+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 127 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1640

Thread: Summer Transfer Window (Stephen Glass’ first)

I think the main concern for numbers in the squad is centre half and centre forward.

We would normally have more players in the squad that perhaps a full back that can play centre half or a midfielder that plays centre half etc.

The concerns for quality is probably right across the defence and creating goals

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    I had Ramsay, Gurr and Jenks as youngsters who have basically played virtually no first team football.

If you have say Gallacher, Hedges and Ramirez injured/suspended at the same time we will be really struggling, if you have 4-5 out at any time we will be basically f'ucked unless the youngsters really step up
    Many on here (not saying you explicitly) have complained during the last few years of signings for the sake of signings just to full out the squad and not giving youth a chance. We cant then start complaining when the new manager says he isn't going to sign squad fillers and will give youth a chance

He sees these guys in training and works closely with the youth coaches and will know who is ready to make that step up. I think, for this first season at least, we need to trust him. If he ends up being wrong, he'll get the bullet and we move on

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    I had Ramsay, Gurr and Jenks as youngsters who have basically played virtually no first team football.

If you have say Gallacher, Hedges and Ramirez injured/suspended at the same time we will be really struggling, if you have 4-5 out at any time we will be basically f'ucked unless the youngsters really step up
    Listening to the interview I don’t think he sees Gurr in that way. And I doubt that Jenks is seen that way or we probably wouldn’t have got him from Brighton. I’d expect him to play a fair bit.

We certainly need a 3rd striker, particularly with this rumour about Ruth to Falkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrum View Post
    Many on here (not saying you explicitly) have complained during the last few years of signings for the sake of signings just to full out the squad and not giving youth a chance. We cant then start complaining when the new manager says he isn't going to sign squad fillers and will give youth a chance

He sees these guys in training and works closely with the youth coaches and will know who is ready to make that step up. I think, for this first season at least, we need to trust him. If he ends up being wrong, he'll get the bullet and we move on

Me probably.

Surely we don’t need all these coaches, only to they buy the sort of dross we’ve been spending our money on over the past few years.

That’s Messi now out of contract at Barca and available for free.

Worth a look?

If that's him about done then I fear this season. At least 1 defender short! At least 1 winger short & a Striker. Thats 3 minimum.. what a piss take.. I wouldn't rule out glass only ever playing 1 striker at a time.

As others have said, I too was very disappointed with the squad “nearly done” comment.

It’s my view - albeit not having a clue what the likes of Gurr and Jenks are like as players - that the current squad is well short of what we need to be confident of third - let alone put in some sort of challenge to the uglies.

It is beyond dispute that as an absolute minimum we need another CH - with pace - and another proper striker.

Quite what they are doing and why they are fuucking about not getting Marley Watkins back in the building I just don’t know. He absolutely 110% fits the bill of the type of player ideally suited to the style of play Glass wants us to implement. Fit the fuuck AFC?

I agree we need a winger and I personally am far from happy with the strength and depth at RB and LB.

Meanwhile we have more midfielders, especially defensive midfielders, than you can shake a stick at.

Ok we’ve got a squad currently of about 21 - but that includes players like Ojo, who aren’t good enough and need shifted, and Devlin, who is made of balsa wood and never plays.

We are also likely to face the usual last minute transfers out when the likes of Ferguson must be candidates to move on.

I’ve been a big defender of Cormack and as I’ve said I like a lot of what he’s done, but frankly his lines so far about the investment in the squad and exciting signings are not cutting the mustard.

I appreciate further signings can and probably will materialise which hopefully ease my concerns.

The squad, team and manager will have my full backing and we need to see them in action between now and xmas in order to make a fair assessment - but at the moment I have to say I’m pretty underwhelmed and rather concerned...
    Last edited by The_Moog; 01-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Third striker and two centre backs required to cope with injuries/suspensions/covid during the season.

One of the centre backs plus a winger are required to be of a superior standard if we are hoping to be better next season.

We have plenty numbers on the wing so we dont need that signing to get a team out.

So you are looking at Devlin signing and then needing three more of which we could have 2 as loans so you could say the permanent signings are 'nearly done'

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    As others have said, I too was very disappointed with the squad “nearly done” comment.

It’s my view - albeit not having a clue what the likes of Gurr and Jenks are like as players - that the current squad is well short of what we need to be confident of third - let alone put in some sort of challenge to the uglies.

It is beyond dispute that as an absolute minimum we need another CH - with pace - and another proper striker.

Quite what they are doing and why they are fuucking about not getting Marley Watkins back in the building I just don’t know. He absolutely 110% fits the bill of the type of player ideally suited to the style of play Glass wants us to implement. Fit the fuuck AFC?

I agree we need a winger and I personally am far from happy with the strength and depth at RB and LB.

Meanwhile we have more midfielders, especially defensive midfielders, than you can shake a stick at.

Ok we’ve got a squad currently of about 21 - but that includes players like Ojo, who aren’t good enough and need shifted, and Devlin, who is made of balsa wood and never plays.

We are also likely to face the usual last minute transfers out when the likes of Ferguson must be candidates to move on.

I’ve been a big defender of Cormack and as I’ve said I like a lot of what he’s done, but frankly his lines so far about the investment in the squad and exciting signings are not cutting the mustard.

I appreciate further signings can and probably will materialise which hopefully ease my concerns.

The squad, team and manager will have my full backing and we need to see them in action between now and xmas in order to make a fair assessment - but at the moment I have to say I’m pretty underwhelmed and rather concerned...
    I can't argue with any of these sentiments and fully concur. I honestly fear this coming season and am far from being optimistic. Had a couple of long chats with the club making my feelings and thoughts known before i reluctantly renewed aberDNA and season ticket. The club and management will have my full support but I really don't have any optimism for this coming season.

Page 127 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast