utd Match Preview

The failure to pick up a single point at Leeds due to an amazing refereeing show by Rob Jones means there is a little added pressure on the Clarets to make home advantage count against the Blades. Chris Wilder’s winless Sheffield United have pressures of their own having picked up only 2 points so far this season. I expect the Clarets to start the same line up as began at Elland Road with the possible exception of Stephens replacing Benson. I doubt whether McNeil and Brady will be fit enough to start but hopefully one or both can make the bench. Sheffield United may start their twin Mc’s McGoldrick and McBurnie. I could be a very tight and nervy game so hold on to your hats. COYC!

Benson does not have one single attribute of the three needed to play at EPL level: pace, strength and physical size.

He needs loaning out and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Benson does not have one single attribute of the three needed to play at EPL level: pace, strength and physical size.

He needs loaning out and quick.
    Give the lad a chance. He did well in his first game and had his confidence knocked in his second.

May not be needed

Burnley boss Sean Dyche is hopeful that wing wizards Dwight McNeil and Robbie Brady will be fit to face Sheffield United in the Premier League on Tuesday night.

The pair missed the defeat to Leeds United on Sunday, when the Clarets played without any natural wingers, but could return to take on the struggling Blades.

Both picked up injuries in the win over Wolves a week ago with Brady suffering a hamstring tweak while McNeil has a groin problem.

But Dyche said the volume of games played a part not to involve them at Elland Road, with just 54 hours between kick off times. I think they both have a chance so we will wait and see what tomorrow brings," said Dyche.

"We had the fatigue element of two games and what it might do when you are coming out of a minor injury so we made a decision on that. "They have got a chance I would say for the next one."

The pair joined an injury list that includes Matej Vydra, Jack Cork and Johann Berg Gudmundsson with none of that trio in line to play against Chris Wilder's side.

"I doubt any of them will figure," said Dyche ahead of the clash with Sheffield United.

Will Mumbongo get a chance?
    Last edited by oldcolner; 28-12-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Give the lad a chance. He did well in his first game and had his confidence knocked in his second.
    I desperately want to see our young players develop OC, but the EPL is not the place for youth development.

Like you said irreparable damage can be inflicted on a young player's confidence if he thinks he is not up to it after one or two poor performances.

Sinkov can rhyme you off a list from his memory.

I agree with Oldcolner, give Benson a chance. I have not seen Stephens show any signs of being worth a starting place since his transfer to the Clarets, so I hope Dyche does not make such a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    I agree with Oldcolner, give Benson a chance. I have not seen Stephens show any signs of being worth a starting place since his transfer to the Clarets, so I hope Dyche does not make such a change.
    I thought we looked like a proper professional football team once Stephens and Rodriguez entered the fray and we reverted to 4-3-3. It's too soon for Benson IMHO fellas.

I'm fairly confident that if we'd have had a week after the Leeds game, both McNeil and Brady would have been playing. We could afford to lose against Leeds, we can't afford to lose tomorrow, so I expect both Brady and McNeil were given an extra couple of days and will be starting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I thought we looked like a proper professional football team once Stephens and Rodriguez entered the fray and we reverted to 4-3-3. It's too soon for Benson IMHO fellas.
    I agree with BT, Benson isn't good enough yet, but what can Sean do, when Brady, McNeil and Berg are laid up, there's bugger all else.

BBC

Sheffield United are assessing Oliver Burke and Oli McBurnie with respective back and shoulder issues.

John Lundstram remains suspended and joins fellow midfielder Sander Berge as certain absentees.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
    Sheffield United took four points off the Clarets last term, winning at home and drawing at Turf Moor.
    Burnley have lost just one of the past eight meetings in all competitions, winning four and drawing three.

Burnley
    Burnley are unbeaten in three successive home league matches, having lost each of the previous four.
    They are looking to record three successive home victories for the first time since October 2019.
    The Clarets have scored just eight league goals this season, a league-low alongside opponents Sheffield United.
    Only one of Burnley's five league clean sheets this term came at Turf Moor.
    Burnley have lost their last league fixture in just one of the past seven calendar years.
    The next goal scored by the Clarets will be the 200th in the Premier League under Sean Dyche's management.

Sheffield United
    Sheffield United have two points after 15 league matches, equalling the joint-worst start to a season ever made by a club in England's top four leagues.
    The Blades can equal QPR's Premier League record of 16 winless matches to start a season, set in 2012-13.
    They will equal their top-flight club record winless run of 19 games should they fail to win.
    The Blades have lost nine of their past 10 league fixtures.
    Sheffield United began 2020 eighth in the Premier League table. They had 29 points from 20 matches.
    Both of the Blades' two points came against fellow bottom-five clubs.
    They have lost just one of their last 12 away league games in Lancashire, winning four and drawing seven.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)