+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the long awaited defensive coach finally here?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    So if we need a defensive coach as one or two on here are always banging on about, don't we also need a midfield coach and an attacking coach because those areas of the team are equally in need of serious attention?
    Incidentally, just remember we have had a goalkeeping coach for years but people consistently say Blackman is hopeless and the previous two on-loan keepers received a fair bit of criticism too.
    Makes you wonder where it will all end don't it?��
    Feel free to have your opinion on the club/players/management etc.

The defensive coach (if we get one) will concentrate on the defenders freeing time for the others to concentrate on the rest.
    We need a leader in midfield, we have one imo but maybe he needs to show it or have permission to show it (we don’t know what they’re told)
    Warrington needs to step up his coaching or he can go for me

Always thought Woody would be given the defensive coach job after this season end, either taking a player / coach position, play when needed, or retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Always thought Woody would be given the defensive coach job after this season end, either taking a player / coach position, play when needed, or retire.
    With the number of errors and penalties we’ve given away maybe we need two defensive coaches!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Could still happen

Tonge (if he has been appointed) could be short term contract

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Ick will always have a rick in him. One a game unfortunately 😕
    Agree grumpy, remember the play-off semi against scunny at nys, never thought he would pull a millers shirt on again after that 1st half performance, awful.

Warne on having Dale Tonge at Roundwood on a temporary basis recently…

“I’ve always got on well with Tongey, unfortunately with the way football is, there are a lot of good people out of a job. I always invite people in to watch us work and have a say. I’m close with him, so I told him if he thought there was anything he thought we could improve, then say it. I’m not above criticism, anything but, all I want is the best for the team.

“It was the perfect opportunity to get him out of the house, he came on a voluntary basis and I was really pleased with him. He’s really knowledgeable about the game, he’s a really good coach and he’s got a good history with the club, all those reasons were why I was happy for him to come in.”

Thank you Tonge, Warney might realise fans also have different opinions.

Warne on the benefits of hearing different opinions…

“I’ve nicked this saying out of a book somewhere, ‘don’t be a prisoner to your own success,’ essentially it means just because you’ve done something one way doesn’t mean it can’t be done another. We get into that routine as human beings and we can’t help it, so I always like having people from outside coming in.

“For example, we’ve got players here who we’ve had for so long that we’ve come to a conclusion about them, in the sense that we know what they can and can’t do. Someone might come in and say ‘wow I really like him, he’s really good at that.’ When people like Tongey come in they can sometimes just hit the refresh button and we all need that from time to time.”

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Thank you Tonge, Warney might realise fans also have different opinions.

Warne on the benefits of hearing different opinions…

“I’ve nicked this saying out of a book somewhere, ‘don’t be a prisoner to your own success,’ essentially it means just because you’ve done something one way doesn’t mean it can’t be done another. We get into that routine as human beings and we can’t help it, so I always like having people from outside coming in.

“For example, we’ve got players here who we’ve had for so long that we’ve come to a conclusion about them, in the sense that we know what they can and can’t do. Someone might come in and say ‘wow I really like him, he’s really good at that.’ When people like Tongey come in they can sometimes just hit the refresh button and we all need that from time to time.”
    Well there is a certain stateless to what we do. Maybe new eyes and ideas are needed.

Can't see PW taking on anybody that would be a threat to his own job though

Could it be a Tongue in cheek comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Can't see PW taking on anybody that would be a threat to his own job though
    Well of course he won't. What Manager in their right mind would take on somebody who thought was going to try and take his job?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast