+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

Premier League clubs will vote on whether to scrap video assistant referees (VAR) from next season at their annual general meeting next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4n1ndlknk1o

It should be used only for goal line technology and nothing else...

Goal line technology and also cricket/tennis rules. The captain has one review in the game. If they get the decision over turned, they keep it, if it's wrong, no more reviews

Scrap it. It's not entirely accurate but is entirely detrimental to the experience of enjoying football.

Keep the technology to goal line. I can see the argument for automated offsides too as offside is a black and white decision.

I’ve always said VAR shouldn’t have been introduced and have advocated binning it at every opportunity to my PL/Championship Team supporting mates. I don’t see the point in bringing in ideas that don’t add value. I don’t see VAR as a valuer adder.

My biggest issue with all forms of technology in football is that it really defines the lines between levels of the game. For me, the professional game and all teams playing in a professional capacity should play under the same basic laws (tricky in NLN and NLS granted). If lower league teams, like us, can’t afford it, then provision should be made for it to be implemented or it isn’t implemented at all at those professional levels. I’m acutely aware that opinion comes from me being a fan of a lower league side.

I also think it must be absolutely terrible to be in a ground with zero idea of what’s going on, waiting for a decision.

Keep it! Ruins the Premier League as an exciting matchday watch and makes the EFL more of a draw for spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Goal line technology and also cricket/tennis rules. The captain has one review in the game. If they get the decision over turned, they keep it, if it's wrong, no more reviews
    VAR is often criticised for re-refereeing games or moments in games, should we be allowing players to choose specific parts we re-referee?

I think VAR will either go or (more likely) stay in its current guise. I don’t see it having a major overhaul of it stays.

I'll be honest and admit I wanted VAR but they seem to make a total mess of things so often, it doesn't help when fans actually IN the Stadium know less about what's happening than people watching on TV. Goalline Technology is nothing to do with VAR, they have that in the Championship as well, that definitely needs to stay but I'd stop VAR for a year with a view to changes being made for the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    VAR is often criticised for re-refereeing games or moments in games, should we be allowing players to choose specific parts we re-referee?

I think VAR will either go or (more likely) stay in its current guise. I don’t see it having a major overhaul of it stays.
    I can see your point but in this case, you'll find most captains waste it in the first incident and then the game carries on as usual. You could say they have two reviews but only two for the whole game then

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    Keep the technology to goal line. I can see the argument for automated offsides too as offside is a black and white decision.
    The offside rule should be amended so that the attacker has the advantage which I thought at one stage was an intention. Make it that there needs to be clear daylight between the attacker and the defender for it to be offside.

Even more radical, make it that you can't be offside is the ball is played within the opposition's half, that would simplify a lot.

VAR decisions could involve the crowd as they do in tennis. And as in tennis the manager should be allowed say two unsuccessful appeals in each half. It should not be up to the players. Players who surround the referee should simply be yellow carded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast