+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player ratings vs Altrincham

Player ratings vs Altrincham

No numbers, just comments.

Steele: dodgy kicking led to some panicky moments. Their goal didn't seem unstoppable. Couple of decent saves late on including a one-on-one he was well out to.

Brindley: got forward a lot when we were playing a back 5, but to little effect.

Rawlinson: pretty solid defensively, often involved in surprisingly attacking areas of the pitch when we had 5 at the back, but what can you realistically expect him to do there?

Ellis: solid enough, no miracles from attacking set pieces today.

Turner: good at doing old fashioned defensive stuff such as heading. Never looks comfortable doing anything else even when it comes off ok.

Barnett: quite involved early on then faded.

Doyle: one crap ball into touch on the left in the first half, one decent ball near the end. Apart from that nothing springs to mind. Have still never seen him boss a midfield since Mansfield in the relegation season.

Reeves: I'll be seeing him receiving the ball, pirouetting, and passing backwards tonight in my nightmares. Have never seen him boss a midfield ever.

Ruben: Inconsistent but provided the only moments of excitement when receiving the ball in tight areas and accelerating forwards. As well as the goal he provided a sensational 40 yard pass along the ground for Enzio to run on to (yes apparently it is within the rules to play vertical passes behind the opposition defence!) for our second best chance of the game. Had to be subbed at his regulation 75 minute limit. Is he a cholesterol addict injecting intravenous chip fat in his spare time? Is there an injury we don't know about? MoM for us anyway.

Enzio: good runs saw him get into several positions where you expect him to do something spectacular, however today his end product was spectacularly bad.

Wootton: a corner fell to him at a good height about four yards out early on. I don't know exactly what happened cause they didn't show a replay, but I expected the net to bulge and predictably it didn't. Along with Reeves and Doyle he's one of the untouchables who always starts when fit, but while we are pretty much the lowest scoring play off chasing team we scored four when he was suspended for a game. I'm starting to think it wasn't a coincidence, and that he needs a rest as he's not really affecting the game in other areas either.

IB: I've spent all week sticking up for him after good recent performances, but after that I am as worried as I was after Eastleigh at home. I'll repeat what I said then - If that's how he wants them to play then we are ****ed as it is the same as Ardleyball.

Subs: Chicksen got into numerous good positions in the advanced left back role, but then meh. Knight I honestly can't remember, Knowles seemed to try to affect the game but didn't really.

A special mention for our crossing which was again almost comically bad.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ruben: Inconsistent but provided the only moments of excitement when receiving the ball in tight areas and accelerating forwards. As well as the goal he provided a sensational 40 yard pass along the ground for Enzio to run on to (yes apparently it is within the rules to play vertical passes behind the opposition defence!) for our second best chance of the game. Had to be subbed at his regulation 75 minute limit. Is he a cholesterol addict injecting intravenous chip fat in his spare time? Is there an injury we don't know about? MoM for us anyway.
    Ruben is the most creative midfielder we've got and he needs a consistent run of games now, because it's not as though the other contenders for his place have produced anything worthwhile despite far more opportunities. He's obviously still adapting to the English game (not least because he's had relatively few games) and he does drift in and out of matches, but frankly we'll just have to live with that in return for the moments he can produce. In fact, the more he plays and gets used to the pace and physical demands of the league, the more confident, consistent and influential he may become.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Ruben is the most creative midfielder we've got and he needs a consistent run of games now, because it's not as though the other contenders for his place have produced anything worthwhile despite far more opportunities. He's obviously still adapting to the English game (not least because he's had relatively few games) and he does drift in and out of matches, but frankly we'll just have to live with that in return for the moments he can produce. In fact, the more he plays and gets used to the pace and physical demands of the league, the more confident, consistent and influential he may become.
    Yes I agree. I would even go out on a limb and say Sam is not a total lost cause either. Pretty sure Ruben will have played his way into the manager's plans with that performance though.

Also encouraged by the manager's comments. He sees the problems and didn't offer any pathetic excuses like the grass being too long, or the opposition making it hard for us.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yes I agree. I would even go out on a limb and say Sam is not a total lost cause either.
    Far from it! He's a work in progress.

Elisha Sam has actually produced a decent goal return relative to the number of games he's played, albeit it seems clear that he plays best attacking rom wide left rather than as a centre-forward, despite his physical appearance.

The same basic criticisms have been made of Rodrigues and Sam, that they are very inconsistent and can disappear from games, and this seemed to make Ardley - and more recently IB - reluctant to trust them. I'd turn that fact on its head and ask why we're signing players like this if we're not prepared to give them proper time to adapt to a completely different style of football?

We've obviously looked at the stats and noticed their abilities, which we've seen in bursts, but did the management seriously think these players would arrive "oven ready" and just merge seamlessly into a new league? It's not impossible, but in most cases, foreign imports take time to adjust and if you're going to sign them, you should be ready to commit to give them that game time and let them learn on the job.

I wouldn't mind, but like I've said above, it isn't as if the other players competing for their positions have produced consistent results anyway.

Good posts here, refreshing to read

Far from it! He's a work in progress.

Elisha Sam has actually produced a decent goal return relative to the number of games he's played, albeit it seems clear that he plays best attacking rom wide left rather than as a centre-forward, despite his physical appearance.

The same basic criticisms have been made of Rodrigues and Sam, that they are very inconsistent and can disappear from games, and this seemed to make Ardley - and more recently IB - reluctant to trust them. I'd turn that fact on its head and ask why we're signing players like this if we're not prepared to give them proper time to adapt to a completely different style of football?

We've obviously looked at the stats and noticed their abilities, which we've seen in bursts, but did the management seriously think these players would arrive "oven ready" and just merge seamlessly into a new league? It's not impossible, but in most cases, foreign imports take time to adjust and if you're going to sign them, you should be ready to commit to give them that game time and let them learn on the job.

I wouldn't mind, but like I've said above, it isn't as if the other players competing for their positions have produced consistent results anyway.
    Yeah I think with both of them (but to a greater extent with Sam) we seem to be unsure of their best positions and so try to crowbar them into the wrong positions, rather than playing to their strengths. In Sam's case I think our fixation with playing in front of the oppostion neutralises a lot of his strengths.

As Notts fans we all know what crap strikers look like, god knows we've seen plenty over the years, but not many of them have the ability to run at people and hit powerful shots into the corner with no backlift, or score scorpion kicks.

Hopefully next season will be a breakthrough season for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Good posts here, refreshing to read
    I agree, enjoyed the original post and a well balanced thread overall.

On the whole it was a massively disappointing performance yesterday. Against an out-of-form team with nothing to play for in low mid-table, we ended up slightly fortunate to even get a point. A couple of the players who came into the team showed why they hadn’t been playing. And the back 3 failed again as we just don’t have the players suited to it (particularly while Lacey’s out).

Major improvements needed for Tuesday.

Steele - 6 - Should’ve saved the goal. Made a couple of decent stops second half but overall I don’t think he’s proved himself a necessary signing; you don’t have a sub keeper all season & then loan a semi-retired 36 year old to go in ahead of him when the first choice is injured.

Rawlinson - 5 - Tries but just isn’t good enough on the ball to be one of the wide centre backs, who are required to bring it out of defence and get forward regularly. Much more comfortable back in a 4 in the second half.

Ellis - 6 - Generally ok.

Turner - 5 - See Rawlinson but even more of a stark case with him. Strange decision to play him over Chicksen.

Brindley - 5.5 - Always feels like he’s playing within himself slightly. Has pace to burn and a brilliant right foot but never tried beating his man and getting a cross in, instead taking the easy sideways/backwards pass option. Skillset is tailor made to the wing back role but didn’t exploit the extra attacking responsibility at all. Ironically the one time he did take someone on won us the free kick we scored from.

Reeves - 5 - Usual array of sideways, backwards and misplaced passes with no positive impact.

Doyle - 7 - The one player who I disagree with the original ratings - thought he did well and tried to make things happen. Passing was good.

Barnett - 4 - Missed a good chance when in a great position after 2 minutes and didn’t get any better. Continually gave it away and poor defensively. Right decision to hook him at half-time.

Rodrigues - 7* - Was having a shocker in terms of his final ball until he scored the excellent free kick just before half time. Was comfortably our best player after then, one brilliant through ball to Enzio the highlight. Strange move to take him off but showed enough to suggest he’s worthy of a run in the team - no way we score without him in this game.

Boldewijn - 4.5 - I’m a fan but he really disappointed. Never once looked to take anyone on, wasted good attacking positions, didn’t use the ability has to threaten players who should be way, way below his level. Missed a good chance afforded to him by the brilliant ball through from Rodrigues. Not sure if it was down to a lack of confidence but was very lucky to complete the 90.

Wootton - 5 - Barely noticed him - probably can be attributed to the lack of service, but when he did get the ball he should’ve done more, notably with two headers in the first half.

Chicksen - 5.5 - Saw plenty of the ball but always took the easy option so didn’t really contribute. Is more suited to the role in the back three rather than a more attacking full/wing back position.

Knight - 5 - Very poor, played a full half but was anonymous.

Knowles - 5 - An awful 15 minutes out of position on the left wing, repeatedly gave it away and nearly gave them a goal at the death passing along our 18 yard line.

Meh. Let’s hope we improve against Sutton!

Not sure that NA could allow himself that time. I suspect he realised that he was not going to be here after this season unless he got promotion and therefore became increasingly fraught with his team selection. ES & RR were too inconsistent for him to rely on as part of a team needing to be promoted. Hopefully, IB & MR have a little more time to find a nice fit for them in next season’s challenge. Maybe, and I know that it will be difficult for me, the answer is not to expect immediate promotion but to see development of the team on the pitch such that we are confident that promotion will soon come and we will then have a side which will easily sustain our re-acquired league status. Who knows such a team may go on to even better things. I seem to remember that is what was achieved under the guidance of JS & SA.

BTW - Jackal - please continue with your sensible and thoughtful posts.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Chicksen - 5.5 - Saw plenty of the ball but always took the easy option so didn’t really contribute. Is more suited to the role in the back three rather than a more attacking full/wing back position.
    Yeah, and that's a pity. And McCrory's the same really. Barnett can do it but is erratic and shaky.
    If you want to get out of this league as one of the top 2 teams, you're going to need that attacking option from full-back, guess we have to add left-back to our list for Santa.

(I think 3-5-2 would mean new right-sided defender, new right wing back, new left wing back, so Santa would probably say just fcuk off)