+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin

Ah wisna gan tae say nithin, it bein the season o' goodwin ... err goodwill ... an aa that, an' dinna want tae rattle ony particular radges cage ... but ... the bramble an' raisin wine has said itherwise, so ....

Excuse ma aged brain, but Ah'm gey sure there wis a time on this forum, which Ah still like, an' happy tae stick wi' ... that folk would spik aboot the game and events therein ... but noo, Ah canna help but think there's a tendency tae oversimplify tae the point o' bein blinkered.

Maybe 'Traffic-Cone-Considine' wis the turnin point ... scapegoat-ism and manager bashin' strollin in alongside.

Ah'll concede that Goodwin is 'not the Messiah' but ffs ... we are seein' a collection o' defenders, fa on their day, can produce performances, but canna seem, together, tae hae the same 'day'. ....

Celtic game aside, Ah canna accept it's doon tae tactics, and therefore nae aa doon tae the manager.

"Well, he signed them" is a lazy manager bashin approach. .. but todays game wis bizarre.

Captain Stew has been shaky the last few games .... seems tae have developed a cotton wool boot. Today, he singlehandedly gave the game
    away ... Dinna see how 'tactics' figures.

Jak Mac ... a player I rate ... fkd up for that 3rd goal ... his options were .. 1. Blooter it! 2. stick it oot o' touch an' gie Kelle time tae get back in goal 3. tak the St M player oot - get sent aff maybe, but play stops, and we get behind the baa.... option 4? ... anythin but try an' make a pass while under pressure with the opposition surgin' forward, and naebody behind!

Stewart's series o' actions were that o' a crap defender, and a poor captain ... A captain is the guy the rest o' the team should be lookin tae for inspiration, influence and drive - that for sure is for Goodwin tae consider, but Ah jist dinna see how oor 'besieged' boss is responsible for so many balls given back tae the opposition, in oor ain half, in so many games, tae oor cost.

I think it's cos they are crap! ... but have shown against diddy teams they are 'nae bad' ... perhaps the basis o' their bein signed.

Mair likely, they show up well as individual players, with particular 10/10 attributes in certain aspects, but jist dinna perform as a unit ... like a good clown, good tightrope walker, good juggler, good acrobat ... great in a circus, but total b0ll0cks as a quiz night team.

But yeah, he signed them/named them on the team sheet.

The January window is a week away ... I for one will give Goodwill ... err ... Goodwin this window and the rest o' the season if the defence can be sorted out. Efter aa, you only need one goal tae win a game, and there are very few games we draw a blank ... unlike last season ... as evidenced by the many 'Wine Cup' rollovers

I don’t know what to think. This is a far better team than that which Glass put together. It’s a better watch and I’m still hopeful we’ll finish top 6 and maybe even top 4 (I realise I’m at risk of McGoo-ish under ambition here).

On the other hand it increasingly seems like Goodwin is very “my way or the highway”, which is fine if you’re Sir Alex, but a bit more tricky if you’re not.

Equally he doesn’t seem to be Eddie Howe when it comes to tactics and organisation. The Celtic game was an abomination. It felt like he stumbled over Duk and Miovski as a pairing. And away from home we can’t work out how to set ourselves up to win.

I’m not averse to a manager that can identify good players and then lets them play. But not clear who chose these players. Was it Goodwin? If so, it’s a mixed bag. Middle to front we’re hugely improved, but a fair few of the standout players are loans.

At the back, would a Bates/Scales or a Gallagher/Scales combo be better than Stewart/Scales? I suspect so. Stewart is an old fashioned honest defender but he’s just not very good. Yet both Bates and Gallagher were shipped.

I don’t know what to conclude from all this. I wouldn’t bin Goodwin now. I’d see what can be done with the January window. We’re maybe only a couple of decent defenders away from a big improvement. But I’d be ruthlessly drawing up a list of potential successors and if one of them came available I’d be quick to pull the trigger. But it has to be someone with genuine potential.

Season of goodwill or not….I still say get Goodwin to f@ck. He has shown absolutely nothing and I mean nothing to say he will be of a standard we need at Aberdeen. He’s obviously not a good or hasn’t employed a good coach as his players look bang average at best when under pressure. His choice of captain and his main player in his defence is shambolic.
    We are a team who will easily buckle under pressure and that doesn’t say a lot about the man who has put them all together. We are miles off it and anyone who can’t see it must not be opening their eyes to the reality of the situation.

On a brighter note…it’s the January transfer window shortly and that will let us know if our management are going to see out the season (which I doubt). Cormack will have to chuck money to help bail out his latest mistake as a manager or he doesn’t back him and uses the savings to pay him off. I want my team to get better but we really should go with the pay severance and start again. I hope Cormack realises this and saves the club a lot of heartache in the long run.

In my amateur fitba days I would have been delighted to have Stewart play in the centre of my defence.

Making him captain was a strange decision.

We've picked up some decent foreign players but reverted to type with the lower league english dross.

Goodwin can't fall out with many more players ( although I was delighted to see how quickly he got rid of Brown), he's more likely to lose the dressing room than get his own way.

He can fall out with as many players as he likes as long as it doesn't hit the team performances.
    As per NMN I am inclined to give him the season as I think he still deserves it and I don't honestly seeing us getting a better manager.
    I'd be happy if he got rid of Stewart though, both as Captain and a player, just not good enough and not off the back of yesterday.
    We were shyte against Celtic to which I blame Goodwin, we did fine against the Hun until the last few minutes and that was on the players and yesterday which I watched on Alba I thought individual errors screwed us.
    We were never going to get a 100% success rate with our signings and some just have to go as clearly never going to improve us, how quickly we can do that and source better is anyone's guess, but don't think we can progress until we sign a whole new defence.

Throwing good money after bad. Money wasted in this transfer window and then money wasted paying off this charlatan before being stuck with all the dross he has signed. It is the Aberdeen way. Cormack is really not the shrewd businessman he portrays himself to be.

If we really can't do any better than Goodwin then it really is a depressing time to be a Don's fan. Time will tell although miracles in Scottish football are in short supply.

I would have thought if there was any decent manager wanting the Aberdeen job then Jim Goodwin would never have been in contention.

You can’t blame them really,any decent manager with half a brain wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot bargepole.

Aberdeen fc is where managers come to kill their careers.

The fans wishing dave conmack a merry Xmas on twitter are total sell out no soul mother fúckers. Ostriches by nature & nurture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisconti's balls View Post
    The fans wishing dave conmack a merry Xmas on twitter are total sell out no soul mother fúckers. Ostriches by nature & nurture.
    Slagging off your fellow supporters just because they don't agree with you is not a good look.

"People should give credit to our manager’ says Aberdeen’s Matty Kennedy who backs Jim Goodwin to get Reds back ‘on fire"

"Kennedy said: “Every game is massive now.

“We spoke in the dressing room afterwards about going to Kilmarnock and we just need to stick together and stay positive.

“Eventually things will go our way again.

“We were absolutely flying before that five-week break and people tend to forget about how good we were then.

“We were on fire for the first part of the season and I’m sure we’ll get back to that.”

A fair amount to pick apart in there, I would say.

Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast