+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Shankland misses out on Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Come on mate they are both still playing games of football. Hibs are a better team than us but they are hardly Barcelona. Billy Dodds came into an awful United team and scored a ton of goals.

I'm not saying there is loads between them. If I had to pick one to be in my team I'd pick Shankland. But in terms of their seasons, Nisbet has had a better one overall. If that is down to him playing in a better team then fair enough, but it's still a fact that he's scored more goals and probably exceeded expectations for Hibs whereas Shankland unfortunately performed under our expectations in terms of goals scored.

Worth noting Nisbet has also been deployed on the left of a front 3 on numerous occasions this season for them. At the end of the day we cant really complain that he was in the squad ahead of Shankland.
    Dodds came into more attacking team than one we watched this season . I'm not saying I don't rate Nisbet the boy knows where goal is just don't agree to compare them this season but others want to thats upto them

Can Nesbitt and Shankland be directly compared?

I think Nesbitt is the one who has developed better at very similar times in both players careers, but maybe that is down to the different place each team is in from their championship recoveries.

I happened to listen to a radio interview with Jack Ross a while back, and he said about Nesbitt that he has been asked to fulfil 3 of 4 roles in the team, and while not happy at the time, i think he understands the improvement in his overall game. Im struggling to come up with the right words to convey what i mean about Shankland, as while he works hard for the team, he is a different player where you get the service to him and a goal usually follows.

In a nutshell, you get both of these guys in a team together with the right players around them, then thats quite a defence needed to keep them quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Can Nesbitt and Shankland be directly compared?

I think Nesbitt is the one who has developed better at very similar times in both players careers, but maybe that is down to the different place each team is in from their championship recoveries.

I happened to listen to a radio interview with Jack Ross a while back, and he said about Nesbitt that he has been asked to fulfil 3 of 4 roles in the team, and while not happy at the time, i think he understands the improvement in his overall game. Im struggling to come up with the right words to convey what i mean about Shankland, as while he works hard for the team, he is a different player where you get the service to him and a goal usually follows.

In a nutshell, you get both of these guys in a team together with the right players around them, then thats quite a defence needed to keep them quiet!
    And we could have got Nisbet from Raith for free at the same time we got Shankland. That would have been brilliant.

Nisbet is a very good all round striker. He has similar attributes to say, Harry Kane, in that while he's deadly from 6 yards out, he does a hell of a lot of work outside the box. He pulls defenders out of position, makes great runs in behind, has a good range of passing and is generally far more than some people think - ie a penalty box striker. 18 goals in his first Premiership speaks volumes for the boy. I hadn't seen much of him at Dunfermline but the times I've seen him for Hibs he's been very good. He's gone to the perfect team for the kind of striker he is tbh.

Fk Nisbet, has he scored from the half way line? He'd never score a goal line that, doesn't have the vision.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Fk Nisbet, has he scored from the half way line? He'd never score a goal line that, doesn't have the vision.
    Or the desperation because of lack of service!

Perhaps the Scotland manager just adjudged Shanks as not being International standard but circumstances in the league gave Mellon little opportunity to play a more open game with the squad he had

Mellon departs United

Wonder what Lawrence is thinking? 😎

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Mellon departs United

Wonder what Lawrence is thinking? 😎
    Thank f uck probably ha ha

John Fleck tests positive for covid (was he in george square). The most surprising thing is he is actually in our euro squad in first place

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)