+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Notts match and season results

First match was against Luton in 79,I can't remember the score but I know that Notts won
    I had previously only gone to watch Arnold FC but upon finding work at Daybrook Laundry and Arnold playing away I decided to watch a bigger game,Forest was away and Notts at home and the rest has been a rollercoaster ride,it didn't help that the first season that I supported Notts that lot across the Trent won some tinpot cup or other 🙄

first match

First match was 11 December 1965 v Doncaster Rovers .... my grandad took me on freezing Saturday afternoon. I was running up and down the (rather empty) terraces on the Kop to try and get warm!

Lost 1-2 and finished mid-table that season

7th August 1977 a 0-0 v Nottingham Forest in the Anglo Scottish Cup.

Being born a stones throw away from the City Ground in WB my family was all red. My dad took me expecting me to follow the family tradition...Been black and white ever since

3-2 against Blackpool, 87, Div 3 mid table (i think) finish, end of Sirrels era but can remember as a young fan collaring him for an autograph coming out of his office from the Barrel stand before kick off at one of the games.

Notts v Bath City 5th Dec 1959 FA Cup 2nd round. As a nine year old I was gutted.
    BBC Match of the Day cameras were there looking for a giant killing performance from the non leaguers and they got it. Notts lost 0-1. I bought the programme and ticket stub off eBay a few years back.
    Notts were playing in the old 4th division having been relegated for two consecutive seasons. They still managed to get promoted back up to the third tier that season but had to wait until the 1970s before they made it back to the second tier with Sir Jimmy at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    February 24th 1990 Notts County 1 Huddersfield Town 0. A Gary Lund goal in the last minute sent me home happy!
    Remember that game as the worst bit of time wasting ever seen at ML.

A Huddersfield player went down after jumping for the ball.

A stretcher was eventually called for, Huddersfield had used their subs wasting more time. He was eventually taken off only to roll off the stretcher and run back on the pitch as play began again.

Lunds toe poke to the top corner in fergie time was complete justice.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    It pays to read the question properly! You said in a competitive match.

Kilcline was the first 60s child to make a league debut for Notts. In the same game another 60s child came on as substitute, Paul Manns. But he'd made his debut in August 1979 in the League Cup against Torquay. So I reckon it must be him.

Yes, it was Paul Manns and he had also played in the Anglo-Scottish shortly before the League Cup tie at Torquay.

Raddy Avramovic was the player born in 1949 and the oldest Notts player at my first game, but we would have one additional player born in the 1940s who would end his career at Notts in 1984/85, Dave Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    The good old days...
    Too young to properly remember the first, but I think it was against Coventry about 1984/85. Think we won 2-1. Always stood in the bit where Haydn Green is now.
    Probably Saturday 17th March 1984 Notts County 2 (O'Neill, Christie (pen)) Coventry City 1 (Peake)
    O'Neill scored a cracking goal on the half volley, Coventry's line-up included Sam Allardyce.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I can't remember exact but I think it was Exeter 1959/60
    We only played Exeter at home once between 1949 and 1967 and that was Saturday 19th September 1959, won 3-0 Forrest
    Horobin, Roby. If the goal-scoring order is correct then you can say Forrest scored the first goal you ever saw live, for County.

My first time at the Lane was October 14th 1950 versus Luton Town 34,000 in the Lane that day. My Dad who used to watch Notts Home and Away when he could scrounge a lift sat me on his shoulders in the old Spion Kop as it used to be known it was a 2-2 draw with Sewell and Johnston scoring for the Pies.
    That day was the best day in my life at that time, to be taken to see the Pies by my Dad he started my love affair with Notts the best thing he ever gave to me. It was the first of many days at the Lane with him, the crowds were amazing back then and the smell of the rubbing oils from the players when the came close by as you watched from behind the white wooden fence great times.
    Thanks Dad, I am sure he would still be going today down to the Lane if alive, but like most of us saddened by our demise.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast