+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Plymouth

Plymouth

I have a mate who is an Argyle ST holder and travels to the away games - before Covid.

Haven't seen him for a while but talked on the phone last night.

He was reminiscing about the 600 Arabs who traveled south to see Luggy in that pre-season friendly. My mate, who I didn't know at the time, ended up getting rat ar$ed with the Arabs in the Barbican area after the match. He was telling me that the Argyle fans still talk of that weekend and the general consensus is that the United supporters were brilliant - boisterous but only there to pay tribute to Luggy, see their team, get drunk and have a laugh. It made me feel as proud as f**k.

I took my wife, who is Somerset born and bred and supports Torquay United. Booked into a nice hotel and agreed that Friday and Saturday were for football and Sunday and Monday we would do what she wanted. She loved the football and the atmosphere in the pubs with the Arabs. On Sunday evening her and I were having a drink in the Barbican (most of the Arabs had headed home by then) and she piped up that she really wished the United fans were still there - she thought they were brilliant.

After all those years the impression made by the travelling Arabs is still being spoken of. I don't get to see United much due to work/family/money/distance but I feel utterly privileged and proud to be a Dundee United fan.

To crown that weekend I got my photograph taken with Luggy in the Cherry Tree pub.

Quote Originally Posted by DUFCstokie View Post
    I have a mate who is an Argyle ST holder and travels to the away games - before Covid.

Haven't seen him for a while but talked on the phone last night.

He was reminiscing about the 600 Arabs who traveled south to see Luggy in that pre-season friendly. My mate, who I didn't know at the time, ended up getting rat ar$ed with the Arabs in the Barbican area after the match. He was telling me that the Argyle fans still talk of that weekend and the general consensus is that the United supporters were brilliant - boisterous but only there to pay tribute to Luggy, see their team, get drunk and have a laugh. It made me feel as proud as f**k.

I took my wife, who is Somerset born and bred and supports Torquay United. Booked into a nice hotel and agreed that Friday and Saturday were for football and Sunday and Monday we would do what she wanted. She loved the football and the atmosphere in the pubs with the Arabs. On Sunday evening her and I were having a drink in the Barbican (most of the Arabs had headed home by then) and she piped up that she really wished the United fans were still there - she thought they were brilliant.

After all those years the impression made by the travelling Arabs is still being spoken of. I don't get to see United much due to work/family/money/distance but I feel utterly privileged and proud to be a Dundee United fan.

To crown that weekend I got my photograph taken with Luggy in the Cherry Tree pub.
    Was at that game. The novelty of a booze bar open at half time was a joy to behold but several thirsty Arabs missed Fran Sadanza's goal just after half time at our end.
    That was the day of the famous Luggy post match microphone job 😁

https://youtu.be/YBaSX8T3Bw0

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Was at that game. The novelty of a booze bar open at half time was a joy to behold but several thirsty Arabs missed Fran Sadanza's goal just after half time at our end.
    That was the day of the famous Luggy post match microphone job ��

https://youtu.be/YBaSX8T3Bw0
    scumdee?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    scumdee?
    That's the one 🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

Was there with my son. Lasting memory of our supporters carrying billboard from one end of ground to the other and having a laugh with stewards (which wouldn't happen at Tannadice). Stayed a few days, hired a car and went to Eden Project. Happy days.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)