+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swindon FC

Swindon FC

The next Southend? Manager has left after a month along with his back room staff. Chief Executive has also left amid a legal battle for the ownership of the club.
    Could be a long season for them next season

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The next Southend?
    If so, I hope their fans that celebrated us going out of the league enjoy the slide into oblivion and that our fans give them some stick if/when we next meet, hopefully in our case on the way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If so, I hope their fans that celebrated us going out of the league enjoy the slide into oblivion and that our fans give them some stick if/when we next meet, hopefully in our case on the way back up.
    Would be lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Would be lovely

There but for the grace of God................

We were on the brink!

Personally, I dont take joy in stuff like that. I remember being at the old Meadow Lane and beating Luton so that they came down with us out of the top flight. All Notts fans were singing 'you're coming down with the County' etc...it wasn't pleasant. The only joy we took from that day is that we managed to beat a team and pull them down with us in to (what was then) 2nd tier football. Why were we so arsed about that?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't begrudge Swindon fans giving us the big 'F Off' on that poignant day. It's just what some fans do.

If we beat Forest and pulled them down with us, I'd understand, but Luton? Not even arsed.

I believe in Germany it's called Schadenfreude.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Personally, I dont take joy in stuff like that. I remember being at the old Meadow Lane and beating Luton so that they came down with us out of the top flight. All Notts fans were singing 'you're coming down with the County' etc...it wasn't pleasant. The only joy we took from that day is that we managed to beat a team and pull them down with us in to (what was then) 2nd tier football. Why were we so arsed about that?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't begrudge Swindon fans giving us the big 'F Off' on that poignant day. It's just what some fans do.

If we beat Forest and pulled them down with us, I'd understand, but Luton? Not even arsed.

I believe in Germany it's called Schadenfreude.
    I hated Luton at the time and was really pleased we got them relegated. Their chairman had banned away fans, which along their plastic itch, gave them a very unfair advantage and, as a Tory MP, he was one the most vocal cheerleaders of the football ID card system which virtually everybody else in the game was opposed and successfully defeated. Ahead of the 1997 election he described his unmarried Labour opponent as "a single girl" with "three bast3rd children" and then lost his seat. Luton also allowed Fword to beat them in two cup finals, the FA Cup in 1959, which had pretty huge ramifications for Notts, and in the League Cup 1989ish.

I remember chanting “You’re not going to Wembley” to Luton Town’s Steve Foster after a booking saw him get a suspension from the 1983 FA Cup Final - we were in footballs top flight then !!!

Didn’t he play for Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Didn’t he play for Brighton?
    Yes it was Brighton. Probably a unique incident in British football when he tried to get sent off in the manner in which he did. Incredible selfishness when his team were still fighting against relegation - Foster literally caught the ball with two hands in mid-air in the middle of the pitch, looked at the ref and invited him to send him to the dressing room so he'd miss the next league game rather than the FA Cup final over accumulated yellow cards. Can't imagine anybody else doing that. He got to play in the replay which they lost 4-0, the man was a disgrace, I'd have never played him again and put him on the transfer list if I was the manager, but it was the whiny Jimmy Melia who went crying to Sport on 2 over the 'injustice' of it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast