+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in the CHAMPIONSHIP

Meanwhile, in the CHAMPIONSHIP

Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth told BBC Three Counties Radio:

"Of course we need a win and we went for it towards the end. In the beginning I thought Coventry were dominating and we had to change it at half-time to make sure we got more into the game.

"It worked - Hamer was their star and he went very quiet for them. Curtis Thompson got on him and stopped him playing and then we started creating chances ourselves.

Couldn't get a game with us, 26 appearances for Ainsworth this season. Ardley wouldn't rate him either, far too much energy.

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post

"Of course we need a win and we went for it towards the end. In the beginning I thought Coventry were dominating and we had to change it at half-time to make sure we got more into the game.

"It worked - Hamer was their star and he went very quiet for them. Curtis Thompson got on him and stopped him playing and then we started creating chances ourselves.

Couldn't get a game with us, 26 appearances for Ainsworth this season. Ardley wouldn't rate him either, far too much energy.
    Yeah great

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post

I reckon Wycombe would have picked up several more points and still been in with a realistic chance of staying up had fans been allowed to attend. The enthusiasm at being at that level for the very first time would surely have got that extra 10% out of the team that can make all of the difference. There's a good chance they'll never play at Championship level again, an absolute tragedy for their supporters. Most of the promoted clubs across the pyramid would likely have faired much better with a crowd behind them, including Fulham and West Brom.

Danny Baker on Twitter yesterday....
    "My relationship with football these days is not too dissimilar to that of mates of mine who have gone into prison. I get updates, I like to hear how they're doing - but won't actually be connecting with them till they are out and about again. "

Somebody replied...
    "You’ll be waiting at the gate when the sentence is up...like the abused spouse who just can’t live without what you know is all wrong. ‘We can go back to how things used to be, babe...’"

So who were the list of Notts managers who didn't rate Curtis and didn't give him enough games?

The player who "couldn't get a game for us" made 83 appearances for us, and there were plenty of people slagging him off on this board during that spell.
    How to become a great Notts player on NottsMad? - Move to another club!

The one that seems to have got away is Colby Bishop, how many games did he play for us?

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    The player who "couldn't get a game for us" made 83 appearances for us, and there were plenty of people slagging him off on this board during that spell.
    How to become a great Notts player on NottsMad? - Move to another club!
    To be fair he was played at full back (which very much wasn’t his position) quite a lot of those games. And some of those options reflected that.

It’s a shame it didn’t work for him at Notts. But he’s not the first player nor will be the last to leave and do well.

When compared to those who leave and go into oblivion, it’s a very small list.....

It's all good we released him and signed David Vaughn instead. Nice one Kevin.

Curtis was injured for two consecutive pre seasons, from Kevin Nolans point of view he was a luxury item we couldn't afford as he never really saw the best of him.
    I was very sorry to see him go but it's been the making of him.

Curtis Thompson suffered from poor managerial judgement for much of his time at Notts. He was quite often regarded as a right-back, right midfielder or utility player, where he was okay but not at his best.

Shaun Derry by accident or design put him in central midfield and he became a different player, providing energy, legs, and more skill than he generally given credit for. It was obviously his best position, but after Derry left, Curtis started getting messed around again and then seemed to have problems with injuries, which may not have been helped by the psychology of what was happening to him. A fit Curtis Thompson in midfield was always going to be an asset, and the fact that he is now playing three divisions above us illustrates decisively that the club made a mistake and effectively threw away a very capable, home-grown talent, as we did with Colby Bishop.

The club can't change those mistakes by past regimes, but the current regime need to learn from them and show that we won't waste such young talent in future. When Curtis is plying his trade in the Championship and we're playing a midfielder touching 40 years of age every game in the National League, it is damning indictment of the club's strategy and decision-making in recent years.
    Last edited by jackal2; 21-03-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast