+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Barry and Mike!

Thank you Barry and Mike!

It's around 21 years ago when Barry Kilby became our chairman. We were bumbling around in the third tier at the time (cue comments about being in tier 4 now!).
    No one could have predicted the rise in our fortunes since then.
    Both Barry and Mike Garlick are responsible for making us into a pretty much established Premier League club, this is our seventh season at the top table in the last 11 years.

But it was becoming blindingly obvious that, as things stood, this could not be sustained. So Mike G and John B set about finding our new owners, who hopefully, can take us up another notch.

No guarantees of course, but my first impression of Mr Pace is a very favorable one.
    We now have a fighting chance of really establishing BFC as a force into the future.

So I say "Thank You!" to Barry Kilby and Mike Garlick for the astonishing return to major footy in Burnley, along with the massive improvements off the field too.

Who would have thought it possible back in 1999? Certainly not me.

A little story about the only time I have met Barry Kilby.
    One of our major customers at work was an IT company based in Budapest. They were planning a three day visit to see us, and being keen footy fans asked if we could arrange ground tours of Turf Moor and Old Trafford.
    I rang up the club saying,"I have two Hungarian businessmen who are keen to look round Turf Moor"
    This very obviously put the club on totally the wrong track (for which i apologfise Mr Kilby).
    When we got to the ground we we treated like royalty.
    We were having a cup of tea and sandwiches when a lady came in saying, "Mr Kilby would like to see you in his office"
    So the three of us trouped into the boardroom and there was Barry, Paul Fletcher and two other directors who, I am ashamed to say, I didn't recognise.
    Paul Fletcher opened the conversation saying, "Keep this quiet, but we have just put a bid in for Didier Drogba"
    Pretty soon they realised that my guests were not interested in investing in the Clarets, but they treated us very well.

Two days later my guests did the Old Trafford stadium tour, but they enjoyed their Turf Moor experience much more.

Thanks Barry, thanks Mike.

Hear hear, they worked miracles with buttons and other directors. Lovely story, why didn’t Drogba come lol?

Thanks to the others too

Barry Kilby and Brendan Flood are among the Burnley board members who have left the club with immediate effect following ALK Capital's takeover.

The duo have been longstanding members of the Clarets board with Kilby a former chairman and vice-chairman.

Long-serving board member Clive Holt is also stepping down, along with Brian Nelson and Terry Crabb.

Outgoing chairman Mike Garlick remains on the board, which will be headed by new chairman Alan Pace, while John Banaskiewicz also remains a director.

The departures signal the end of the era with Kilby having had a 22-year association with the Clarets having joined the board in 1998 and taking over as chairman two months later. He left in May 2012 and returned as vice chairman in October 2105 following a personal battle with prostate cancer.

Flood spent two spells at Turf Moor as a director, becoming the club's major investor and operational Director in 2007 and returning in March 2014, having resigned for personal reasons in January 2013.

Holt departs after joining the board in 1986 while Nelson and Crabb arrived in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

A Clarets statement said: "The contributions of all the above directors cannot be under-estimated in helping to shape the football club and subsequently play a major part in our status as a debt-free Premier League club.

"We thank them for their service and wish them every success for the future."

Hear hear

Our new broom is certainly sweeping.

Brian Kilby has been an inspiration for Burnley,sad to see him leave the Board . Such a down to earth guy as well. Anybody know what his thoughts on the takeover are?

the time was going to come sooner or later....it began to end, a rollercoaster it was, but I hope they enjoyed the ride...and they went out on a high, Perfect.

anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

the time was going to come sooner or later....it began to end, a rollercoaster it was, but I hope they enjoyed the ride...and they went out on a high, Perfect.

anyway.....

Cracker, did you do the White Lives Matter one too. Lol

Brilliant Norder as usual .

I'm not sure they have withdrawn completely. UCFB for instance is still independent of VSP.

From what I can ascertain VSP have only wiped out Burnley Holdings and not the fringe companies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'm not sure they have withdrawn completely. UCFB for instance is still independent of VSP.

From what I can ascertain VSP have only wiped out Burnley Holdings and not the fringe companies.
    Have they really wiped Burnley Holdings out so it disappears or just bought 84% of it and it carries on with new directors - as I had expected. Nothing changed on Companies house website yesterday. The last posting was of the 122000 shareholders. Makes shares worth almost £2000 each
    Would be good if the other subsidiary and associated companies carry on with their input.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 01-01-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)