+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- The other Notts [Cricket]

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    It was indeed a very disappointing defeat, but you could sense it would never be easy if James or Montgomery got out which they did. It was not so much having the five wickets left but we had struggled all innings to get the run rate down below six.
    But thanks to Montgomery we did get the run rate below six. We only needed five per over from the last four, with five wickets in hand. That's like going into stoppage time with a two goal lead in football, and a win should have been a formality. We only needed seven runs from the last eight balls and Surrey must have been 50/1 to win, but we managed to score three runs and lose four wickets. As bottle jobs go, this was spectacular even by Notts low standards.

I know this is a competition with minimal interest, but I hate to see such a gutless surrender. Heads should roll starting with the skipper. Hameed is a competent opener in red ball cricket, but he is a liability in the shorter forms. His contribution in both runs and leadership in this tournament has been woeful.

I agree Hameed's batting has been poor but I am not sure how you can blame him for other team members poor batting. Like I said it was always going to be difficult if James or Montgomery got out, as our tail is so poor, and never easy in the last over to not even be able to have a look, against a it turns out one of the better spinners in the game. No excuses just saying it as I saw i, in the end we lost due to the amount of wides Hutton bowled, as much as anything. Good job the competition means diddly squat lol.

Not really the other Notts, but Calvin Harrison, playing for the Manchester Originals took 5 for 11 from 20 balls in the Hundred. Regardless of whether it is your cup of tea, that is a stunning piece of leg spin bowling in that format. Well done Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Not really the other Notts, but Calvin Harrison, playing for the Manchester Originals took 5 for 11 from 20 balls in the Hundred. Regardless of whether it is your cup of tea, that is a stunning piece of leg spin bowling in that format.
    Incredible figures, but I don't follow the franchise game so didn't know he'd left the real other Notts. He's been playing in all the One Day Cup games so far, but I presume he won't be available against Lancashire tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Incredible figures, but I don't follow the franchise game so didn't know he'd left the real other Notts. He's been playing in all the One Day Cup games so far, but I presume he won't be available against Lancashire tomorrow.
    It wouldn't have mattered whether Harrison played or not, we exited the One Day Cup in very tame fashion. Instead of leading by example, the skipper again did the polar opposite. If he has anything about him, Haseeb Hameed should retire from the limited overs game with immediate effect. He was an embarrassment, averaging a pathetic 13.85 at a low strike rate against some very limited second team bowlers. He can be competent in the red ball game, but most of the youngsters we played showed more fight and scored more runs than he did.

Salvaged a draw at Kent and just ran out of time to force an unlikely victory.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Salvaged a draw at Kent and just ran out of time to force an unlikely victory.
    A really good fightback when we looked dead and buried, at last we showed a bit of spirit.

It's still hard to explain why we struggled for 3 days against a very limited team. A few players owe Joe Clarke and Brett Hutton big time for their heroic match saving stand. Top of the list is Tom Moores. In Kent's first innings he conceded a staggering 14 byes, and with the bat he faced 12 balls and didn't manage to score a single run. Haseeb Hameed managed 16 runs from 40 balls in his two innings. We have too many players who keep their place on reputation and the occasional good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A really good fightback when we looked dead and buried, at last we showed a bit of spirit.

It's still hard to explain why we struggled for 3 days against a very limited team. A few players owe Joe Clarke and Brett Hutton big time for their heroic match saving stand. Top of the list is Tom Moores. In Kent's first innings he conceded a staggering 14 byes, and with the bat he faced 12 balls and didn't manage to score a single run. Haseeb Hameed managed 16 runs from 40 balls in his two innings. We have too many players who keep their place on reputation and the occasional good performance.
    To be fair that was a brilliant fightback (when I was busy preparing the obituary).

Notts are safe from relegation after a draw with Lancashire where only 84 overs were possible due to the Manchester rain.

O/T:- Notts CCC

Another debacle unfolding on a flat pitch.Florist fan Newell should have been gone years ago.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 08-04-2024 at 01:33 PM.

Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast