+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin

Confirmed on a two and half year deal and will be in charge for todays game at Motherwell.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Confirmed on a two and half year deal and will be in charge for todays game at Motherwell.
    We’ll it’s an absolute meh from me. Don’t understand what the rush was to get someone in within a week. Goodwin was on the verge of the sack a few months ago. I’d much rather we’d looked worldwide for someone with knowledge of other leagues where bargains are to be had.

Just another nail in the coffin for me. Really losing interest fast which is painful but there is no way due diligence has been done properly here.

Uninspiring panic appointment.

Morning All Lets wait and see surely cannae do any worse than Glass Just a Shame it didnt happen start of Jan then we might have got McGrath Too !

Welcome to Mr Goodwin, at least we have appointed someone with experience in the league. I reckon it will be a bumpy ride for a while yet though.

He’ll need first of all to assess who to keep and who to offload but he will already have a good idea, having played them on numerous occasions already. Surely JET will soon be jettisoned. Also, our central defence has been far too shaky and needs major surgery. We also lack pace and penetration going forward as well as a target man to hold the ball up and either turn the defender or lay it off to the wings. Ramirez has been a good signing but with more regular and better service he could be a prolific scorer. He also needs someone along side him, eg, that target man to flick/head the ball on for him. The possession-based style that Glass tried to invoke didn’t work - there was invariably no end product and the team lacked any sense of urgency and directness when in favourable attacking positions with the ball either going backwards or sideways. In other words, there’s work to be done and money to be spent on shaking up the team as well as the change of Management which won’t have been inexpensive!

Target man?

Ability in the air, good control, good distribution, big strong lad.

I've just described JET

Just persuade the b'astard to stay up front.

Oh, and welcome Jim lad, don't let us down.

Ambivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Target man?

Ability in the air, good control, good distribution, big strong lad.

I've just described JET

Just persuade the b'astard to stay up front.

Oh, and welcome Jim lad, don't let us down.
    I agree that he’s most of those things as well as being clearly overweight, unfit, not very mobile and inconsistent! That’s maybe why he’s at Aberdeen rather than Arsenal!

Target men don't have to be that mobile as long as everyone else around them is.

I don't know what his instructions have been, and there's no doubt he's been a disappointment, but I reckon Goodwin should tell him to go up front and bide up front.

If he then wanders aimlessly around then get him to f'uck.

After the failed gamble of Glass, Cormack was always going to go the safer route of a manager experienced in the SPFL this time around and looking at all of the options, Goodwin to me was the best option so welcome aboard Jim.

All managers live or die by who they bring in and release so we have to be patient until we see what changes he makes to the squad (not Group please Jim) in the Summer.

In the meantime as a minimum I would like to see the team look as though they really want to play for Aberdeen by being properly motivated, I want to see us being better organised defensively as we need to start keeping clean sheets as a loss rate of 50% is just ridiculous and I would like to see him getting more out of certain players that seem to have stagnated under Glass e.g. Ferguson.

Whilst I would love to see us playing exciting attacking football, the disastrous last two transfer windows means that we simply don't have enough quality attacking players to do that consistently so I am willing to put up with pragmatic results based football for the last dozen games to finish as far up the table as possible. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I do enjoy the variety of European football (and hopefully next season we may get back to being able to go to away games) so would be still looking for a fourth placed finish, fifth at worst as likely either celtic or sevco will win the Scottish Cup.

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast