+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 95 of 164 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Window (Stephen Glass’ first)

I think McGrath for £400k is certainly a go-er if we manage to get between £3m and £5m for Ferguson.

It's hard to justify paying a fee for him if we end up keeping Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    I think McGrath for £400k is certainly a go-er if we manage to get between £3m and £5m for Ferguson.

It's hard to justify paying a fee for him if we end up keeping Ferguson
    It does make you wonder though… why are we expecting £3-5m for a guy who’s got no international caps and most of his goals this season were penalties and expecting to get another guy for £400k who now has an international cap and scored a load more goals this season…

Is Ferguson a better player with more potential? Or is it just that hes a year or so ahead of McGrath in terms of development and experience? What justifies him being worth 10 times more?

Quote Originally Posted by LongDistanceRed View Post
    McGrath scored 17 goals last season from Midfield, we don't have any midfielders capable of scoring anywhere near that

Fill your team with goals from everywhere and your not hanging your entire attacking game plan on 1 or 2 players
    Don't want to be picky, as that 17 goals sounds awful good, but up until this year the most he's ever scored in a season is 7. No idea if this is a flash in the pan season but if we are shelling out cash I think we need to be more certain of a decent return, not necessarily one good season (see C. Main). Maybe St M suit his game? he scored a lot of penalties so is he really going to make that difference to us?
    In terms of comparison to our players, he scored only one more league goal, 10, than Ferguson, and he had scored nearly all his goals by the end of October. McGrath also boosted his goal tally playing in the group stages of the League cup and he was credited with one that Joe Lewis chucked in the net (again). We also have McGinn who has scored more than 17 in one season. Hayes has also scored 10 league goals one season. Ferguson is probably off and those 2 are past their best but just making the point he's not that original.
    I don't doubt he would be a good acquisition but as I said if we are spending money, it is better spent elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    It does make you wonder though… why are we expecting £3-5m for a guy who’s got no international caps and most of his goals this season were penalties and expecting to get another guy for £400k who now has an international cap and scored a load more goals this season…

Is Ferguson a better player with more potential? Or is it just that hes a year or so ahead of McGrath in terms of development and experience? What justifies him being worth 10 times more?
    A lot of merit in this post.

Worth noting McGrath has a contract for 9 months and was a part time player last summer. Ferguson has a three year contract and has been playing full time in the top flight for five (? its at least 3 for us and 1 for hamilton) seasons now.

If our best offer for Ferguson this summer is £2M then we shouldn't accept it as we have lots of time in hand. Also even if he was out of contract unlike McGrath he doesn't go to free transfer because of the difference in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by LongDistanceRed View Post
    McGrath scored 17 goals last season from Midfield, we don't have any midfielders capable of scoring anywhere near that

Fill your team with goals from everywhere and your not hanging your entire attacking game plan on 1 or 2 players
    A bit sugar coated by 10 penalties to be fair.
    But I agree he’d be a good signing.

For anyone needing any kind of signing rumour to cling on to, the son of a former SPL player may be on his way!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_End_Bob View Post
    For anyone needing any kind of signing rumour to cling on to, the son of a former SPL player may be on his way!
    F uck me, it better not be Callum Hendry.
    Sheite
    And he’d cost a fee.
    Very underwhelming if it’s him.
    There must be out of contract strikers better than St Johnstone’s 4th choice FFS?
    Last edited by RedStarTorphins; 04-06-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Are you the reincarnation of our much loved mainstandmoan?

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    Don't want to be picky, as that 17 goals sounds awful good, but up until this year the most he's ever scored in a season is 7. No idea if this is a flash in the pan season but if we are shelling out cash I think we need to be more certain of a decent return, not necessarily one good season (see C. Main). Maybe St M suit his game? he scored a lot of penalties so is he really going to make that difference to us?
    In terms of comparison to our players, he scored only one more league goal, 10, than Ferguson, and he had scored nearly all his goals by the end of October. McGrath also boosted his goal tally playing in the group stages of the League cup and he was credited with one that Joe Lewis chucked in the net (again). We also have McGinn who has scored more than 17 in one season. Hayes has also scored 10 league goals one season. Ferguson is probably off and those 2 are past their best but just making the point he's not that original.
    I don't doubt he would be a good acquisition but as I said if we are spending money, it is better spent elsewhere
    I think McGraths worth the risk even if it costs us £400k.

Last season our top scorers were Ferguson with 10 goals,Hedges with 9 goals,Main with 4 goals then a bunch of players on 3 goals so it’s obvious we need more goal scorers in the team.

I would rather we signed him than option B which is probably some guy from the states who has played a couple of games for Atlanta United.

Jamie McCart from St Johnstone, son of ex Motherwell defender Christ McCart?
    Calum Hendry from St Johnstone, son of ex Rangers defender Colin Hendry?

McCart is a good left sided centre back, Hendry is a hard working striker who hardly ever scores, the kind of guff we've had to endure for years under McInnes

Page 95 of 164 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast