+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Burchnall

Burchnall

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Ian Burchnall as our new head coach.

Burchnall, 38, arrives with eight years’ experience working in the Scandinavian top tiers and is regarded as one of football’s most exciting young coaches.

Possessing a background in youth coaching, Burchnall’s first senior role came as Brian Deane’s assistant at Norwegian side Sarpsborg in 2012. He then took the same job at Viking FK, paving the way for him to become their manager in 2017.

Off-field issues led to his departure, much to the disappointment of Viking’s supporters, but he was quickly invited to move across the Swedish border to replace now-Brighton manager Graham Potter at Ostersund FK.

Potter had led the club on a meteoric rise through the Swedish football system, culminating in the club’s remarkable qualification for the Europa League, and Burchnall, who had previously worked with Potter while coaching university football in Leeds, was chosen as the man to fill his boots.

Despite the club’s decision to sell numerous key players, Burchnall led Ostersund to a sixth-place finish, one point and a place below the record set by Potter the previous year.

His second season began strongly before off-field problems emerged once again, eventually leading Burchnall to leave his post last summer to pursue his next opportunity in the UK.

And our owners, Chris and Alex Reedtz, are thrilled that Burchnall has chosen Meadow Lane as his next destination.

“We are tremendously excited to welcome Ian to the role of head coach,” said Chris and Alex.

“As part of our ongoing extensive research, we compile detailed profiles of many different coaches and Ian stands out as an outstanding prospect.

“Despite his young age, he has tremendous experience of working in top-flight football and has been linked with several international and club roles since his departure from Ostersund. We feel very lucky to have him and have every confidence that he is the right man to complement our model.

“It’s our hope that Ian will be able to continue our push for promotion this season but we understand it will take him time to fully implement our philosophy. He is a long-term appointment for this club and his performance in the role will be judged on that basis.

“We think supporters will share our appreciation of Ian’s passion for coaching and his willingness to take risks and meet difficult challenges head-on, as he did during his time in Scandinavia, and we’re very excited to see him lead the team for the first time in Saturday’s Buildbase FA Trophy semi-final against AFC Hornchurch.”

Burchnall will be assisted by former Scotland and Rangers full-back Maurice Ross, who has also coached in Scandinavia before most recently being Motherwell’s first-team coach.

Chris and Alex will introduce their new head coach to the media this afternoon.

I was pretty sure it would be a head coach and someone young, sounds promising but still a risk at this stage of the season if we are looking for an immediate impact as there isn't much time for coaching at the moment

Disappointed when first heard the news but as I read the statement I’m a lot more comfortable and happier. This is a huge decision by the owners I’m sure they know a lot about this guy

Not sure about these 'off field' issues but I'm cautiously optimistic about this appointment!

Never heard of him? No idea if this will work out? But anyhoo, welcome to the Lane Ian.

A risk but he doesn't come on the back of 10 defeats in his last 12 games like Ardley did
    May get some Scandinavian players in
    Think we will see big changes. A younger squad for starters
    Last edited by irishpete; 25-03-2021 at 10:01 AM.

He's got a great, intense, stare on him based upon the picture on the website.

Really happy with this appointment, exactly what I expected and wanted, a highly qualified long term appointment.

Just found this, be interesting to hear his views:

https://anchor.fm/scott-noble7/episo...rchnall-ep7rl9

Manager younger than the Captain - interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Rez1862 View Post
    Not sure about these 'off field' issues but I'm cautiously optimistic about this appointment!
    Living in a foreign country away from family in a high stress environment can cause issues.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast