+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'no substitute goalkeeper' issue

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    How many times a season have we had to replace the keeper I wonder? Presumably it's a 0. something number. The last goalkeeping injury I remember clearly was when Steve Mildenhall was knocked out, but presumably there have been a few since?
    I think it happened in the Nolan season when Adam Collin got injured, but I may be imagining that.

Most of the players were magnificent, but we absolutely dodged a bullet...down to ten with an outfield player in goal, facing a penalty to equalise on 18 minutes.
    Goalkeepers can be injured/sent off as easily as outfield players - what do most of the 23 NL teams do? Have a goalie on the bench I'd expect.

Obviously I gave it the kiss of death pre match but it turned out well.
    I agree with most of what Ardley says but not this one, last night was a freak match but if Slocombe got injured against a competitive team it could be the difference between none and 3 points and not to state the obvious we need points.

It happened when Fitzsimons got sent off and we put the sub keeper on to concede the penalty and probably not touch the ball again.

I've always been a firm believer in not putting a keeper on the bench when you only have 5 subs to choose from as its so rarely needed, on a law of averages Ardley is probably good to not put a GK on the bench for another few years and not be caught out again by it but now we're all thinking about it, Pilling will probably get sent off early on at the weekend and Schmeichel Doyle will concede a hatful on BT Sport.

The new penalty/double jeopardy rule should mean it's even more unlikely for a goalkeeper to get sent off these days too, the only reason Slocombe couldv'e been shown the red is if the referee thought the tackle was dangerous, which is up for debate and probably the reason we either won't appeal or won't win an appeal.

As for our plan if it had happened, Ardley and Doyle both said that plenty of people had put their names forward, McCrory, Turner and Doyle but I imagine when it came down to it and with how early in the game it was it all got a bit real and they had to think about it a bit on the spot. I remember there was always rumours about Wayne Rooney actually being really good in goal in training and Ruben probably fancied it but in the end we went with an experienced head and I'd say that's the reason they missed the penalty and the game not going 1-1 at that point helped us massively.
    Last edited by Freeman25; 10-02-2021 at 02:34 PM.

I think I remember Saul Deeney coming on as a substitute- could have been Orient away - help an old man please 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    I think I remember Saul Deeney coming on as a substitute- could have been Orient away - help an old man please 🤷*♂️
    Can't help you there, but I remember Russell Hoult replacing Kasper late on in the last home game of the Munto season. That was just so we could give Kasper the ovation he deserved, as it was obviously his last home game in a Notts shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    The prem league are allowed to "name" 9 subs after introducing the concussion rule. For the tin pot league to have just 5 is utterly ridiculous and it means that cliubs like Notts are being penalised despite being able to prob name 11 subs who could do nearly as good a job as those on the field.
    The tin pot league would prefer us to have no advantage over part time clubs it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    How many times a season have we had to replace the keeper I wonder? Presumably it's a 0. something number. The last goalkeeping injury I remember clearly was when Steve Mildenhall was knocked out, but presumably there have been a few since?
    Didn't Jake Keen come on last year as Slocombe was struggling with injury?

I am firmly "no keeper on the bench is fine" with the amount of subs we have. Keeper gets injured/red carded maybe once a season, twice at most, on average (someone please run the numbers! I wonder if our guys have?)

I'd far rather have the options for the other 40-odd games where outfield injuries and red cards can force the equally damaging square-peg-in-round-hole substitution panics...

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    I am firmly "no keeper on the bench is fine" with the amount of subs we have. Keeper gets injured/red carded maybe once a season, twice at most, on average (someone please run the numbers! I wonder if our guys have?)

I'd far rather have the options for the other 40-odd games where outfield injuries and red cards can force the equally damaging square-peg-in-round-hole substitution panics...
    Wow, the difference between 3/4 teams at the top of the league can be a couple of points even goal difference. That one game where it goes tits up might cost you a whole season.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast