+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpie Circle Altrincham Preview

Magpie Circle Altrincham Preview

Worth a listen as usual. First few minutes sums up the feelings of most Notts fans:

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Worth a listen as usual. First few minutes sums up the feelings of most Notts fans:

Just paused, I'm 16 minutess in.

Mace is painting a very bleak picture, a fair few times he's implied or said outright that things are going to become ugly - or that we haven't seen anything yet (in terms of a backlash). With no fans in the stands it's very hard to assess the situation on the ground, so to speak. Social media has ratcheted up across society as a whole, so that might be a factor. I don't use facebook and rarely look at twitter for opinions on Notts, so I will be in the dark if it is significantly worse than on here. but it always *is* worse on social media than in the ground. I'm sure people would be booing at the end of games and there'd be frustration in the stands throughout, but I'd really like to think we're some way off Fullarton-type scenes. The owners don't deserve that at this stage but that's not to say people shouldn't be asking questions.

Mace's opening where he outlined exactly what Burchnall has 'achieved' abroad and how other managers who've been employed very recently in this league have performed is certainly food for thought.

Mace also said that Burchnall came highly recommended, and he queried who recommended him.. Probably some guy at the job centre..

It’s a good listen, but I don’t think the complete focus on the owners and their recruitment model being the sole reason for this season going wrong is entirely fair. You’d think we had a squad full of completely unproven kids and foreign imports. We’ve got a couple, of course, but fact is we have more proven, experienced lower league footballers in the squad than any other team in the division.

I would criticise the recruitment, but in a slightly different way. I think we’ve had too much focus on signing players who are ‘proven’ and have the ‘know how’ of playing in higher leagues, and not enough on identifying people with the attributes we want and which you need to be successful in this league. We have no idea to what extent that has been led by the owners or Ardley, though, so it’s very hard to know who to criticise or what needs to change.

I mean, lots is made of us not replacing Wes Thomas, but we did. We went out and signed and a guy who scored more goals in this league last season than either Thomas or Dennis did, and in a much worse team at that. Is Effiong’s subsequent failure to contribute anything a failure of recruitment strategy or of management? Dunno!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Just paused, I'm 16 minutess in.

Mace is painting a very bleak picture, a fair few times he's implied or said outright that things are going to become ugly - or that we haven't seen anything yet (in terms of a backlash). With no fans in the stands it's very hard to assess the situation on the ground, so to speak. Social media has ratcheted up across society as a whole, so that might be a factor. I don't use facebook and rarely look at twitter for opinions on Notts, so I will be in the dark if it is significantly worse than on here. but it always *is* worse on social media than in the ground. I'm sure people would be booing at the end of games and there'd be frustration in the stands throughout, but I'd really like to think we're some way off Fullarton-type scenes. The owners don't deserve that at this stage but that's not to say people shouldn't be asking questions.

Mace's opening where he outlined exactly what Burchnall has 'achieved' abroad and how other managers who've been employed very recently in this league have performed is certainly food for thought.
    I watched the last one, which had Leigh Curtis on, and had to switch it off after half an hour to ring the Samaritans.

Those first 16 minutes felt like 60!! Talk about painfully slow considered delivery , reminds me of Ardley build up through the 3rds.

There are only so many 'throw into the mixs' you can take at that sort of pedestrian speed.

Samaritans needed indeed.

The prospect of the NL-North did come up and somebody in the chat pointed out that we could lose Meadow Lane if that scenario played out. I'm not sure about that because of the Green estate, but it has been mentioned before about some sort of council protection that only applies if we're in the top 5 tiers.

Both Mace and Curtis agreed that it will be 10 times harder to go up next season because Grimsby will have new owners this summer with a manager who got them up before, Chesterfield and Hartlepool have come good and have the core of a team to push on, Wrexham will have the money etc. whilst our stock as the big boys of the league diminishes and we'll find it harder to attract players who might now be tempted to go to rival tier 5 clubs instead.

Mace also said we'll be viewed as a club with a lame duck head coach who couldn't even get us into the play offs (if that's how the next month pans out) and that it will be like starting next season on -20 points in terms of the pressure Burchnall will be under.

Massive game Saturday, iwhich has to be viewed as a must win now. With Sutton to follow, you'd want to go into that game with some confidence, otherwise we could be adrift by the time we play Barnet.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The prospect of the NL-North did come up and somebody in the chat pointed out that we could lose Meadow Lane if that scenario played out. I'm not sure about that because of the Green estate, but it has been mentioned before about some sort of council protection that only applies if we're in the top 5 tiers.

Both Mace and Curtis agreed that it will be 10 times harder to go up next season because Grimsby will have new owners this summer with a manager who got them up before, Chesterfield and Hartlepool have come good and have the core of a team to push on, Wrexham will have the money etc. whilst our stock as the big boys of the league diminishes and we'll find it harder to attract players who might now be tempted to go to rival tier 5 clubs instead.

Mace also said we'll be viewed as a club with a lame duck head coach who couldn't even get us into the play offs (if that's how the next month pans out) and that it will be like starting next season on -20 points in terms of the pressure Burchnall will be under.

Massive game Saturday, iwhich has to be viewed as a must win now. With Sutton to follow, you'd want to go into that game with some confidence, otherwise we could be adrift by the time we play Barnet.
    Tis true, drop lower , Council can sell ground. Not likely though. But owning buildings offers no protection. Result more like leasehold.

Well if that's a good watch, I think I will give it a miss in future.

I was in the 'Give Ardley the season but it's promotion or the door' and I am really disappointed at the start we have made under IB. I don't think it warrants this kind of criticism though.

It's a hatchet job from two close allies of the former manager. The slow paced opening Oscar's length monologue from the host was hardly balanced.

You can't take Leigh Curtis seriously when he started off saying "the one thing I've noticed on social media is the fanbase is now split since the change in manager" Lol what a joke. I gave up not long after.

Obviously doesn't read NCM because there has been a clear and obvious split all season long, oh and last season. Either that or he's just decided to ignore the extremely lengthy and infamous Ardley In/Out on here.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast