+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Asghar Signings

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    We went downhill right from that moment as it killed the enthusiasm of the remaining squad and fans when we were gonna finish 2nd/3rd and on course to have our third best ever league season pts per game (outwith 1983 and 1987) and had just reached a second consecutive final

We also weakened the full back area, we let Watson and Townsend go that jan window and brought in McGowan and a past prime Dixon

Then at end of season lost Ciftci, Fojut, Rado and Butcher

That's 8 players that helped us be a very strong team and squad all let go and not replaced with as good.. a joke period and couple of windows

However what's done is done, we just don't repeat any of that in the future, we are now back and need to consolidate this season which we have so far since in difficult times... Then look to progress going forward and break back into the top 4

A good summary of our self inflicted downfall. And we wonder why Middle Eastern Sanitary Technician no longer graces this board?

GMS didn't want to play in the final against his new club so just Armstrong left then who was gash in the previous final v Fermers,in fact both were.

MacNamara (and all the managers that followed)and Thompson both being inept at their jobs put us back and not the sale of the Tim two . MacNamara couldn't even steady the ship never mind progress us and had to go at the end of that season but didn't .

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
    Looking at the current lack of quality both in defence and midfield in particular is there anybody else thinking that Tony Asghar needs to get his finger out, the majority of his signings brought in have arguably weakened the team, some of them have not even played a full game, sent out on loan etc. Cause they are not good enough, we need to replace half the team in January with better than what we've got or we will be dragged right down into a relegation battle, so frustrated at the s*** we are serving up just now.
    Not only his signings but his contract extensions also. Harkes for example. Signed a 2 year contract extension when we were managerless. Now a bench player. Connolly signed a 2 year extension four weeks into MM's reign without us having played a game. Barely good enough.

Disagree that we need to replace half of them or we're in a relegation battle. Three or four more wins and we're safe imo. We're a long way from relegation.
    Last edited by tHeArAb; 30-12-2020 at 09:03 PM.

My worst period on this board was when i had seen through the lies of Thompson and was very critical of him.Makey up posters either mates or Thompson himself were on here FN slaughtering me and i got zero back up from fellow posters or any of the mods,in fact a good few posters on here at the time sided with them and joined in,FACT.

We shouldn't be resigned to accepting 'standard stuff'

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    We shouldn't be resigned to accepting 'standard stuff'
    Bigger picture man, most on here want a better standard of player, which imo is what is stopping MM, playing in a way that pleases the eye, but in case you didn't notice there is a pandemic and with it has come repercussions which affected us.
    This is anything but a standard season and as such the priority is to stay up no matter what. In the circumstances I give MM and all players backing regardless of the pish being produced on the park.

The time to discuss the manner and standard of football played if we do stay up is when things are back to normal and the club do nothing to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Bigger picture man, most on here want a better standard of player, which imo is what is stopping MM, playing in a way that pleases the eye, but in case you didn't notice there is a pandemic and with it has come repercussions which affected us.
    This is anything but a standard season and as such the priority is to stay up no matter what. In the circumstances I give MM and all players backing regardless of the pish being produced on the park.

The time to discuss the manner and standard of football played if we do stay up is when things are back to normal and the club do nothing to change it.
    It would be interesting to see the wage bill's of all the club's involved in this season's relegation battle,i mean every club bar the OF,Sheep and Hibs.
    The reason i mention this is i and others on here have sometimes defended our style of play or lack of it by arguing that we are in the top league with a Championship squad due to the pandemic.
    This of course has a ring of truth about it but many of our players have played at Premiership level for other teams.We also have full internationalists on our books too.
    The point i'm getting at is i think we are paying players more(I may well be wrong)than some if not most of our rivals and i really need to ask why we cannot play a more attractive style of football if we are supposed to have a higher standard of player?.
    I would be grateful if anyone on here knew for example what the wage bill is for United compared to ST Mirren.

Type Scottish Premiership 2020-21 Clubs Wage Bills into Google and find the sportekz.com site
    That will give all you need

For info last seasons prize money

1. Celtic – £3.35m
    2. Rangers – £2.3m
    3. Motherwell – £2.06m
    4. Aberdeen – £1.81m
    5th - Livingston - £1.68m
    6th - St Johnstone - £1.56m
    7th - Hibernian - £1.43m
    8th - Kilmarnock - £1.37m
    9th - St Mirren - £1.31m
    10th - Ross County -5.00% - £1.25m
    11th - Hamilton Accies 4.75% - £1.18m
    12th - Hearts - 4.50% - £1.12m
    Ladbrokes Championship
    1st - Dundee United - £562,500
    2nd - Inverness CT - £475,000
    3rd - Dundee - £400,000
    4th - Ayr United - £325,000

Plenty to see, compare and talk about in terms of wages and prize money

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    The point i'm getting at is i think we are paying players more(I may well be wrong)than some if not most of our rivals and i really need to ask why we cannot play a more attractive style of football if we are supposed to have a higher standard of player?.
    I would be grateful if anyone on here knew for example what the wage bill is for United compared to ST Mirren.
    No one can know that and anyone who makes a point out of it is just speculating to suit their own suspicions.

This thing about us having a Championship squad is over played. We won the league by miles so we clearly had a squad better then the league we were in.

Edit - managed to get it all in a format that can be read in one place, as said in prev post

Type Scottish Premiership 2020-21 Clubs Wage Bills and find the sportekz.com site
    That will give all you need
    For info last seasons prize money with this year's
    Wage bill {WB} andMax Salary (MS}
    1. Celtic – £3.35m* WB £60m MS £870k
    2. Rangers – £2.3m WB £42.5m MS £721k
    3. Motherwell – £2.06m WB £3.25m MS £60k
    4. Aberdeen – £1.81m WB £15m MS £140k
    5th - Livingston - £1.68mWB £3.65m MS £57k
    6th - St Johnstone - £1.56m WB £3.45m MS £55k
    7th - Hibernian - £1.43m WB £5.4m MS £120k
    8th - Kilmarnock - £1.37m WB £6m MS £70k
    9th - St Mirren - £1.31mWB £4.25m MS £45k
    10th - Ross Co-- £1.25m WB £3m MS £51k
    11th - Accies - £1.18m WB £4.75m MS £135k
    12th - Hearts* - £1.12m
    Ladbrokes Championship
    1st - Dundee Utd - £562,500 WB £5m MS £140k
    2nd - Inverness CT - £475,000
    3rd - Dundee - £400,000
    4th - Ayr United - £325,000

Plenty to see, compare and talk about in terms of wages and prize money

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)