+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by 8outoftencaat View Post
    Seems to be only 4 in contention - going by media sources - Goodwin, Lennon, Lambert and Ross. Don't particularly want any of them tbh.

Goodwin carries the least baggage so in many ways would be the appointment that would give Cormack less initial flack at least.

Being brutally honest though, out of that lot, would Lennon not be the best option?! I dislike the chunt but if we are going on the basis of success as a manager, he is hands down the best of those options.

For the avoidance of doubt I will re-iterate that I don't really want any of them to get the job but am only suggesting Lennon as the best option if it has to be from the 4 being mentioned....
    Outside of Celtic where Lennon was able to buy the league where is the evidence of any success that Lennon has achieved? Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    Outside of Celtic where Lennon was able to buy the league where is the evidence of any success that Lennon has achieved? Genuine question.
    I think he might have taken Celtic to the knockout stages of the champions League once, got to the group stage a few times...

Just a thought.. Could Eric Black be persuaded to return to fitba ? Ideally a Gothenburg great has a certain logic to it , We will ignore McGhee and Willie but that shouldn't put us off all these legends McLeish, Strachan, have the experience, Given the Men being mentioned at the moment Goodwin ?? Ross ?? Lennon ?? FFS give me a Dons legend any day,

Ignore Willie Miller?

He had us second in all three domestic competitions won by an ex-team that should have had the trophies taken from them after they had been caught cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Ignore Willie Miller?

He had us second in all three domestic competitions won by an ex-team that should have had the trophies taken from them for cheating.
    Aye fair point, Sorry Willie your back in

“Goodwin for Aberdeen” is something we haven’t heard for a long time. The last one was probably against St Paisley coincidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Just a thought.. Could Eric Black be persuaded to return to fitba ? Ideally a Gothenburg great has a certain logic to it , We will ignore McGhee and Willie but that shouldn't put us off all these legends McLeish, Strachan, have the experience, Given the Men being mentioned at the moment Goodwin ?? Ross ?? Lennon ?? FFS give me a Dons legend any day,
    Why though? Not for footballing reasons surely...unless you think our failure is simply down to the previous managers not having any genuine fondness for the club or reciprocated love from the terraces. Sorry. Sentimental *******s in my opinion and the kind of thing that gives us a reputation for living in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Ignore Willie Miller?

He had us second in all three domestic competitions won by an ex-team that should have had the trophies taken from them after they had been caught cheating.
    excellent post.
    that would have made Miller a very very different managerial career and legacy

so far, the candidates are uninspiring (except maybe the foreign bloke)
    ex-players and St Mirren managers are dull

Quote Originally Posted by Redbull666 View Post
    Why though? Not for footballing reasons surely...unless you think our failure is simply down to the previous managers not having any genuine fondness for the club or reciprocated love from the terraces. Sorry. Sentimental *******s in my opinion and the kind of thing that gives us a reputation for living in the past.
    Its definitely not for sentimental reasons, Its based on purely football reasons but with a wee hint of "magic Compatibility" That compatibility is a hard one to explain so I'll try, But first "living in the past" its my belief thats what we have been doing for the last 30 odd years !

Compatibility = A connection between the club its history and its fans, A wide experience of fitba management and proven success... and an very ambitious owner, Preferably very rich and willing to back his love of the club with dosh and tonnes of it.. That to be me is all compatible, Picking up Managers willy nilly with a smidgen of promise has been tried tested and failed time and time again, A huge club with huge potential has frittered away to 9.000 crowds a week so lets get a huge name in a legend and in no particular order Black,, McLeish,, Miller,, Strachan and lets try that..

Strange that of the mentioned candidates Goodwin is a concern because he's a bit of a pr1ck.

Let's get some perspective probably wouldn't go for a pint with Goodwin but wouldn't accompany Lennon to a free brewery to watch a Belinda Carlisle Lingerie tribute act.

For me Goodwin is the most likely of the mentioned turds and I think he would leave us in a couple of seasons better off and with some compo.

Really is Hobsons choice though.

Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast