+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A message from Burch

A message from Burch

Head coach Ian Burchnall has urged Notts County fans to keep on believing as anger continues to mount over their current form.

The Magpies slipped to 10th in the National League table on Tuesday night after they lost 2-0 at Eastleigh which was their fourth defeat in their last five games.

They are now three points off the top seven although do have two games in hand on some sides above them in the table.

But fans fear their promotion hopes are plummeting fast with the club currently on their worst run since being relegated from the Football League.

Notts now face a huge game against Altrincham at the weekend amid mounting tension at Meadow Lane and asked what his message would be to the supporters, Burchnall said: "I imagine they are extremely disappointed.

"All we can do is work as hard as we can.

"We have eight cup finals and we need to put everything out on the pitch.

"We need to keep believing in the team. We can't stop believing in them even though we have gone through a rough period.

"We've got to keep believing in the players in there to take us up."

Burchnall said he did not feel the players are struggling with the pressure and expectation levels at Notts with the club desperate to regain their Football League status.

The head coach conceded that the current form is below the standard required, but has been encouraged by their performances between the boxes.

However, a failure to take a string of chances in the first half against Eastleigh was then punished as Notts failed to deal with a simple cross into the box to allow Andrew Boyce to score the opener.

It has been a long-standing problem for the Magpies this season and Burchnall, who was appointed as Neal Ardley's successor at the end of March, feels it is a result of not being able to deal with "critical moments."

"I don't think it's the pressure of Notts County, it's the pressure of having to perform and be better," he said.

"Every team goes through rough periods. The eight games before I came in was two wins and the eight games since I've been in has been two wins.

"That's not enough for a team that wants to go up so we are feeling like we really want to make improvements. We don't feel like we are being outplayed by teams. It's just critical moments in the games we are missing."

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Head coach Ian Burchnall has urged Notts County fans to keep on believing as anger continues to mount over their current form.

The Magpies slipped to 10th in the National League table on Tuesday night after they lost 2-0 at Eastleigh which was their fourth defeat in their last five games.

They are now three points off the top seven although do have two games in hand on some sides above them in the table.

But fans fear their promotion hopes are plummeting fast with the club currently on their worst run since being relegated from the Football League.

Notts now face a huge game against Altrincham at the weekend amid mounting tension at Meadow Lane and asked what his message would be to the supporters, Burchnall said: "I imagine they are extremely disappointed.

"All we can do is work as hard as we can.

"We have eight cup finals and we need to put everything out on the pitch.

"We need to keep believing in the team. We can't stop believing in them even though we have gone through a rough period.

"We've got to keep believing in the players in there to take us up."

Burchnall said he did not feel the players are struggling with the pressure and expectation levels at Notts with the club desperate to regain their Football League status.

The head coach conceded that the current form is below the standard required, but has been encouraged by their performances between the boxes.

However, a failure to take a string of chances in the first half against Eastleigh was then punished as Notts failed to deal with a simple cross into the box to allow Andrew Boyce to score the opener.

It has been a long-standing problem for the Magpies this season and Burchnall, who was appointed as Neal Ardley's successor at the end of March, feels it is a result of not being able to deal with "critical moments."

"I don't think it's the pressure of Notts County, it's the pressure of having to perform and be better," he said.

"Every team goes through rough periods. The eight games before I came in was two wins and the eight games since I've been in has been two wins.

"That's not enough for a team that wants to go up so we are feeling like we really want to make improvements. We don't feel like we are being outplayed by teams. It's just critical moments in the games we are missing."
    Thanks for that, I didn’t know how to use the link and was really struggling.

Was that really the case? Have we really won 4 in 16? It certainly feels like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Thanks for that, I didn’t know how to use the link and was really struggling.
    You being sarky, Lax?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post

Was that really the case? Have we really won 4 in 16? It certainly feels like it.
    The 'eight games before' included 2 wins and 4 draws, I think. His 8 only include 2 wins and 1 draw.

Yep

Ardley's last 8 - W2 D4 L 2 F10 A9 GD+1 Pts10 PPG 1.25

Byrchnall's first 8 - W2 D1 L5 F8 A12 GD -4 Pts7 PPG 0.88

Ardley's 8 were 4 home and 4 away, Burchnall's had 3 home and 5 away. I'd say Burchnall has had marginally more difficult fixtures as well, so it's debatable whether or not he's made us worse, but you can't say he's improved us.

Performances mean nothing at this stage of the season. If you're looking to consolidate or you're happy in the division you're in, then the entertainment value takes on a significant meaning, but Notts in tier 5 has to be about getting out of this league, I fear we'll end up being that club in the National League that impresses opposing managers and supporters with our attractive football and they wish us well for the rest of the season after they've thanked us for the 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yep

Ardley's last 8 - W2 D4 L 2 F10 A9 GD+1 Pts10 PPG 1.25

Byrchnall's first 8 - W2 D1 L5 F8 A12 GD -4 Pts7 PPG 0.88

Ardley's 8 were 4 home and 4 away, Burchnall's had 3 home and 5 away. I'd say Burchnall has had marginally more difficult fixtures as well, so it's debatable whether or not he's made us worse, but you can't say he's improved us.
    That’s why I’m not buying the ‘we’d never have had this kind of run had Ardley stayed’ argument. It was only the two thoroughly undeserved late rallies at Boreham Wood and Yeovil that meant we weren’t already on this kind of run.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    You being sarky, Lax?
    Yep �� sorry.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 29-04-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error

The bit I pick out from his message is "We have eight cup finals and we need to put everything out on the pitch". I'm sure a couple of games ago he said something along the lines of "We have ten cup finals and we need to put everything out on the pitch".

We still have a smallish chance of salvaging the season, so let that message become actions rather than words.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast