+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- The other Notts [Cricket]

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    So Notts don't do Bazball. A challenging but not impossible target on a very good batting pitch was never taken on, so we opted for the dull draw.

Disappointed that we didn't even try, the pitch was good enough to have a go and then shut up shop if a couple of early wickets were taken.
    Right decision for me. The players aren’t renowned for being big hitters and confidence in the Notts camp is brittle at best IMO. If they’d gone for it, they could have been 20/4 in no time, and I wouldn’t trust that middle order to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Right decision for me. The players aren’t renowned for being big hitters and confidence in the Notts camp is brittle at best IMO. If they’d gone for it, they could have been 20/4 in no time, and I wouldn’t trust that middle order to recover.
    Wrong decision for me, based on points to be gained for a win against points dropped for a defeat. Hameed was captain, he should have dropped down the order and let Young open with an instruction to go for it. If it didn't work then if we were 10/2, it should have been easy to change tactics and bat out 50 overs on a pitch that offered the bowlers very little.

We didn't even try, and played Ardleyball and respected the draw!

Well played Notts, the response we gave to their declaration was perfect. There was never a chance of scoring 6 an over against that attack. The points for the draw were far more important in our league position, to risk losing them. Were we not bowled out for under 100 in our second innings against Somerset, short memories for some of us.
    This result should build confidence and has given valuable bowling time to Harrison, and even more encouragingly Montgomery, who both looked very good.
    With the signings of Tongue and Pennington for next season, and Hameed given captaincy experience, maybe Notts are moving forward as a club. Sign Young up for next season and we will start to look like a side who could win the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Well played Notts, the response we gave to their declaration was perfect.
    What declaration? It never came, we bowled them out twice.

Good draw today methinks. An additional day we would've won.

Whoops

It was the lack of declaration that was the problem. You would have thought Surrey would have set a challenging target in the hope they could bowlNotts out. I would say Surrey bottled it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    It was the lack of declaration that was the problem. You would have thought Surrey would have set a challenging target in the hope they could bowlNotts out. I would say Surrey bottled it.
    It never looked a pitch where wickets were easy to take.

It must have been good for batting, Notts scored 517/11!

Of all the runs scored in four innings, the highest runs per over was only marginally over 3.5, so Notts would nearly have had to double that rate scoring just short of 300 runs, never easy, and the possibility of getting bowled out would have put a dampener on a very good, fighting display.

While England were brilliant today, Notts were woeful. Another pitiful batting collapse, only the weather or a really gutsy batting display in the second innings can save us from this position.

From a cricket perspective, we need constant rain at Trent Bridge and overcast skies at Old Trafford.

Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast