+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    Not sure of Woods , some of his positional has been questionable IMO.

It was a combination of his lame punt to nowhere , along with our defences awkward & weak passing which seemed to encourage the onslaught.
    He’s better with the ball at his feet and kicking than Lewis is - Lewis is atrocious in that department.

I wouldn’t be all that surprised if Lewis is shipped out and a new keeper comes in with woods staying as backup - I don’t think it’s the priority though.

What formation does Glass actually play? I was thinking about this watching yesterday's game... it's not really a 442 as Kamberi was playing out wide a fair bit, and McGinn was central.

It looks like he's certainly going with 4 at the back, and only 1 defensive midfielder. The shape further forward confuses me a little. I'm sure it'll all be clearer when he's brought in his own players.

I don't pretend to be any kind of tactical guru, but was yesterday not fundamentally a 4-4-1-1?

Kamberi on the left, Waste O'Space on the right, Campbell and Ferguson in the middle, with McGinn 'in the hole' and Hendry up front?

The issue seemed to be that the full backs pushed quite high up, leaving Considine and Hoban quite exposed, particularly given neither have any pace.

That's what I didn't really understand. Moving from 3 at the back to 4 makes sense, allows us to be a bit more attacking, but we seemed to double down on that by pushing our full backs on quite a bit, against a team who are known for counter-attacking. Why couldn't we just have played a regular back 4, accepting that with young Ramsey at RB who is learning his trade and Hayes at LB who is not a defender we were also going to be a bit exposed.

Much as I'm glad we've moved away from the safety-first McInnes approach, you do need a bit of defensive solidity to win a match. We seemed a bit cavalier in that regard yesterday, particularly at a time when we're not firing up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    I don't pretend to be any kind of tactical guru, but was yesterday not fundamentally a 4-4-1-1?

Kamberi on the left, Waste O'Space on the right, Campbell and Ferguson in the middle, with McGinn 'in the hole' and Hendry up front?
    That's roughly what I thought - I guess the confusing thing was Kamberi as a winger and McGinn in the middle. Also, Campbell was more sitting in front of the defence while Ferguson was pushed on a bit closer to McGinn - so it wasn't a flat 4 in the middle.

It will maybe all work fine with the right players in place, but like you say, the central defence had no pace and with everyone else pushed further up, only Campbell was really around to help them. With this set of players, it didn't work too well.

For me, that's one of the more interesting things about football management. There's a tension between wanting to have a system, keeping it simple and consistent so that the players understand it and understand their roles, and recognising that it might not always work or you might not have the players to execute it.

Fair play to Glass if he wants us to play a certain way and plans to recruit to make that happen. Ebbe did the same thing with his preference for 4-3-3 and as I remember he had all the teams from the kids up playing that way so that it became the norm.

And I can also see why he'd want to start getting players used to it now and seeing who is up to it and who not. But at the same time after a couple of matches in charge he must have had an inkling of that already. So given how important the cup was to our season, was it wise to press ahead with it in the circumstances against TSMSTID?

It feels as if sometimes certain types of managers are not pragmatic enough.

The problem I can see with Glass is he wants to play a certain way/style of football in a league where we play each other 4 times a season plus Cup games. It won't take long before your opposition susses out what your doing. If Glass doesn't have a plan B then he will suffer the same criticism that was pointed at McInnes being a one trick pony without an alternative plan.

Quote Originally Posted by LED View Post
    The problem I can see with Glass is he wants to play a certain way/style of football in a league where we play each other 4 times a season plus Cup games. It won't take long before your opposition susses out what your doing. If Glass doesn't have a plan B then he will suffer the same criticism that was pointed at McInnes being a one trick pony without an alternative plan.
    It took Mickey Mellon about 60 minutes to suss out how Glass wants us to play, and the oddest part is it was before Glass was even manager.

They just started as they finished when they beat us 1-0. Its one thing to want to impose your game on other teams, but when they've shown you they can compete against it not a month before and add in that the players were clearly nowhere near the physical condition necessary to carry it out then its seriously naive to go ahead with it anyway in our most important game of the season. Huge lack of judgement, positively Cathroesque.

Glass will be gone by Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by LED View Post
    If you have a very decent standard of players then you can do as you please in Scotland. We at Aberdeen unfortunately don’t have the players who can carry out what Glass is wanting. The ones who are still under contract are a big concern because players like Considine and Lewis have run their race and need moved on.
    We need a whole new fresh impetuous injection into our squad for next season. Players who can handle what demands are thrown at them. These type of players won’t all come cheap....Dave Cormack will seriously need to spend to accumulate or we will be in difficult waters too quickly next season.

I have to agree both with action sheep and red john. It just seemed naive to me to try and play a totally alien way of playing to players who he knew were physically not up to that. I hope Cormack knows what he's doing here or he could end up with new players on 3 year contracts and a manager gone by Christmas. It could get very costly

I don't agree with the get rid of Joe Lewis thing. I agree he's not had the best season, but there aren't many better keepers in the league. For me, he's our best keeper since Kjaer. Tougher to replace than some think IMHO.

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast