+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 74 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Every day the vaccine rolls out

Quote Originally Posted by AraBrian View Post
    Guessing that a lot of the people who would have died of the flu this year will have died of covid they both seem to kill the old and vonrable.Also everyone wearing masks sanatising keeping distance and lockdown will have played a part.They saying that obesity plays a large part in deaths from covid we are third worst country for deaths and fourth worst for obesity.They reckon two thirds of english are over weight or obese crazy.
    I am led to believe that Flu, the cold and a few others all sit on the Coronavirus spectrum, and i do have a theory on that and i does align with what you say. Who would have thought! I keep asking the question as to how many have had as much as a wee sniffle since last March? I have not even had my seasonal cough that keeps getting me year after year! And i am a fully paid up member of the fat ******* club.

I was going to ask - when was the last time any of you had a cold? I certainly haven't had one in the last year and I normally get at least one a year. In September I had my first visit to the office and had a dodgy throat by the of the day, which I thought was going to develop into a cold. Felt fine after a day or two though, so may just have been the difference in air with air-con, etc.

Limiting contact with other people definitely reduces your chances of catching all sorts of nasties, not just covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    I am led to believe that Flu, the cold and a few others all sit on the Coronavirus spectrum, and i do have a theory on that and i does align with what you say. Who would have thought! I keep asking the question as to how many have had as much as a wee sniffle since last March? I have not even had my seasonal cough that keeps getting me year after year! And i am a fully paid up member of the fat ******* club.
    Think this is the first winter ever I have not had at least one cold no cough sniffles nothing.

Think i have agreed with your suspicions about that in the last thread. It is always in the back of my mind when looking at the daily figures, but "Died of Covid", "Died with Covid" or "Covid Suspected" does create a huge element of doubt that i think will be looked out in the years of enquiry's we will be subjected to!
    aye i remember chick, will defo be lower figures of died due to covid than whats reported

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    I was going to ask - when was the last time any of you had a cold? I certainly haven't had one in the last year and I normally get at least one a year. In September I had my first visit to the office and had a dodgy throat by the of the day, which I thought was going to develop into a cold. Felt fine after a day or two though, so may just have been the difference in air with air-con, etc.

Limiting contact with other people definitely reduces your chances of catching all sorts of nasties, not just covid.
    not had anything for over a year and thats with me travelling all over, airports, railway stations, etc

Common cold is most classically a rhinovirus. Highly prevalent but not something that is dangerous. Low level exposure throughout life builds immunity. Only extremely frail would be likely to come to any harm

Flu is an influenza virus. Behaves quite differently with frequent alterations. Degree of cross immunity that we hold, but these shifts in structure create "new" challenges and predictable flu seasons. Can cause pandemic if there is a large antigenic shift and becomes in effect "very new" to all humans. Vaccination one of the best developments in recent years to help against impact. Because the virus alters and therefore immunity not maintained disproportionately impacts those with least innate immunity- older/frailer despite being carried most commonly by younger people. Hence vaccinating children tobreduce prevalence is a desirable approach.

Coronaviruses are subtly different to both these. You have little cross immunity to different coronaviruses and as such they all present as brand new. Each coronavirus has varying severity. The perfect virus to create pandemic. Vaccination is the only answer really. Previous coronaviruses (SARS/MERS etc. were not as successful due to their innate properties and short incubation periods)
    Absolutely amazing that the biotechnology has delivered these vaccines as quickly and even better that process can be reproduced for any future coronavirus threats.

They are all the same though in how they are spread. Droplets and aerosol spread so
    contact and distance precautions against one help against all of these.

Ultimately subtly different but essentially the same!

Thanks dreamy!

I had picked it up that they were all a Coronavirus, but your last bit make more sense to me now in that the original descriptions i was relying on did not specifically mention spread.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    not had anything for over a year and thats with me travelling all over, airports, railway stations, etc
    A bit like saying I've crossed the road for over a year and not been knocked down. Lucky so far I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by GFLower View Post
    A bit like saying I've crossed the road for over a year and not been knocked down. Lucky so far I'd say.
    I have crossed roads for the last 60 years and not been knocked down think has more to do with paying attention than luck to be honest.Think the same with OA not catching anything on his travels think down to masks distancing etc.

Looks like no Euros at Hampden then.............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

Page 74 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)