+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heard it all now

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Got to be a wind up surely. M&S wouldn't be so stupid. Would they?
    Quote Originally Posted by OWV View Post
    So you haven't read the M&S statement then?
    Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    I think with terms such as white privilege the objections are almost always coming from being told what you are and then being accused of in this case racism if you dare to disagree. If more subtlety was used with the language it would probably make for a far more constructive debate in public life that would hopefully lead to positive outcomes for those who need a leg-up.

Totally agree WCV. The key words are being told!!! Being told by Cameron not to vote Brexit so many dig their heels in and do the opposite! Taking the knee - Southgate what an idiot by going on about unity blah blah and togetherness!! Southgate should have simply said I respect those players who want to take the knee and also respect those who don’t! Equally I respect supporters who hopefully applaud those taking the knee but understand any objections ie booing. To infer those who boo as uneducated is outrageous and any players who don’t want to take the knee will do it for fear of being dropped! Grealish is a revelation but if you asked him in private whether he likes taking the knee - I could guess what the answer would be! Why if Grealish did not want to take the knee for example - why would let’s say Mings care?

Surely everyone is an individual! I have friends who religiously go to church - good for them but they would not expect us to have the same beliefs or values for example!

Going back to the point - everything is going in reverse because people are being told and their views are being inflicted on others!

Then there are white people jumping on the band wagon like the idiot CEO of M & S and pundits to be perceived to be ‘ on side ‘

My mum’s dad was a postman and her mum was a barmaid who worked until she was 80 at The Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate which BaggieAL will no doubt know of?

My dad’s dad was a bus driver and his mum left home and school in Durham at the age of 15 to move to Harrogate to be a nurse in an orphanage in 1926, she worked as a shop assistant later in life.

All good, solid hard working people all of their lives.

My dad was one of the first six non fee paying kids to win a scholarship to the ( still ) prestigious Asheville College in Harrogate in 1946.

I suppose the “Liberal Elite” and the like would label me as “privileged white”.......if they’d seen my mum and dad struggle financially in the 60’s and 70’s that term would’ve seemed laughable!

The truth is though, I was privileged, privileged to have been born into and brought up by such honest and hard working people who were dripping in integrity!!

Privilege has always been about money and who you know. Mick is right though the real privileges in life are honest to goodness lessons and examples in integrity. White privilege is something that the white upper members of society have, almost anyone on TV for example had university educations, rich parents or relatives that were producers or in the "business". There will be rich Black people too who have far more privilege than any of us have. Its the poor, always has been who are underprivileged because they don't know anyone with any "clout" and don't have any money. The society ladder has ever decreasing gaps between the rungs as you ascend. The lower down you are the harder the next step is. In fact the first rung is purposely made so damn high that most people just come to "know their place"

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Privilege has always been about money and who you know. Mick is right though the real privileges in life are honest to goodness lessons and examples in integrity. White privilege is something that the white upper members of society have, almost anyone on TV for example had university educations, rich parents or relatives that were producers or in the "business". There will be rich Black people too who have far more privilege than any of us have. Its the poor, always has been who are underprivileged because they don't know anyone with any "clout" and don't have any money. The society ladder has ever decreasing gaps between the rungs as you ascend. The lower down you are the harder the next step is. In fact the first rung is purposely made so damn high that most people just come to "know their place"
    Brilliant post!

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post

Spot on Boingy! Whilst my own parents were not rich I was privileged to learn from them the need to have a work ethic - damn hard work which made me get on in life.

Asian parents place education as top priority for their children which is why many work all hours under the sun and this work ethic is instilled into their kids to reach for the stars! Many do through sheer hard work. Good luck to them.

Others don’t get off their backsides and don’t have any work ethic! They then expect the world to owe them a living or have chips on their shoulders!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)