+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling All Autograph aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I did check they had ESPN first…
    Been meaning to go up there for a summer holiday. Been told area around Bar Harbour is pretty nice. At least 8h drive for me. With summer traffic probably longer.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Been meaning to go up there for a summer holiday. Been told area around Bar Harbour is pretty nice. At least 8h drive for me. With summer traffic probably longer.
    I’m currently near Rockland and Rockport, but have often gone up to Bar Harbor/Acadia around this time of year.

Great for hiking and the town has enough going on restaurant and shop wise to keep most people happy.

Worth the trip if you can stomach sitting in the car for so long!

Maine lobster v Brittany lobster ?

Both your American (Maine red) and (Brittany blue) lobster are delicious.Not quite sure of the location and fishing methods with which Maine lobsters are fished but the price of Maine ones over here in France is 50% cheaper maybe due to strong European seasonal fishing regulations.

I've often watched the locals here unload at midnight straight from the boats onto the lorries for fresh deliveries because once its fished out in the legal cages buyers here require that it is not kept in water tanks for months before being sold.

To see the boats coming in is really an experience especially in all weathers so whatever the price they all get they sure damn earn it.

Lobster fishing is done using cage traps (must be the same there) and it is extremely territorial and heaven help anyone crossing the line or messing with anyone else’s business!

There is a strict season with acceptable size limits and other restrictions. The ones here are either soft or hard shelled depending on when they’re caught or where they are in their growing cycle.

Or summat like that.

Ours might even speak French too, given we’re so close to Diet USA (Canada)?

A “prepared” lobster roll (basically some picked meat in a smallish hot dog bun with some butter or mayonnaise) costs about $20 or so.

Many supermarkets have live lobsters in tanks for sale, which seems miserable for them to me. Not enough to stop me eating them though.

Not cheap, but 100% yummy!

Back to the original topic…

I’ve spent many hours looking at signed player shirts trying to work out signatures (often juniors or back room staff are there too).

Particularly from the eighties, when numbered shirts were intended to last and be worn for an entire season, often by players with quite differing heights or builds.

The shirts were often signed at end of season dinners and the suchlike, so a quick look at the attendance list usually helped.

Collectors prefer dirty match worn shirts tied to specific games nowadays. It’s not that uncommon for a different shirt to be worn in each half: at least a couple are available for each player for every game.

There’s a kit book coming out soon for those interested. A few of “my” shirts made it in!

Anyway, lobsters!

Mum is still chasing the jersey worn by Gary Sprake v Celtic in 1970 Euro Cup semi-final and put out a shout for it on here last year to no avail with piccie & YouTube vid of the Italy v Wales WC qualifier game when Italy's keeper Enrico Albertosi gave it to him.Albertosi played for Cagliari and the club was appealing for former player jerseys for their new club museum to exhibit.
    Two Leeds United goalkeepers wore international jerseys for first team games during the 1970s. Gary Sprake set the trend by wearing the Italy shirt for the club's European Cup semi-final against Celtic back in 1970 while David Harvey wore a red Scotland international jersey during a league match against Leicester City in 1978.

Anything in the book about it ?

Finally - lobster news !

The beach bar I work in serves cheaper frozen and more expensive fresh rock lobsters which are considered a 'specialty product' with certain requirements in handling and storage so the USA frozen pieced, dried & salted rock lobsters have become a good alternative
    The European Union agreed to eliminate tariffs on USA lobster as Mr Trump had threatened higher tariffs on European cars if the EU did not end the lobster duties.
    In exchange the USA also halved import taxes on some $160m/£122m worth of European goods including cigarette lighters and certain crystal glassware.
    That agreement last year was big news as it was the first tariff reduction the two economic heavyweights have agreed in more than two decades so not good news for Uk folks regarding post Brexit fresh/frozen lobster exports sadly.

I’ve not seen the accompanying text that goes with the book (I’ve supplied raw images of some of the shirts I own), but it’s intended to cover the first hundred years, so probably doesn’t fully go into the weeds (of Leeds!), so to speak. There could always be a follow-up book though!

I’m not even close to being the Oracle for anything prior to the eighties (and, even then, others often have much better examples), but I definitely should have a Sprake and a Harvey in there somewhere…

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Finally - lobster news !

That agreement last year was big news as it was the first tariff reduction the two economic heavyweights have agreed in more than two decades so not good news for Uk folks regarding post Brexit fresh/frozen lobster exports sadly.
    Two "Economic heavyweights" LOL!!! - the EU will be no more in less than ten years IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)